Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What to bring when moving. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What to bring when moving.
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-26-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, for those of you that don't know...in about 3 weeks time (3 weeks and 3 days to be exact) I am moving from the home I've known all my life in Gloucester Massachusetts half way across the country to Wisconsin. Life in Wisconsin is very different then what I am used to although from my visits I seem to like it very much. I have no doubts about what I am doing and I feel that it is the right move at this point in my life, not only am I moving to a great area but I am moving to be with a great guy. [Smile]

My question...Should I bring anything special to help me remember who I am? I've lived in the same area 22 years of my life (yes, I'm 22), the same house for 21. [Smile] Is there anything particular that people have brought with them during big moves to help them remember where they came from?

There are the obvious things, being from a fishing town I am going to try to bring a small bottle of Gloucester sand and I'm probably going to get a boston night photo to frame, but is there anything else?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-26-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring something, because you can never, ever go back. Once you leave it will no longer be your town, and it will forsake you just as you have forsaken it. Things will change rapidly and your memories will be shattered. Nothing will ever be the same... ever. It will be much, much worse.

Have a fun time moving! [Big Grin]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-26-2003 08:28 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks alot! [fu] [Big Grin] [fu]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wig, maybe...?

p. [Big Grin]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might consider taking cuttings from a favorite garden plant.
Even though you can order most anything from a local nursery or catalog, it may be sentimentally consoling to have a lilac from
back home (lilacs make lateral shoots that can be dug, with their roots, wrapped, and planted in your new garden.) Or in season, cutting and drying some zinneas or other annuals in a brown paper bag, and planting their seeds near your front steps, can produce lots of happy colors.
Have you a favorite quilt from your Grandma?
And don't forget your Yankee bird feeder. Be sure to send your new address for your favorite New England pictorial magazine subscription.
Here's Wishing you lots of happiness in your new home!

==Gerard

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also important to remember to take yourself. Sometimes we take ourselves for granted and forget the obvious. It is not the best situation when we move all of our stuff to a new location and we haven't made it and can't quite figure out what is wrong with this picture.

Or is this just a recurring bad dream of mine?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-26-2003 10:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Take EVERYTHING you can possible take! Ya CAN'T go back and get the crap you threw away!

BUT DO NOT take any plants or cuttings... alot of states prohibit bringing those things cuz of introducing problems for "native" plants.

Good Luck! And remember: California CHEESE comes from happy cows....not that crap from bored and ugly and sad cows from Wisconsin!

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2003 11:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to take your house. That is far more important to take with you as a reminder of who you are and where you came from than a plant. Also, be sure and take your driver's license. That way in case you forget your name you will have it written down for you to reference.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2003 02:15 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked to travel light - after all, it's just stuff and most of it's replaceable. I'd much rather be unencumbered in my new surroundings. It's a lot less stressful, too.

Hope you're getting along okay, this is the first I've heard.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2003 03:28 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can take me with you I am supopsed to be your best friend for christs sake!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2003 06:54 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Wisconsin are you moving to?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-27-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading this post and I think I am in SHOCK.I must be really dense and maybe I should stay that way. I went back and re-read the "Hey Don, I kow how Old you are."thread. [Confused] That kind-a-sort-a answered my questions.

Nothing like dropping an atom bomb on my head.

This will take me some time to absorb before I can comment. [Eek!]

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 05-27-2003 10:43 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should bring along all of your happy memories - leave the sad and the bad ones behind, as they will leave room for some new happy memories from your new world without losing any of the good ones from the old world. You are going to be with a wonderful guy, who truly loves you for who you are, and is going to go out of his way to make sure you are safe and happy. Of course pictures of you with various family, friends, pets and favorite places or objects will be essential to bring along as well!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-30-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring clean underwear. You never know when you might have to strip for law-enforcement and have a body cavity search. I speak from persoanl experience.

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel,
Wisconson is a great place and the fall colors are magnificent. Be sure to make it up to Door County at some point. What town are you moving to? I used to travel all over Wisconsin doing work on theatres.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: