Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Link to a cute old Eastman Kodak industrial on good film handling. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Link to a cute old Eastman Kodak industrial on good film handling.
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 11:46 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On www.archive.org there are a lot of public domain industrials (Jam Handy, etc) that are available for free download. This one caught my eye, and it's so awesome! It should be shown to every projectionist. [Big Grin]

"Murder on the Screen" 1958 by the Eastman Kodak Company
If you download the AVI, you will need the DivX codec installed (www.divX.com - free)
the MPG files are DVD compliant MPEG-2

http://archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=13704

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak has been emphasizing "Film Done Right" since the early days of the movies. [Smile] I have a film about proper film handling in theatres that Kodak produced in 1928. [Cool]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-21-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Is that 1928 film with or without sound? [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm, no sound, interscene title cards. It's a more recent print on safety film (not nitrate).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of downloading the MPEG right now. I've only had a chance to see about the first 30 seconds of the film.

OK, so Eastman Kodak is where they MAKE the film but this is a little 'ol instructional film that's only a few minutes long. The opening credits and the first scene of the movie (the only parts I've been able to see so far) look as good as any wide release film of the day!

Talk about "Film Done Right"... This is "Film MADE Right!"
In more ways than one! [Smile]

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Sean! If that film wasn't 45 years old, I would have thought that they guy from the "film distribution outfit" was Mr. Pytlak. [Smile]

Speaking of Mr. Pytlak... John, can you tell us more about how this film was "distributed" and who it's intended audience was? The 16mm focus makes me wonder if it was shown to A/V people in schools and libraries. I assume it was shown to people at television stations as well. It's a great little movie. Nice production value. Are any other Kodak productions of this type available?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-21-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No teaser subject titles permitted. Please correct.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger that Brad. Sorry.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-21-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's incomplete! We don't get to find out "who done it"! I think they were leading up to the projectionist, though.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that smith character is a dead ringer for elisha cook, jr. i think he did it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know much background about the Kodak production "Murder on the Screen", as it predated my career with Kodak by over a decade. Here is what I found on the web:

http://www.jasongray.net/cinejournalar2.html

Murder on the Screen (1958)

This 22 minute short produced by Eastman Kodak plays out as a hardboiled dectective drama. A gruff cop grills suspects about the brutal murder of a young girl, except in this case, the "girl" is a mangled film print. Dig the double entendres as the bull poses a question to the lab-tech -- "You oiled her?" -- and lingers on technical film terms like lubricant. The writing is awesome and the actor's voices are all from a bygone era (you'll know what I mean when you hear them).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-22-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John. There's at least 4 minutes missing from the archive link.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Mine came in at exactly 22:00:16. 219.2 MB. [Confused]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-22-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine came in compleate.
Try downloading it again.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-23-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm... okay, thanks for the info, guys. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: