Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Attitudes Ease Towards Medical Marijuana (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Attitudes Ease Towards Medical Marijuana
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite efforts by the White House to crack down on marijuana, lawmakers in states across the nation have shown a willingness to separate marijuana from other banned drugs because of claims that it can be used for medicinal purposes.

OK, I don't have a problem with that. I think it is a good thing if that is what it would be used for.

Sometimes I think the reason why it has been illegal in the first place is because it grows literally anywhere and the authorities do not know to "Tax" it.

Although I don't use illegal drugs of any kind, I must say this:

1. Prescription drugs of any kind can be extremely dangerous if used improperly.

2. Over-the-counter medications can be equally dangerous if used improperly. Just because you can buy them at a pharmacy does not make them safe by any means.

3. Drugs of any kind should not be used unless they are needed for health reasons.

4. Excessive beer and booze is bad for you. Notice I said excessive. It has been medically proven that a glass of wine, a shot of whiskey, or two 12-ounce cans of beer has great medical benefits. (OK, now you can say BS to that if you would like....but there has been two cases where I have been in the hospital for a couple of serious problems, and in-house prescription by the doctor was *you guessed it* was two cans of beer a day. They even asked me what kind I preferred...)

Tobacco products are very bad for you. But they will probably never become illegal...because of "Tax" collected on them. Same holds true for alcoholic beverages.

As far as I know, marijuana does basically the same thing booze will do....it makes you goofy. However, there are two major differences.

1. Alcoholic beverages can become physically addictive, marijuana does not.

2. If one drinks too much booze, that individual could pass out. If one smokes too much "Bud", they get goofier and usually don't pass out. That's the problem! They can become so goofy that they are nothing but a "hunk of meat" and will probably kill themselves or somebody else by trying to do some stupid thing that nobody in their right mind would even think of even if they were blasted on booze.

I support legislation of allowing marijuana for medical purposes. But that is all I will support about it. If one chooses to smoke pot for recreational purposes, then they should be dealt with the same way a person is who becomes a DUI or domestic violence case.

What really frosts me is when organizations will pass out "free needles to shoot up" with in public and completely ignore them.

One block down the street, they will arrest someone for drinking a bottle of beer in public.

What's the difference? Plenty. The guy or gal who drinks in a public has the money to pay the fine. The unfortunate sole shooting up in public does not have the money to pay a fine, and it would cost too much to rehabilitate them.

You figure.

Hey, if anyone thinks I am wrong about my assessment of the situation, please tell me. I am always interested in hearing and listening to someone else's opinion. [Smile]

If you smoke pot for recreational purposes, don't smoke it around me. If you can honor that, I won't smoke cigarettes around you. [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well written Paul.

I would really have no problems with Marijuana used in a percription basis for medical reasons espically when it finally becomes available in tablet form (what ever happen to this? I thought that someone was working on this for years now?). However I find it amusing that college students will hold rallys in support of Medical Marijuana use when you know darn well that legalizing it's use in such a limited basis isn't what they REALLY want. I just hope that when it does finally become legal that the law will be inforce to the same extent as someone who illegally possesses any other kind of prescription drugs.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-23-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very true that prescription drugs can be much much worse than good ol mary jane.

For instance, I take six different prescriptions.

Gabitril - to prevent seizures
Zoloft - for depression and polynueropathic pain
Lortab - for extreme pain in outer extremities
Naproxen - for moderate pain in joints and soft tissues
Xanax - for anxiety and IBS
Ambien - for sleep

As a result, I can no longer drink my favorite beverage, "Mikes Hard Lemonade", under any circumstances (i.e. I would die).

All this because marijuana is illegal for even for medicinal reasons.

You know I spend about 700 dollars a month on this stuff, and somehow I just don't think that some hard lemonade and mary jane would cost me that much!

Dave

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-24-2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I am sorry to hear you have some serious medical problems. I would not wish something like that on anybody because I, too, have "been there" and probably will be there again.

I certainly hope that whatever the ailments might be, you will have the strength to beat them and live a pain-free happy life. [Smile] [Smile]

Keep on'a Truckin' [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-24-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marijuana in itself really doesn't bother me, but smoking does. I don't care WHAT you smoke, whether it's cigs, weed or crack. That's just nasty! Smoke. Travelling through the lungs. And the stench. Oh wow gotta be a part of that!

I probably would support legalizing marijuana for recreational use just like booze if it didn't stink so damn much and didn't require smoking. Also, people like to think that because marijuana isn't physically addictive that it is safe and has zero nasty side effects.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 03:25 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, an oral form have been available from doctors for many years. I'm not sure of the name.

However this is a bad idea in most cases. People who use MJ often do so to combat naseau and increase appetite. If you are nauseous you are not going to want to take a pill and guzzle down a glass of water.

I've also heard the drug companies are working on an inhaler form, that would be a good thing.

Jon Todd
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 05:49 AM      Profile for Jon Todd   Email Jon Todd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a oral synthetic marijuana, known as Marinol. But, it is not the real thing, and does not work nearly as effectively.

More recent facts and studies had proved that marijuana is not nearly as harmful than once thought, which certainly can't be said for tobacco cigarettes. Those cancers stick need to be taken off the market, and the kind bud should be legal for all over the age of 19 or so.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting as the US is now interferring in the canadian lawmaking process that would decriminalize it period in canada just like it is in many parts of europe when posession for personal use is not a crime and they don't seem to be stoned out of tit over there at all

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-24-2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the support Paul. At least I am mostly at home now, instead of spending so much time in the hospital. Let's just say I have a very long journey in front of me. I am suffering from a very painful disorder called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, which causes the Sympathetic nervous system to literally attack the body with pain. With no cure, the only treatment is medication and motion, mobility, excersize and never stopping. It is excrutiating to live with, but the drugs help a great deal, and I even can play a few minutes of basketball a week now, so all is not bad. Sometimes I can walk, sometimes I am confined to a wheelchair, it varies, kind of like life does!

Upon Utah Jazz frontman John Stocktons retirement, he said "true that I haven't won a championship, but the journey was well worth the effort".

I too live by that credo. I never give up. Six months ago they were going to take my foot off, but I refused and kept at the treatments, and now it has had some recovery and the muscular structure is healing, so I get to keep it. You just never assume that the end is the end. The journey is always worth the price of admission.

Oh yeah, this was supposed to be about POT!!! With all these drugs I tend to wander.. A LOT!

I too also despise smoking. Smoking pot is in fact very nasty, but the effects it has for people like myself are amazing. But because it is illegal, I do not have any "legal" access to it.

If I did, I would probably rather do that than all this other stuff I have to take. Then again, I may not. At least I would have the option.

Dave

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-24-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think marijuana should be kept illegal. Aside from the medical justifications for some who smoke it, marijuana is not proven to be harmful. It is certainly isn't dangerous like legal tobacco products.

Nicotine is horribly addictive (same level of physical dependency as heroin and just as hard to quit). Although marijuana gets you high, it is not addictive at all.

The main reason why most states and the federal government continue to keep MJ outlawed is they claim it is a "gateway drug." They do have a valid point with this. Many people don't think it is "cool enough" to just do pot. They graduate to using much more intense and dangerous drugs like crystal methampetamine. Years ago I would have agreed with the government's view point completely. But now I don't. Why? Because newer, younger drug users are bypassing pot completely and going straight for hard drugs like crank and extasy. The rave crowd largely sees pot as either a drug for older people or for rappers.

To finish, pot use should have some controls to it, such as consequences for selfishly irresponsible and dangerous behavior like driving when you're high or going to work high. If someone shows up at work high as a kite, the employer should be able to fire him on the spot. The same should hold true for those who show up to work drunk as well. Driving while high should carry very severe penalties equal to the most severe drunk driving penalties.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont smoke pot because it makes me feel sick and just plain "sketchy". I dont know wether or not I would choose to smoke it if it didnt affect me negatively... Most people that support legalization have something to gain from it (ie; they want to smoke it) I dont but I think it should be legalized and taxed the same way that cigarettes are. Why not make it the same as alcohol and make it only legal to consume in your home or in certain liscensed establishments? Also, If someone stands to gain some medical benefit from smoking then who is the governement to not allow them the freedom to live without pain?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-25-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is "pot"?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-25-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As might be predicted from my other posts...I'm not into the government banning things in this country. And protecting us from ourselves is definately not on my approved list for the government of this country...therefore, I would support the full legalization of marijuana...and just like other drugs, I'd have nothing to do with them.

Steve

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 01:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to see the people condemning marijuana for its supposed effects on people, and calling for this that and the other thing to be done with it and those who use it have admitted to never using it even once! Those who have tried it either think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, or found it was not the thing for them and moved on, but not called for the incarceration of all who use it.

quote:
If one drinks too much booze, that individual could pass out. If one smokes too much "Bud", they get goofier and usually don't pass out.
You're right, Paul. It should be noted that if one drinks too much booze, one can also DIE from alcohol poisoning. There has not been a single documented case of anyone dying from using too much marijuana.

quote:
They can become so goofy that they are nothing but a "hunk of meat" and will probably kill themselves or somebody else by trying to do some stupid thing that nobody in their right mind would even think of even if they were blasted on booze.
Okay, this intrigues me. Being a college student, I've been to my fair share of parties. There's always the drinkers and the smokers. By the end of the night, the drinkers are usually on the roof seeing what they could throw down and hit. The smokers are usually safe indoors watching cartoons and eating cookie dough ice cream. [Smile] So unless you've seen someone "act goofy" to the point of inflicting harm on someone, based on personal experience I really don't see the logic in your statement. The only time I saw someone being attacked by a person who was high to the point of insanity was in "Reefer Madness".

quote:
I probably would support legalizing marijuana for recreational use just like booze if it didn't stink so damn much and didn't require smoking.
Joe, two words: SPACE CAKES!

quote:
The main reason why most states and the federal government continue to keep MJ outlawed is they claim it is a "gateway drug." They do have a valid point with this.
Actually Bobby, there was a study that showed most teenagers tried alcohol and cigarettes before they even went on to marijuana. I would safely say that the booze and cigs weren't enough, so they moved up a notch. So technically, nicotine and alcohol are gateway drugs, they're just legal gateway drugs. And the REAL reason the federal government keeps it illegal is because too many people are making too much money off of the "Drug War"

quote:
Most people that support legalization have something to gain from it (ie; they want to smoke it)
While that may be very true for most, the main reason many of us support legalization is because of the lives that have been destroyed and the families that have been torn apart, the billions (yes, BILLIONS) of dollars lost each year and the overwhelming crime this "Drug War" has caused and continues to do so. As long as everyone protects themselves from the lies of the government, there will be progress.

quote:
Interesting as the US is now interferring in the canadian lawmaking process that would decriminalize it
The US? Interferring in another country's affairs?!? Surely you MUST be mistaken! [Wink]

And if marijuana should be kept illegal, what about hemp? You can't get high from that... Oh yeah, that's right. The cotton, petrolium, and lumber companies keep the politician's pockets stuffed too tight for them to even consider it. *SIGH*

=TMP=

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-25-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that just about everybody who has posted on this thread is for the legalization of the drug, but people keep responding stating more and more points as to why it should be legalized as if it is a huge argument here. I'm not really seeing any argument at all.

I pretty much agree with Sean. Legalize it but treat it similar to alcohol. Thomas said something about the weed smokers being inside nice and safe during parties and the like, but being high off of any drug impairs judgement and slows the brain. That can be dangerous. Should it be banned? No... legalize it all and the people who abuse excessively can die in car wrecks and it'll be survival of the fittest. They won't be missed. I support the legalization, but you'll never see me marching with a sign about it, writing my congressman or anything like that. Kind of a ho-hum issue for me. Other issues are far more important right now. No need getting my panties in a wad just 'cause some people can't have fun without getting high. Hardly a priority at all.

Medical is another issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: