Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Excellent theatres in central Florida?

Author Topic: Excellent theatres in central Florida?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I will be spending a week in Florida (Orlando) starting tomorrow (5/24). Any recommendations on awesome/excellent/amazing theatres to see while we're there? We usually always wind up taking in at least one movie when we're on vacation.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't had the opportunity already, there are a few megaplexes you might look into:

AMC Pleasure Island 24, on the grounds of Walt Disney World. Yes, there's an AMC [Big Grin] close to the Magic Kingdom. THX and giant-screen shows, too!

Muvico Pointe, on International Drive north of Sea World. Every Muvico megaplex has a theme setting. As the Mouse is nearby the Pointe's theme is a "Dreamy Storybook".

Universal Cineplex, near Universal Orlando. Too bad you didn't schedule your trip for next month since that's when Shrek 4-D opens.

Regal Winter Park Village, along US 17-92 in suburban Winter Park. One of Regal's many "Cinema Art" megaplexes with arty as well as mainstream product. This week Winter Park has The Dancer Upstairs (Orlando exclusive), Bend It Like Beckham [Smile] and A Mighty Wind.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2003 02:03 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks....might have to check that Muvico out. We've been to the Pleasure Island before...that's where I saw [dlp] for the first time ("Shrek). Have walked around the Universal one but have never been inside.

I wish we could pick the dates for the trip, but we can't...3 days of it is taken up with a conference related to my wife's job. Unfortunately I have to relax by the pool while she's in meetings [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Have a good Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This week Winter Park has The Dancer Upstairs (Orlando exclusive), Bend It Like Beckham and A Mighty Wind.
Yes. We ran a sneak preview of The Dancer Upstairs before Winter Park came and got the print.... without a center ring.... and two clamps.... [eyes]

You should really pay a visit to the luxurious Carmike University 8. Probably no other theater in the Orlando area can boast MONO sound in FOUR auditoriums, complete with center aisles! Nestled in the corner of the fabulous K-Mart Shopping Center, the Carmike University 8 will take you for a trip down memory lane to the shoebox multiplexes of the 1980s without even leaving the decade! [Big Grin]

Mike -- I'd like to meet up with you if possible! I think it would be cool to have a mini F-T gathering. Maybe I can even get Ken Lackner to come too, if he ever gets that xenon dislodged from his rectum. [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-26-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rectum? I heard it damn near killed him! [Eek!]

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, that Carmike sounds like a moviegoer's dream! I know where I'm headed, next time I go to Orlando! It's in the K-Mart center, you say? Movie AND shopping without ever moving the car? What more could you ask for??? [Big Grin]

(Sadly, this sounds like the sort of theater my mother would go to. She goes to the nearest theater playing the film she wants to see, regardless of how much of a dump it is.)

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone ever gets to Kona, Hawaii, be sure to check out Wallace's Makalapua 10-plex, right NEXT to K-mart!!! No other stores to distract you from the finest in shopping and entertainment. [Roll Eyes]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should really pay a visit to the luxurious Carmike University 8. Probably no other theater in the Orlando area can boast MONO sound in FOUR auditoriums, complete with center aisles! Nestled in the corner of the fabulous K-Mart Shopping Center, the Carmike University 8 will take you for a trip down memory lane to the shoebox multiplexes of the 1980s without even leaving the decade!
Someone call Scott Neff! That sounds like a place straight out of an erotic dream of his. [Wink]

Can you get pics?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit. I wish I'd have started this thread sooner. Just didn't think of it until we were almost outta town. (My post on 5/24 above was written at 2:00 in the morning, about 2 hours before we headed for the airport!)

As it turned out, we decided to go to the Universal Cineplex and saw "Bruce Almighty" there, in the #19 auditorium (upstairs). Presentation was OK except for the first item on the screen was a commercial, which started cold, and had no sound for about 15 seconds. There were no sound slugs or any chain stuff or Universal plugs, which surprised me.

We also wandered around the lobby of the AMC Pleasure Island, which we've been to before. Nice place.

We went to the Magic Kingdom at WDW...saw the "Hall of Presidents" and I was pretty appalled at the condition of the films there. The center print had bad base-side scratches on the right side of the picture pretty much throughout the show, and the same print had splotches every now and then, as if there were drops of paint on the film. The same thing happened on the right-hand side but not as often.

On the bright side, at least there were no idiots snapping flash pictures, which usually happens in that attraction when the presidents are unveiled.

I didn't need to check out that Carmike, there are plenty of crappy Carmikes within driving distance of me, since they own half the screens in Montana.

We will be going back to Orlando again next year, so I'll start a thread sooner the next time! Thanks for all the replies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: