Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 3 Word Game - problems with English? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: 3 Word Game - problems with English?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious for those who are playing, do the little oddities of the English language such as plural vs. singular and general proper sentence structure in general not apply here? I'm seeing some very poorly structured sentences where people missing a word or changing tense and such. See, I just missed are.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-09-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed when I click on the arrow instead of the actual number it takes me to the bottom of page 17 instead of the last page on the list. Maybe this is why there are so many broken sentences.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The blue arrow is to take you to the last post that you have not read yet, not the last page.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-09-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
GOD! I hate the grammar & spelling police. I mean, that whole thread is meant to be fun, not grammatically or politically correct.

I think most peoples (HA) understand the intent and meaning of the posted comments without being necessarily correct. It's hard to get a continuous thought into 3 words... that's why I chose it! [beer]

Go with the flow all....

(Not specifically referring to Brad's question)

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But Phil, that's part of the game, to make sure that the next 3 words that you add make sense and fit properly in the context of the existing sentence, while taking it as far off of topic as possible.

Oh and by the way:
quote:
"outta the red"
CHEATER!!! That's "out of". You cheated and snuck 4 words into your post. "Outta" is not a real word. Being from Texas, this means war. [evil]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-09-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's true and I agree...up to a certain point. I think in order to "tease" the next poster, one has to make a judgement as to how far out one's post is in respect to being correct.

I know that's a real challenge, but I'm willing to accept some latitude.

OBTW: Being from Cali..but NOT the Valley, "outta" is an acceptable word! Don't Fuck with me! [Razz]

>>> Phil

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 05-09-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sucks for me is posting the next 3 words thinking you are being oh so clever and then seeing 2 people posted before you and it now makes no sense. Is it cheating, therefore, to go back and edit your post so it makes sense, or are we supposed to just suffer. I noticed Phil was guilty of doing this once today!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, I think it would be that person's responsibility to edit their post so that the sentence continues to flow.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-10-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what if someone responds to you right as you are editing your post? Then the whole game is screwed up and Film-Tech should just close down and people should stop showing movies. So be careful!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2003 02:55 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
"I noticed Phil was guilty of doing this once today!! "

Guity of what? Having to keep changing my post cuz you got yours posted 1 second before mine and then mine made no sense.

Brad is right...like in the above case, go back and edit your words to go with the flow...Ummmm even if they have to contain words like "outta"... [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2003 05:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
"thinkin'bout hurry'nup'n just"

Smart ASS! [Razz]

>>> Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-10-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proper grammar is the last thing Phil needs to worry about, he can't even count to three correctly, consistently.

Hyphenating words at random doesn't count either!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-10-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hyphenating words at random doesn't count either!
Daryl speaks what others are afraid to say... [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless of course the hyphens are "grammatically correct"...

BTW Daryl! I can count to 3: 1, 4, 7, 8, 3!

>>>Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-10-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all that, you never even got to 3. 3! = 6. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: