Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, restored) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, restored)
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-29-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this? It's billed as a digital restoration. Just wondering if it's as super wonderful as the Singin' In the Rain restoration.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it wasn't restored by Bob harris then it hasn't been restored!!
Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-30-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, who cares...I don't! What a POS movie! I can think of many other more owrthy of restoration.

>>> PHil

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were new prints released in the UK by the British Film Institute in '98 or '99. Very patchy, I thought, and it looked like differential shrinkage between the Y, C and M o-negs had caused varying degrees of misregistration in places. Individual sections ranged from brilliantly sharp and dense to a blurry mess.

So I would have thought that this film is an ideal candidate for the digital treatment, given that presumably you can now just scan the three strips individually and have the computer register them.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of film restoration, yesterday I looked for Film-Tech on AOL, and accidently came across an interesting web site: Film Technology Company. Vintage restoration 8mm - 35mm picture & sound.

www.filmtech.com

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 08:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I hold Bob Harris' work in the very highest regard, especially his emphasis that a film restoration must result in printable film elements. But he is not the only one who does this work and if you ever have the opportunity to see the Singin' restoration you should check it out as the resulting film prints (the only end product that matters!) are superb. The sharpness was incredible.

I made a point of walking up to the Virginia Theatre's huge screen while test running a reel at Ebertfest (having previously run a different print a couple times at my screening room) and I could not detect any digital artifacts, just the random film grain one would expect. And the very saturated color seemed to be a good approximation of IB Tech--at a sharpness level that I think the real thing would be hard to match.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-30-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that the SITR restoration looked and sounded great.

Warners made new prints of Robin Hood in 1998 for the WB 75th festival that toured around the US. The one that I ran looked about as others have described--not wonderfully sharp and with some mis-registration of the 3-strip elements in some scenes. The sound wasn't especially good, either.

I had the good fortune of seeing a nitrate IB print of this a few years ago at the Egyptian during the first IB Tech fest and it looked stunning in every respect. Hopefully it can be restored to its former glory.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't be difficult if the o-neg seps haven't got to stage 2 of the decomposition process yet. I would have thought that it would be a pretty simple software task to register the three scans of each frame and then add the colour. Given that the frames are Academy size (i.e. each outputted pixel on the new prints will be magnified a lot less in projection than for 1:1.85), even 2k scanning should give a pretty good result.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 10:17 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of the SITR restoration is especially gratifying in light of the fact that the 3 strip camera negs perished long ago in a vault fire. Shrunken or not, I'm under the impression that the Robin Hood negs still exist. In fact, UA was churing out some fairly impressive LPP Robin Hood prints in 16 and 35 in the early '80's with incredible saturated colors, although I can only guess how many generations were lost in the pre-print.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Phil, This is the one with Errol Flynn NOT Kevin Costner! (LoL) [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2003 09:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I thnk you mis-read, mis-took, or mis-understood my post. I certainly agree he is the one and only......
Turner and others have done some supposed film restorations using other labs that looked shameful and were a joke. Hence Bob is definately the one and only!!
Anyway, I agree with Phil.....The film is a bore! there are far more important things in need of restoration.
Mark

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Adventures of Robin Hood" IMHO is a Technicolor classic that has stood the test of time. The picture ALWAYS made great money for us in rep and in my book that mkes it very good indeed! LoL. The magnificent score by Korngold. The deliciously Fey performance of Claude Raines, the snarling of Basil Rathbone and (at least for me) the Technicolor beauty of Olivia DeHaviland make ol Errol's magnum opus tops in my book. If this film isn't worth all the care the Restorationists art can muster what is? I'll be handling a print of this in about a week and I have an IB to compare it to. I'll report back. [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-01-2003 10:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fred, I know... [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 05:59 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
browsing the new castro theater calendar, i see they claim a "3-strip technicolor restoration with new digital sound". whatever that means, it can't be what it sounds like it means since the technicolor lab is shut down.

really fun film though; don't listen to the haters.

carl

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-02-2003 06:15 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The Castro is a super-cool theatre! I love it! [beer]

It probably means they took the original 3-strip archive stuff and printed it to a modern tri-pack inter-negative for making restoration prints.

BUT! That film still sucks! [Razz]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: