Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DCinemazone forum aka Movie Sound Page shutting down on June 1st

Author Topic: DCinemazone forum aka Movie Sound Page shutting down on June 1st
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCinemazone forum formally known as the Movie Sound Page is shutting down as of June 1st. The reason for shutting down the forum was the expense of maitaining the site in addition to Perry Sun's very busy activities at Widescreen Review Magazine. I have been very active at that forum for several years now when Brad Miller, Gordon McLeod and MarK Gulbrandsen were also active participants. Thanks to Perry Sun, I had a lot of fun at that site. The forum will be missed.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-26-2003 09:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Widescreen Review is still around? I remember that mag. It was written by very talkative people. They went until every single detail describing something to the point where you pass out from boredom. They made HUGE issues out of the tiny details and nearly ignored the bigger "in-yo-face" details that were obvious. An LD player's manufaturer forgot to put a "left" audio output jack and it only has a "right" output? Ignored. But a discussion on the quality of the sound at exactly 12.3343khz and how it was "slightly ambiguous" would last at least 8-12 pages. I did like it years ago because it gave me lots to read. But now I just don't care much about home theater anymore. Where do they even sell Widescreen Review? I haven't seen it on a newsstand for ages.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as Claude knows, I recently tried to apply for membership there but never received a reply. Based on the lack of activity on the forum lately it's no surprise that it's shutting down.

Widescreen Review has improved over the last couple years and I still find it readable. Although editorially-speaking, it's always seemed a little "sophomoric" to me, even now. Examples of things that bug me about it: Why does Gary Reber think readers care about see him standing next to "celebrities" in so many photos? Why do they use the same tired phraseology in their DVD reviews over and over again: Like "The .1 LFE was found wanting". If I had a dollar for every time they've used that word "wanting" to describe picture or sound. But like I said, it has gotten better lately and I still read it. Though the issues have gotten a lot thinner since they started publishing more frequently. [Frown]

Note to Michael Coate: Don't take my comments personally. [Big Grin]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to contribute to DCinemazone, but my password was lost and for many months I would try to retrieve it through their on-screen menus and would be promised an automatic e-mail which never came.

I always got a kick out of the groupie mentality over a particular sound system. I remember one member who raved over one system over another at an L.A. 4-plex (which had both in different houses). Problem is, it became clear with a debate over APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX that he had the wrong auditorium the whole time, and the speaker system he THOUGHT was the superior one was actually a different sound system than the one he raved over. When I pointed that out to him, there was one less groupie that posted there.

I.m wondering how many others stopped participating simply because they could no longer get access due to some technical glitch?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Widescreen Review can easily be found at a lot of outlets in Honolulu. They include Tower Video, Borders, Waldenbooks and a few other places. Like Dave, I do enjoy reading the magazine but usually skip the technical stuff about high end equipment. The software reviews are excellent with Perry Sun's comments on sound.

Paul,

I am very sorry you felt the people at the DCinemazone had a 'groupie:' mentality. I altually found everyone there very nice and very respecful to each others opinions. The only proplem I had with the people at the forum was trying to get them off their butts and contribute more topics so we can get more discussions going at the forum when the forum was dying. I did get comments like "I am too shy and that is why I do not participate as ofen as I should' which disappointed me very much. The best times the forum enjoyed was when it was known as the Movie Sound Page with Brad, Gordon and Mark posting almost every day.

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 01:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only proplem I had with the people at the forum was trying to get them off their butts and contribute more topics so we can get more discussions going at the forum when the forum was dying.
Well, as I said, I really wanted to contribute for months, but was locked out and couldn't ever retrieve my password. I have it now (thanks to an f-t friend) but since learning of its demise, I decided not to post.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to see it go. [Frown]

I was a regular participant over the past few years.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-08-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After lingering on for a few days into the month of June, I thought Perry Sun had changed his mind and was going to continue to keep the DCinemazone forum open but that hope faded when the site was finally shut down today. I had a lot of fun at that forum and it will be missed.

-Claude

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-08-2003 03:42 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted there a couple of times, but was under the impression that there were very few participants. So I never returned to look after a few weeks. And why should I have? We can discuss all the subjects, cinema, sound, dcinema, home entertainment etc here.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-08-2003 03:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I don't sound too "elitist" but Film-Tech kicks ass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: