Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need a New Monitor for the ol' Computer. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Need a New Monitor for the ol' Computer.
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-16-2003 02:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the longest time I've been using CRT based monitors for my many computing needs. But it is getting old and I need a new monitor. A few weeks ago I purchased a Sony LCD flatscreen monitor. It cost $600. I did not like how the cursor blurred as I moved it around onscreen. Unacceptable. Also the colors were not 100% accurate. Some reds appeared as greens on screens which I knew what they were supposed to look like, despite creating a new color profile. The monitor promply went back and I got a refund.

Can anyone recommend an awesome monitor, CRT or other, for mission critical work? I have a very recent Mac and it has digital out (DVI, I think) and can also do VGA. Motion blur and the potential for dead pixels are unacceptable. I cannot wait for a diode to update. It must be immediate. The colors must also be perfect. Sounds like CRT would probably win out here.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-16-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC makes the best looking LCD displays I have seen. They're not cheap though. Actually, their CRT displays kick too.

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/nec_index.cfm

My NEC MutliSync LCD display has better colour and sharpness than most any CRT display. Full screen, full motion video looks great. One nice thing about the NEC displays is XtraView 160 degree viewing.

The downside with all LCD displays is that image quality dramatically falls off when you don't run the display at it's native resolution, which is usually 1280x1024.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-16-2003 03:41 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been quite pleased with the two Viewsonic 19" monitors I've had since 1999. They've both made it through three moves and still perform great. My only complaint is the size and weight, as they're CRTs.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Adam. Viewsonic all the way.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 07:46 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recomend Samsung LCD monitors. They look better than others costing twice as much.

/Mitchell

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2003 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Phillips LCD monitor and have had it for a number of years. Got it at Costco, I believe I paid 349.00 for it. No complaints here about it.....and I do ALOT of photographic work on it and have yet to see any colors reproduced wrong. My favorite old CRT monitor was a NEC Multistink 4fge. Hey, don't you know by now that Sony is just bloney!!!!
Mark

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 09:22 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is right. The only thing good about Sony anymore is that Trinitron tube. Hope they have not found a way to screw it up, too.

Joe, are you looking at images of yourself again? That would explain the color shifts... [Roll Eyes]

The image on the left should look fantastic. If it does not, replace the monitor. Then replace the phone line / cable modem / T-1... [eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, you found out why graphics houses don't have LCD monitors!
Viewsonic has a good reputation for CRT displays. The difference is in the electronics, there are very few companies actually making CRTs so in a given price range they'll all be very similar and probably come out the same factory door.
There are 2 types of CRT, shadow mask and "trinitron" wire aperture. Wire aperture types always have a few thin dark horizontal lines visible in bright images but the overall image quality is better than shadow mask IMO. The lines are rarely visible and don't bother me.
I'd suggest getting a used monitor. The market is flooded with them, and by shopping around you can get a top-of-line 19" model for under $200.00 and 21" for not much more. Generally used are rated, "A" is hard to find (case unmarked, looks new) but "B" are excellent, usually they just have some marks and scratches on the case but the electronics and tube are 100% OK. Since almost forever, screen savers etc have reduced tube burn and the larger monitors will not have been used in POS or equivalent tasks where the image is constant and burnt screens common.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-16-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who makes Viewsonic? Or is that the actual brand? It sounds like it should be "The fabulous Hitachi Viewsonic" or something. Any recommended online dealers for these things... or locals? I know that Newegg.com does not seem to carry monitors.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viewsonic monitors:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/cb2.cfm?ViewSonic&crt_monitor&b=281&c=1875

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/1071708/104-7600389-9342309

http://www.price.com/computing/drill.html?epg=3011&tci=2971

http://www.monitorwarehouse.com/

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think Viewsonic was part of NEC but I'm not positive. Anyway, where I used to work, we tried all different brands of CRT-based monitors. We had a lot of picky graphics artists to please, plus people tended to leave their monitors on 24/7. Viewsonic was the hands-down winner for most bang for the buck and also longevity/reliability.

I personally own a Hitachi 19" (CRT) which I've been VERY happy with.

LCD displays keep getting better, but they're still unacceptable for graphics artists (IMHO).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-16-2003 11:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viewsonic is a privately held company. They've been in business since 1987. There have been a few times in the past where they were using some NEC CRTs because they couldn't keep up with demand.

I've also got a 19" Viewsoinc that looks great.

Mitchell, I also have a 17" Samsung LCD... I use it as a paperweight. Compared to the NEC display it looks like [bs] .

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got a Viewsonic 17" or maybe a little-bit bigger LCD monitor here at the office. When we first got it, it was great, but we have been noticing that over time the edges of the picture are getting darker and darker. No amount of image adjustment will make it go away.

It's really a great monitor... with the exception of that one flaw.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-16-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC LCD 1830 running 1280x1024 res.

The display card is just as important as the monitor. ASUS 8460 Ultra with the GeForce4 Ultra chipset on the AGP 4X bus. 65Meg of DDR SDRAM.

Both about 2 years old and I love 'em. No screen lag. Great performance on games, DVD movies, Photoshop, and Premier...oh, and text. [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-16-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about plunking down a couple grand for the sexy new Apple Cinema Display 23 HD?

[Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: