Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Missing Animal Rewards -- Legal Rights??

Author Topic: Missing Animal Rewards -- Legal Rights??
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it is just myself but a $500 dollar reward for a lost cat seems a tad excessive! I just can't imagine forking over that money to get a 'replaceable' animal back. But than again, I am a pretty cheap guy.

-

On another note, what prevents the cat's real owners from just not giving the reward once the cat is brought back? Just because it is printed on a flyer; (& placed every 5 feet on the apartment complex property) doesn't hold up to anything, right? You would have no legal recourse if they didn’t ante up, RIGHT? Can you file a police report for stolen/lost property such as, an animal?

This is all hypothetical, I am just very curious.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-25-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's put it this way. Cat or dog....or any pet for that matter does not make any difference.

The go-around last week with the vet bills for Poopers was almost $480.00. About three years ago, he hurt his back very badly. That vet bill was $400.00. Poopers is 17 years old.

That should answer at least the first part of your question. [Smile]

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure, but I doubt that a printed flyer could be considered a binding contract. Besides, it doesn't even look like they were willing to pay a few bucks to get Lucy her own nametag, they just yanked the one off of Gus's poor dead body and slapped it on her.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they meant to put $50.00?? (If you haven't seen that episode of WKRP that attempt at humor won't make ANY sense.)

That does seem odd that they'd put a tag saying Gus on a cat named Lucy... The poor thing probably has gender confusion issues. [Big Grin]

All joking aside, I do feel badly that they've lost their cat. I think of my cat as a (bratty) child, and I would be devistated if something happened to her.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-26-2003 01:21 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So all understand, I have four cats, one dog, and five hermit crabs...

Thier names are...

Cats

Orion... Male... Likes to pretend he is a Tiger...

Shasta.. Female. Believes she is the Queen Bee of the house...

Moldavia. Male.. The blackest of black cats... Even looks like those halloween black cats when he arches his back and goes poofy and gets those red eyes and looks possesed, otherwise a teddy bear...

Gabby.. Female.. never shuts up... NEVER... Was abused as a kitten and we rescued her and she is very skittish...

Dog

Dopey.. Male... Put bull/lab mix... Named after dwarf dopey from Snow White.. and is just as smart... Keeps running into poles and fences as he runs with his head turned to the side.

Hermit Crabs...

Tank.. From the Matrix..
Smoochy.. From Death To Smoochy..
Herbie.. From The Love Bug..
Sebastian.. From The Little Mermaid..
Stewie.. From The Family Guy.. He is the smallest but keeps taking the biggest shells, we figure he is trying to take over the world...

All of these pets keep my blood pressure down, my happiness level up, and my sanity at the current level of insanity without going totally nuts. They are part of my family, and easier to take care of then children. Plus, you outlive them.

Dave

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt the owners are afraid if they don't act quickly their beloved cat might fall into the hands of someone like the Senate Majority Leader, Bill Frist, who would go to shelters and tell them lies about giving strays a good home only to take the cats and conduct medical experiments on them.

The foregoing is documented fact. The following is speculation: Did he have struggle to supress a chuckle when the animal shelter folks would give him instructions on care and feeding?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often wonder...Do people steal pets, only to show up saying they found them, claiming rewards?

As for the amount of the reward, my first Siamese was free, but of course I made a donation to the shelter; the next two were adopted when their owner died, and her partner refused the compensation I offered; My present pair of Siamese cost $350 each, from a breeder, when they were so young they looked like white mice. The pet shop next to the U.A. Midway theatre charged
$800 and $1200 each for their kittens!
But pet cats are like one's children, and without them and their antics and love, my house would seem a lonely place indeed!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-26-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first cat (really my mothers) who only about 2 weeks ago never returned home was free, but I can't even begin to guess the amount of money he racked up at the vet because he had to have a leg amputated when he was 10 years old.

My other kitty that I still have (my baby!) cost me about $85 in shelter fee's. I adopted her when she was 3 1/2 years old.

All of the dogs I have ever had were free except this last one, she is a dalmation that we got from a breeder and she was actually cheaper then the others because she was the runt, but she was the cutest of them all! She cost $350.

When you have a pet, you love them like family--otherwise why have them at all?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent $635.45 on a 18 year old black cat 2 years ago.
I buried her last June. She gave me 19 years of pleasure.
Her name was Prissy. Named after a GWTW charactor.

Current line-up of cats:

Billy---a 25 pound gray Tom. He scares people. He's a big baby, and sooo dumb.
Baby----a beautiful longhair. Black and white. She's evil.
Seven---The runt of the litter. She and Baby are sisters, and marked alike. Seven is MUCH smaller under all the hair. She's the smart one.

Everyone here (except ME) is 'fixed.'

IF I lost a cat, and could afford a $500 reward, I'd do it. No question about it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2003 11:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Kraus wrote:

quote:
No doubt the owners are afraid if they don't act quickly their beloved cat might fall into the hands of someone like the Senate Majority Leader, Bill Frist, who would go to shelters and tell them lies about giving strays a good home only to take the cats and conduct medical experiments on them.

The foregoing is documented fact. The following is speculation: Did he have struggle to supress a chuckle when the animal shelter folks would give him instructions on care and feeding?

Lots about it on the web:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20030113/04/

quote:
On the ethics of using animals in research, Frist said in his 1989 memoir, that his dedication to preserving human life is what led him, while in medical school, to adopt cats from local shelters, treat them as pets for a few days, and then dissect them. Although the animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has used this revelation to pressure Frist to support animal welfare legislation, Frist is unlikely to change his long-standing support of the humane use of animals in medical research, said Frankie Trull, president of the National Association for Biomedical Research. "As a pioneer in transplantation surgery, Frist obviously understands the role that laboratory animals play in medical research."

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/04/Worldandnation/Lott_will_take_over_a.shtml

quote:
Frist practiced surgery on cats while in med school
WASHINGTON -- When Bill Frist, the incoming Senate majority leader, was a student at Harvard Medical School he "adopted" cats from Boston animal shelters, promising to give them good homes. Instead, the budding heart surgeon used the cats to hone his operation skills, killing the creatures in the process.

Now a GOP senator from Tennessee, Frist confessed in his autobiography to both his prevarication and his vivisection and expressed remorse.

But People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals isn't about to give a pass to Frist, who owns a dog but no cats. PETA vice president Mary Beth Sweetland is demanding he atone for his sins by backing federal spending on inexpensive nonanimal alternatives for medical research

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone recently suggested to me that members of PETA should volunteer themselves to the medical establishment for testing and experimentation instead of using animals. Many things could be accomplished here. First of all, no more testing on animals. Also, the PETA people can feel good about actually making a difference instead of crying, whining, and convincing short sighted people to leave PETA a large part of their estate.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not personally against necessary animal medical research. But these animals were obtained under a fraudulent pretext of adoption, and then killed by an individual with personal motives, rather than dissected in a classroom setting under the supervision of an instructor.

After my father died, his body was used for medical research. Our whole family supported his decision. But I'd sure hate to lose a pet, and find that some medical student claimed it at the shelter and killed it to dissect it for personal enlightenment. [thumbsdown]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-30-2003 05:58 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's remember that it wasn't Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist who did this, it was Bill Frist, the self serving, power hungry, opportunistic, sadistic pet killer Bill Frist, who later became the Self Serving, Power Hungry, Opportunistic and Sadistic Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.

Let us not forget the distinction. [evil]

Dave

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-30-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Andrew....How true.

Maybe you can convince all and "...can feel good about actually making a difference instead of crying, whining, and convincing short sighted people..." about the evils of protecting animals.

While I don't agree with some of their methods, I agree with their cause.

Gotta run for now... I'm grilling steaks and it's time to start the Webber.

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: