Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » When did Regal stop giving refills? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: When did Regal stop giving refills?
Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the UA 8 tonight, and bought my usual popcorn and large drink. When I went to get my usual refill, I was told that I couldn't get a refill unless I had bought the drink as part of a combo. When did this start? I don't really have a problem with it, rather I was just a bit annoyed becuase when I bought the drink by itself the concessionist didn't mention it would not be refilled, and there are several signs in the lobby that state "Free refills on Large Drinks and Large popcorn tubs" These signs say nothing about having to buy a combo as a condition of getting the advertised refills. (The signs I'm talking about are those Cookie Dough Bite signs that are up at every Regal complex.) Like I say, if they no longer give refills that's fine, just let people know they've changed their policy and change the wording on the signs all over the lobby...

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-17-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Regal (or anybody else, for that matter) says via big signs, "Free refills on Large Drinks and Large popcorn tubs" (with no disclaimers attached in fine print)- that's the way it is supposed to be in my opinion.

I would recommend you send a complaint to Regal Entertainment Group if you cannot get it resolved with the theatre manager.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the on-line comment card in the past and never got a reply, so I plan to write a snail-mail letter and see if they'll reply to that. I read the sign in the lobby rather carefully, and all it says is that if you buy a large drink (or 2 large drinks, I don't remember now) and a large tub of popcorn, you get a free pack of cookie dough candy. In a circle above the pitch for that, it says "FREE refills on large drinks and large popcorn tubs" These signs have been up for several months at all the Regal complexes in this area, and I have always gotten refills on large drinks purchased there, until tonight. (Well, when I say "always" I mean in the 3 or so years that Regal has owned UA)

I was bascially posting here in the hopes that a Regal employee could tell me if this is a chain-wide thing, and if it is, when they adopted this policy.

[ 05-17-2003, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Fuentz ]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2003 06:10 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, email me. I will shed some light on that for you. Unfortunately, I cannot do that here.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-17-2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem here is not the fact that they don't do free refills unless you buy it a certain way. But the lack of customer satisfaction to give you the refill anyway while explaining that future refills can only be given when certain combos are purchased.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

Give that online comment card another shot.

I had to use it last year. The theatre played Ziggy Stardust in 1.85 when it is a full frame picture. ( not to mention the silver rings around the speakers that showed through the screen! Very distracting )

They sent me 2 comp tickets in the mail. [thumbsup]

Danny

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They sent me 2 comp tickets in the mail. [thumbsup]
They send you two comp tickets in the mail no matter what. In fact, the letter enclosed with the tickets begins: "Dear Regal Patron." The classic "give them passes to shut them up" mentallity.

I wrote a letter regarding a free promo screening I saw once, in an auditorium with a blown speaker, and upon trying to get out of the front exit, an usher was holding it shut on the other side, with about 15 people crowded by it trying to get out, thinking it's jammed or something while he laughs it up.

What did I get? 2 comp tickets in the mail. I wonder if they even read the part about it being a FREE screening... [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have anything to do with Regal Battery Powered, Side Mount Urinal Flushometers for a 3/4" top spud urinals? I guess they were manufactured by Sloan and have the Regal name. Sloan is a leading manufacturer of commode and urinal flush valves. [Big Grin] [Razz] [Eek!]

Sorry....I just HAD to get "unprofessional" for a few seconds.... [Big Grin]

When the Maryland Stadium Authority built a new stadium in Baltimore, it needed a reliable valve that could handle the flushing demands of a 69,000-seat football arena. The flush valves had to be dependable enough to withstand the pressure at halftime, when more than 100,000 gallons of water are pumped in and discharged through underground pipes.

By the time construction began on Baltimore's PSINet Stadium, the valve had been selected. Approximately 1200 Regal 111-XL and 186-XL Flushometers manufactured by Sloan Valve Co. of Franklin Park, Ill., were to be installed at the new stadium. After 22 months of construction, the stadium was ready to open, in time for the Ravens' 1998 football season.

That should make Mr. Mike Campbell walk proud... [Smile]

Hi, Mike! Nice to see you browsing....Please come and join us. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 02:33 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be onto something there. Maybe the refilling of drinks lead to an increased use of the restroom facilities, causing a sharp increase in maintenance costs for all of their cinemas, so they had to stop offering refills before the toilets broke and flooded all their locations and the entire chain was bankrupt once again!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 04:37 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have used the on-line comment card in the past and never got a reply, so I plan to write a snail-mail letter and see if they'll reply to that.
Good luck. About 4 years ago, I sent a gripe to them by snail mail, complaining about the crappy presentation at one of their local houses. After asking the manager if the focus could be touched up a bit, they spent 10 minutes making it worse, which was how it stayed through the show.

I got no reply to my grumble-gram... but a year after that they closed it, and now 2 years later, it's mine.

Irony is a wonderful thing, eh? [Big Grin]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't offer refills. It's my toy store and you will play by my rules. We feel that offering refills sends the wrong message. We are an art theatre not a commercial daycare facility.

People in this town are very cheap and feel that they are entitled to stuff. I feel it's my mission to dissuade them of that notion. I also thought it was unsanitary to offer refills and I don't understand how fast food joints can get away with turning the soda fountains around towards the customers.

If 44 ounces of soda and 170 ounces of popcorn aren't enough for you, buy some more.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course the real reason refills are a bad idea is because the customer has to miss part of the movie to get them, so it's in their best interest. [Smile] That was the reason I gave people 12 years ago when I worked concession where they didn't give free refills, though another theater nearby did.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pacific 14 in Pasadena just sells you the size of cup you want and you go to the dipensers down the hall and fill them with what you want. I assume you can fill them as much as you want.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-18-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Down the hall? [Confused]

If you have your own cup do you still need to buy one?

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don't offer refills. It's my toy store and you will play by my rules. We feel that offering refills sends the wrong message. We are an art theatre not a commercial daycare facility.

Just to clarify, I never said I had a problem with it if they had changed the policy on refills. My problems were 1) the fact there were signs in the lobby offering refills on large drinks with no fine print with restrictions on that offer and 2) the way it was handled at the snack bar. Regal has offered refills the entire time they have been operating in this market, (About 3 or 4 years) so you would think they would inform patrons buying large drinks by themsleves they would no longer be refilled.

You are absolutely correct in saying it's your theater and you can set the rules. I went to the UA and Festival/Mann locations in town for years, and they never offered refills on anything. I never had a problem with that, nor did I expect it. However, since the Regal locations started offering "extras" such as refills, I had been visiting them exclusively over the Signature theater in town that does not offer any "extras".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: