Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Daddy Day Care" trailers: different takes of same line

Author Topic: "Daddy Day Care" trailers: different takes of same line
Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 04:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even work at a movie theater, I just go 1-2 times a week, but boy was I tired of seeing these trailers after the last few months:

http://ahaney.org/NoWeCant.mov
(looping is for added annoyance [Wink] )

I think the take where he says it in a flatter tone is much better.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOD!!!! [Eek!]

Did you notice the BALOONS were in a different position in the second take, too?? Amazing...

=TMP=

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-15-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest perpetrator of the different takes in trailer vs. feature is "Clueless". The scenes from the preview are 10 times funnier than the same scenes from the actual film. Most notably is the end of the trailer where the stuck up red-head says to the P.E. teacher "My doctor doesn't want me doing anything where BALLS, fly at my NOSE." And then the other girl says really mean and sarcastic-like "Well there goes your social life." The actual scene in the movie is SOOOOO subdued and not even funny.

These have become what me and all my other theatre friends call "LIES!" It drives us to shout LIES! at the top of our lungs during the preview and/or movie.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas: Oh, snap! I thought it was funny to loop it like that. But then, I am easily amused sometimes. I once looped the part in the trailer for "The Mexican" where Brad Pitt says "El Camino!" and left it running in the background while I worked. I was giggling like an insane person by the time I turned it off. Yessir, easily amused indeed.

Scott: I remember that line from "Clueless", and I agree with you. How any editor could possibly have thought the take used in the movie was better than the one in the trailer is beyond me.

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very few movies make their trailers at the same time as the film is being edited. It has been my experience that the trailers are usually the responsibility of the distributor, who farms them out to a "trailer house." A friend of mine who used to cut trailers occasionally said she would sometimes get notes from the movie's editor pointing out better takes of scenes that they were not able to use in the film. Usually there was a sneeze or some other outtake that ruined the shot, but they could extract small snippets for the trailer without having to worry about continuity.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 02:11 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron -- I made a loop from a section of the trailer of that Dreamworks cartoon, "The Prince Of Egypt" and played it while there were people sitting in the theater WAY too early...

" ...You are NOT a prince of Egypt!! -- What did you say? -- ...You are NOT a prince of Egypt!! -- What did you say? -- ...You are NOT a prince of Egypt!! -- What did you say?......"

Five minutes before anyone complained. [evil] [Big Grin]

=TMP=

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-17-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost the whole airplane scene from "Anger Management" is different takes in the movie than in the trailer.

Not only was the acting better in the trailer scenes, but the pacing was better and the whole scene was funnier in many ways.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No ... No they can't

Is soooo MUCH better when he plays it flat. Has the film already opened in the states? ... If so, what version of that shot made it to the final film?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: