Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Proms Are Getting Strict. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Proms Are Getting Strict.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-21-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People seem to squawk about new rules and laws. Quite honestly, I am one of them. However, when I read about the contents this link, I think it is in order.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-05-20-prom-cover_x.htm

If the kids would act like young ladies and gentlemen as they are supposed to at a social function such as a Prom, this problem would not exist.

We never had problems like this that I know of when I was a teen-ager in the mid 1950's, but sadly, times have changed.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have problems like this in 1975 when I had my prom either.

I went through a spell in the 1980's when I drank alot, but now, if I drink a beer or two, I will have bad headaches in the morning... So I dont drink anymore.

Young people grow up so quickly these days...

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had a horrible accident here in Goffstown NH that involved teens and booze. They estimate the car was doing over 90 mph in a 25 mph zone. It had enough velocity to tear off the front of a garage, uproot several trees, and finally come to rest upside down. The male driver was thrown 30 feet from the car, the girl occupant stayed with the wreck. Miraculously both survived but with very serious injuries. I don't know if this was associated with a prom but I know several were being held that night. It's too bad we don't understand our mortality at an earlier age. I wish there was a solution to these kinds of problems that was easy to implement, but that's asking a lot. I only hope all the talking I do to my kids about drugs and booze is sinking in.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that they told the kids "YOU come up with a workable plan yourselves, or there won't be any more proms." [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-21-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting to me that kids always harp about "expressing their individuality" to no end, but then suddenly toss that aside and conform with the masses when it comes to alcohol and drugs. Why? Because they are stupid. I have never had any interest in drugs of any kind or alcohol. Sure I'll have a few drinks on special occasions and whatnot, but I don't consider getting drunk a great time... don't quite see the allure. Maybe I am retarded?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself don't really see the point in getting drunk, not only is alcohol a potent disinhibitor, it dehydrates you! [Razz]

Heh, and going to prom isn't such an 'individual' thing to do anyway… [Roll Eyes]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...the guys get patted down while the girls only have their purses checked? Sounds like illegal sex discrimination.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-21-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe said:
quote:
It is interesting to me that kids always harp about "expressing their individuality"
I have to agree.

But I think most kids are good. It is the not-so-good 10% that screw it up for the rest of them. I think it goes back to family values. I see where there was several adult arrests in the hazing incident in Illinois. Those adults have been accused of supplying 3 kegs of beer to the hazing party. The adults that were arrested were parents of one of the students that attended the hazing.

True, we live in a "free society", but some of the people (kids and adults as well) seem to think "anything goes." Well, if they think that way, they really missed the boat big time. They better go do a little research on responsibilites and respect for and towards society, themselves, and others. There are limits to everything.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If those kids were smart, they would ditch the high school proms and go to this one.....

http://www.geocities.com/thunderstruck_under_the_stars/

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-22-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the vast majority of the current crop of kids are good. The few bad apples, as in the past and as always, give all kids a bad name mostly because of the 11:00 PM News hounds looking for a story. After all, it IS ratings month!

In the cited story/link, I think it's perverted that the Asst. Principal "pats down" the male students. At the VERY least, and ***IF*** school authorities felt it was necessary, they should hire independent professionals such as off-duty police. I'm wondering if Mr. Calen "enjoys" feeling around young guys for "things"? AND, of course, girls are known to hide things in other places than their purse. What a JOKE!

I also think it is VERY much harder to be a kid today than in the past. Because of technology, the lack of moral/religious/spritual goals and ideals, and the "me" & "instant gradification" attitudes, etc. in our society, it is even more important to be responsible adult parents and set honorable examples. Unfortunately, not many do.

Most of the youth problems arise because many parents DO NOT supervise their kids. I mean, kids will be kids. They will ALWAYS challenge the convention and try to push the envelope ...and this is natural ...and good! BUT! They NEED limits and being held to them or deal with REALISTIC consequences. NOT some wimpy parent who thinks their "precious" would "NEVER do anything like that!" Or those that is afraid to be a REAL PARENT!

While I was no angel when in High School (Or Jr High...ummm or grade school...), I agree, I could never understand the lure of getting wasted on booze or drugs and spending the night speaking to the porcelain god or worse. (Actually, I WAS an angel in H.S.) [Big Grin] Hell, the only thing I was thinking about at my senior prom was if I was going to get laid or not! [evil] I didn't! (DAMN!) [Frown]

I think a lot of parents are more interested in being "friends" with their kids and their friends rather than being PARENTS.

The recent example of the low-life POS's in the club "initiation" points to the fact that NO ONE will take responsibility for their actions. The fact that the parents of some of the students are pursuing legal action against the school for "disciplining" their "angels" makes me want to toss my cookies! [puke]

It is a sign of the times... COMPLETE disregard for personal responsibility and the "cover-your-ass-blame-anyone-but-yourself" for YOUR actions. What is really sad is the LLPOS parents AND lawyers that teach the slackers that it's OK to "Do unto others, before they do unto you". [bs]

I think those parents AND lawyers should be belittled and serve time themselves! [thumbsup]

FLAME OFF

Have a nice day! [Smile]

>>> Phil

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High School kids are alot different than 18 years ago when I was in school.

Having worked in the Nashville area as a mobile DJ, I did my fair share of proms. They started off great in the late 80's, but by the mid 90's... they all sucked. The kids were jerks, beligerent, and didn't give a crap what guidelines I had to follow as far as the music was concerned.

My high school prom (1985) was held in the school gym. Most of the ones I attended as a DJ were always held in a very nice upscale hotels or a huge paddle wheel'd riverboat. The teacher sponsors and faculty really never seemed to get it. They would spend $3000.00 to rent the ballroom at a hotel, spend another $2,800.00 on chicken fingers and chocolate chip cookies, another $2,000.00 on decorations and fake plant rental... but they always.. always bitched and complained if the DJ tried to charge more than $350.00 for the entertainment!! That was always the case!!

Proms here in Nashville always seemed to follow the same pattern year after year. DJ starts the music at 7:00 p.m. - and nobody dances for an hour, they just looked at us and said.."You suck". From 6:30 p.m. until about 8:30, most of the students stood outside in the lobby in line for pictures. At 8:30, they would come into the ballroom and maybe dance (mostly not). At 8:45 p.m. all of the seniors and their dates would go back out to the lobby to get lined up for senior presentation. Presentation's always sucked. The teacher sponsors would always insist on using the microphone provided by the hotel which fed the muffled speakers in the ceiling.... when we had a 3000 watt sound system sitting idle about 20 feet away.
After the presentation, they crown the King and Queen (which was usually a jock and a cheerleader) then they'd have the "Senior dance". As soon as the senior dance was over (usually by 9:20 +/-) the place would clear out like someone yelled "fire" in the building, leaving me, my partner, and the "Special Ed" kids there by ourselves until 11:00 p.m.

The very last prom I worked, I was on stage, had the place rockin' and some obnoxious black dude kept coming up to me demanding that I play "Master P". When I finally told him there was no way I would play it... he flashed me the inside of his tux jacket to reveal a shiny looking chrome pistol. He looked at me and said, "I bet you gonna play it now mother fu**er!!"

At that point I realized it just wasn't worth it anymore. I could have been on the other side of town making $1,200.00 at a Saturday night wedding reception, where I was usually handed a $20.00 bill to encourage me to play a request... not a gun in my face.

Maybe there are some good kids left somewhere... but most of the ones I encountered were thugs.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-22-2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, it is a shame you had to go through sumething like that. I am sorry. [Frown]

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 12:47 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two good kids! They have both been taught to respect others and empathize with their feelings. They'd never act like the kids you mention here. As for the gun, I would have sucker punched the bastard with everything I had. I'm 6'1" 240 pounds. Used to be a football player. I would have put him in intensive care.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-22-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, in this case, two sucker punches would have been better than one. Someone should have done it to that dude along time ago.... [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-22-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I hope your negative experiences haven't jaded you toward life...it sorta sounds that way. You will be dealing with a lot of kids and the public in general as an owner of a theatre/drive-in.

Dealing with the general public and the low-lifes is the main reason I didn't open a theatre. I don't need that crap. [Mad]

As I mentioned in my post above, I agree times have changed. But, percentage-wise, I don't think anything has drastically changed. There were low-lifes, violent, and demented people in the 50's, 40's, 30's ...hell even in Biblical times. I'm sure there are DJ's that got muscled and had guns pulled on them because they didn't play some record in the 50's "payola" era.

So far as sucker punching that guy... I would have just pulled out my .357 and shot him. I mean this IS Los Angeles! [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: