Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Just To P.O. The Cops Some People Do Interesting Stuff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Just To P.O. The Cops Some People Do Interesting Stuff
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-11-2003 08:57 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was headed to the theatre yesterday I was passed by a guy on a motorcycle riding bareheaded. As Virginia is a state that requires helmets I was thinking that it's one thing to enjoy a ride without a helmet, but how much time can you waste getting pulled over and receiving citations. At a traffic light a few blocks later I looked over at him and saw that he had glued a wig to an open face helmet and painted the helmet to look like the back of a mans neck below the hair line. I gave him a thumbs up and went on.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-11-2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bill...you may disagree with me, but driving any machine whether it be a car or motorcycle is considered a privilege, and not a right. Since it is a privilege, a person must abide by the rules. If one chooses not to abide by the rules, he or she can expect to "pay" or even lose the privilege.

Cops have a keen eye. They are trained to remember things. Unfortunately for some, the cops remember too well.

Everyone screws up from time to time while driving. The best way to get stopped is to do something that will make you stand out like a sore thumb while driving.

Cops up here will stop you for a burned out headlight or tail light, as they also do in many other states. You would be surprised how many routine traffic stops result in an arrest for things such as outstanding warrants, no driver's license, outdated registration, no insurance, drug running, and hundreds of other infractions.

You see them every day....and you will say to yourself that many drivers are not the brightest bulb in the box.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who used to keep a life size semi-realistic doll seat-belted into the passenger seat. He could fly down the freeway right past cops and they wouldn't budge. His theory was that they won't stop and harass you if you have a witness in the car, because a judge will pretty much always side with the cop.

Hmmmmm, you know thinking back I've never been stopped when I had a passenger with me.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-11-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, that is hilarious! I love it! [thumbsup]

In an earlier period in my life, I bought a brand-spanking-new hot red 1985 Z-28 with the BIG V8 & 4-speed. Tricked it all out and tinted the back window at 80% and it looked cool. [beer]

Being in L.A., in the summer I always drove with the windows down, the T-tops off, and the A/C on.

CHP and LAPD would pull up along side of me and yap at me on their speaker to roll up my side windows to see if they were tinted. They weren't. The cops were too lazy to pull me over and check for themselves! [fu]

Brad: Passenger? You got rid of that blow-up doll? [evil]

>>> Phil

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmmmm, you know thinking back I've never been stopped when I had a passenger with me.
Only two times have I ever gotten through a drunk-driving roadblock without being asked to pull over and give a breath sample, and both those times I had someone else in the car with me. I'm pretty sure their primary goal is just to get me out of the car, because while I'm busy blowing into the machine, there's always another cop (sometimes with a dog) searching my car.

I haven't had a drink for years.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: A couple of years ago I got a speeding ticket, and I had two passengers in the car. It happens.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you really FLYING down the freeway, or just speeding like 10-15MPH or so?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His theory was that they won't stop and harass you if you have a witness in the car, because a judge will pretty much always side with the cop.
His theory would be wrong, at least in California. Judges are neutral until they hear the evidence. At least in this state, statistics show that you have a 50 percent chance of beating the ticket if you go to court to protest it (most people don't). For one thing, if the cop doesn't show up to testify (and in many instances are too busy to do so) the fine gets thrown out. And even then, there are arguments that can get you off (many speed "limits" are so vague according to the way they are writen in the law, they can become "suggestions.") THere ARE maximums, of course, but if you can explain why you were safely driving through a 25 mph zone while going 40, oir had a good reason for doing so, the judge WILL listen and often rule in your case. And as far as PARKING tickets are concerned, the most overused are the ones for parking in a "for official use only" spot. Especially when there is nothing in the parking regulations explaining what "official use" is.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-13-2003 04:31 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
In Los Angeles, I agree about the judges being neutral and about the cops not showing up. I don't necessarily agree about the "excuse" will get you outta a ticket.

It's very true the judge will listen to your "excuse" and IF it is reasonable, will let you off. Problem is, most jerks have such lame reasons that it's a joke. They get the fine as they should! [beer]

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-13-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What reasons could one give a judge for driving faster than the posted speed limit? I have just read the California DMV handbook, and it says very explicitly that there is never an excuse for driving faster than allowed.
I would think that if you had an injured person in your car bleeding to death, then they would listen to you but other than that?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-13-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from Michael...
California DMV handbook, and it says very explicitly that there is never an excuse for driving faster than allowed

In Washington, they have fixed "default" speeds for various roads... ie: "unposted within city limits" would be 25 or 30 mph, and the like. Then they overlay the actual speed limit signs to adjust specific areas to conditions, population, schools, open highways, etc. This way, you can't use the argument that there's no limit because an area isn't posted, or that you were driving fast but appropriately for conditions. The law gives the judges & police a reference to roll back to, so removing (or running over) a speed limit sign wouldn't work very well here..

The problem is that these default limits are published in the driver's guide you use when you first get your license. I don't know where else you'd find them, unless you looked up the state regs on the internet or something... but I doubt most people would remember what they are, once they get out the door with their license.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-13-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you had taken your driver`s test 45 years ago, aren`t you supposed to inform yourself about current regulations? The same applies to drivers from other states or other countries. So I couldn`t imagine telling the judge you weren`t aware of the unposted speed limit would impress him very much.
So, which reasons could be accepted for driving faster than allowed?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-13-2003 02:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Michael. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Jack mentioned something about the default speed limit. On county roads in Washington State, the speed limit by default is 35mph unless otherwise posted. Normally, 50mph is what most postings are on those roads if they are in good shape.

In the city, default speed limit is 25mph unless otherwise posted.

School zones vary from 10 to 20mph when children are present but that sometimes depends on the location.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-17-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 400 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my first speeding ticket last night. Woo-hoo. (not.) It claims that I was going 55mph in a 40mph zone (which is possible, but unlikely).

I am planning to appeal it due to, among other things, several errors in the ticket itself (date is listed as "6/17/80"; my car's color is listed as "Green" instead of "Blue," etc.). Any suggestions as to what else I should do? I'm planning to file a request for discovery with the police department to get the officer's notes, logs, etc.

With Massachusetts insurance rates being high, this could easily cost me $1500 or more over the next 6-7 years (the ticket itself is $150), so any ideas would be appreciated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: