Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is your Hell? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is your Hell?
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-18-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While watching an old re-run of "Night Gallery" about how one person's hell is another's heaven, I got to thinking about my final reward.

My ultimate hell would be having to listen to bagpipes and/or watching an opera! YUK!

>>> Phil

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-18-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading posts made by Phil Hill!

Bleh!

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 02:05 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading posts made by Joe Redifer!

[evil]

[Big Grin]

[beer]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 02:30 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal hell will be the day that Film Companies demand AND GET 100% of the gross off their films.

This could happen some day.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 05:28 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell would be sitting bound to the chair, in front of the tv, eyes forced open as Alex in "Clockwork", watching the newest soap-torture "The Phil & Benny Muppethill Show"
[dlp] [eyes] [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will not go to hell. I will go to heaven. There I will reside in celestial splendour for all eternity.
If you all behave, maybe I will put in a good word for you so that you might be allowed to come up from hell for a short holiday every other couple of eternities.

I don`t see much hope for Phil however. He will probably spend eternity watching the operatic version of Highlander.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil,

It might be hell for you but the Opera has been one of the greatest joy of my life. For many people in Europe, going to the opera is just like going to the movies here in America. Many operas have plots that are very simple and not very interesting but they take on an entirely new meaning with a beautiful score and performed by highly talented singers and backed up by an excellent orchestra and chorus. Some of my favorites include Puccini's "LA BOHEME", "MADAMA BUTTERFLY", "TURADOT" and "MANON LESCAUT". There are some by Giuseppe Verdi including "AIDA", "LA TRAVIATA", "THE MASKED BALL", "DON CARLOS", and "RIGOLETTO" are just devine and I just love every one of them. I even enjoy the operas of Richard Wagner including his four part "RING" cycle made up of "DAS RHEINGOLD", DIE WALKURE", "SIEGFRIED" and "GOTTERDAMMERUNG". When it comes to opera, I can go on and on but I hope you got my point that if you make an effort to study this art form in music, I am sure you will also enjoy it.

-Claude

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hell? Complete and total blackness and silence.

This actually happened to me this past weekend. I didn't want to start a whole thread about it, but long story short:

I was in the Matrix auditorium seating people on Friday. As I proceeded up the aisle, I felt slightly dizzy, and the next minute I am lying on the floor of the lobby surrounded by people asking me questions and telling me that EMS is on the way!!

Apparently, from what witnesses said, I just collapsed, started going into convulsions, passed out and stopped breathing for a good 5-10 minutes. Manager told me I turned blue/grey and had to be recessitated. I spent the next 8 hours in the emergency room trying to figure out what happened.

Never had anything like this ever happen before, and I really saw no reason for it happening to begin with. I didn't feel sick or anything. Makes you kind of look at things differently when you're just waliking along and up and die for a few minutes!!

I'm OK now, just taking it easy and thinking a lot. I was on my way back to the booth when it happened. Had I made it upstairs, no one would have even missed me for a good 45 minutes. I probably wouldn't be typing this to you good people right now.

So yeah, complete and total darkness and silence. That's all I can remember from the auditorium to the floor of the lobby. So I guess you could say my biggest fear, or my idea of hell is.... nothing.....

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell for me would be a booth full of Vic 4's and Smart SR130's [bs] !!

Sorry Phil,
I agree with Claude on Opera....I certainly do not understand it a bit but the shear talent it takes to pull one off is mindblowing....... Although I rarely go to an opera I am very lucky to be able to attend the Utah Symphony on quite a regular basis, and Abravenal Hall is less than 10 min from my home. Their performances up in the mountain resorts in summer time is also wonderful. Thats as close to heaven as I'll get with out actually going there yet....who on earth would ever need organized relegion!

Thomas, Admit it....your still scared of the dark [Eek!] Let yourself age till your 13 and then it won't be as scarry ! I've gotten to where I enjoy the dark...walking through a pitch dark theatre and boinging off seats you don't know are there really makes my day wonderful.
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera can be great, but often it is really a pain because there are so few good singers. Often what happens on the stage is just singers screaming away on the top of their lungs because they think opera singing is an athletical contest.
I hate nonsense like the Three Tenors. But when the performance is done sensitively to the dramatic needs of the piece, and the singing is nice and musical, then it can be really quite an experience.
Then you often see that pieces which have been produced too many times get "modernised", often in a way which leaves nothing of the original idea. They come up with a lot of crappy ideas just for the sake of celebrating their own inventiveness.
I remember reading about a production of "Die Walküre (The Valkyrie)" where the famous Ride of the Valkyries was accompanied by video projections of army helicopters in the background. The director talked at length about how he modernised the piece to show parallels to the modern world. When asked if he was aware that Coppola had already come up with the same idea many years ago, the director said "I do not go to the cinema. It is cheap entertainment for the masses not suitable for an educated person."
And it is exactly that kind of brainless pseudo-elitist bullshit that actually scares a lot of people away from opera houses and concert halls.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad luck, Schaffer

Sankt Peter don't accept beer sippin' up there.
You won't get in ! -Instead, You'll end up in prison, where THE TEN TENORS will do a special guest performance for You !!

[Big Grin]

Claude

Respect for those Wagner pieces. I'm afraid, I'm not trained for that much opera at a time. The more "popular" operas, though are wonderful - some of them being better in cinema than life, as the cinema versions are top names, and the travelling opera companies, coming this way often are maybe not bottum, but close... Local Music Hall (Aarhus, 1.500 seats) have done (and will again) The Wagner Ring with top people - every time just one nite every part, having audience from all Europe, but they do have financial problems, due to those just 1500 seats.
Else, they often use east-european companies on tour with sad results: Mariage of Figaro with only 12 musicians in the grave - They never got that wonderful music over the edge to reach the audience...
A couple of times during early eighties, i ran a worn, but respectable 35mm print of a german Figaro, starring Dietrich Fischer-Diskau, Hermann Prey and Kiri Te Kanawa - originally produced for tv, and 1:1,37, but with nice dolby stereo track, -and danish subtitles, giving amateur opera-fans a chance, too.
It's no more around, alas, neither is the distributor, and that's sad, because whatever some people think about "The 3 Tenors", they have caused lots of lots of newcomers to appreciate opera, - and no, we have almost nothing to show them: -number of opera films available in Denmark for cinema use is very limited. We saw a single print of Traviata, two prints of Carmen (The Domingo version starting with that nasty bullfight - we should have said no to the film just for those scenes). Right now, the only titles are Madame Butterfly and Tosca, -and allready Tosca has too few earhangers (is that proper english for something easy to hum along on ?) for me to be all hooked, allthough I sure did enjoy it. -The sound couldn't have been better live. Distributor forgot, but DTS (London) had a couple of discs send for my single week showing - Great service ! >Butterfly was SR analog only, but still pure joy, and with only very few cinemas bothering to run these films at all, they give me fine numbers every time. -Love it !
In 1977, i think, i ran some few shows with russian (Leningrad Ballet Company) "Sleeping Beauty" in a cruelly faded (all pink) 70mm print. To get back on forum track - colors were hell - but sound sure was "upstairs"

p.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are quite mistaken there, Mr Hauberg. I have excellent connections. For you, that unreflected remark means you will go straight to hell and thirst there for all eternity plus one day.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-18-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this house on a French named street in Hollywood Hills, CA, that would probably be a hellish experience to visit. [Wink] [evil]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-18-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What in hell makes you think your not there now?

I also love Opera. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-18-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera crashes too often. I think I'll stick to IE for regular use.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: