Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What language is this??

Author Topic: What language is this??
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 05:28 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our theatr we have a Tourist Information Centre.
They are trying to find out what the following language is.

Galles
Ven a vivir la legenda

Anyone know what it is? [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-14-2003 05:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Espanol! "Come and live the legend"
But it is not correct. It should be "leyenda". In Portuguese, it could be "legenda", but then it should be viver, not vivir. I think they tried to make it Spanish.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael is right, español or castellano, "Ven a vivir la leyenda" is the correct way. For an english talker "leGENda" sounds like spanish "leYENda". My name is Germán, but in spanish language it sounds "HerMAN" and not like Michael's citizenship.
Saludos.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-14-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still, German (Herman) is a German name. It means "warrior man" and is the name of the Germanic tribe leader who completely destroyed two Roman legions in A.D. Following this event, the Romans never dared to venture into the Germanic heartland again. The historic events shown in the opening sequence of "Gladiator" were actually not that the Romans conquered Germany, but that they managed to stop the onstorm of the wild tribes. At least for a while...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
. . . Until Odacer the Visgoth finally sacked Rome itself in 476 AD ending the reign of the Romulas Augustus the last of the ceasars.

Roman history is amazing in that there are so many parallels between that empire and the United States. Seriously, yeah maybe Congress doesn't participate in orgies (I'm overlooking that oval office thing), and maybe Christians weren't fed to the lions in Redskins stadium; but the might of that empire compared with the might of the United States is errily simmilar. Factor in technical achievements in the ancient world and the modern, social norms inspired in the ancient world by Rome and the modern world by the United States, and other odds and ends such as law and economics, and there you are.

Will the United States crumble the way Rome crumbled? I'm not sure. But as I tell my students . . . No country lasts forever on the principles it was founded on. Hey, if Rome was invaded by barbarians from the north does that mean Canadians are . . . [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: