Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is Microsoft and retailer "Best Buy" brain dead?

Author Topic: Is Microsoft and retailer "Best Buy" brain dead?
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-08-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They must be. Microsoft and discount electronics retailer Best Buy have been notified a class-action lawsuit is pending against the companies for an alleged online scam. There are alligations that customers were unknowingly charged for Internet services. The legal action alleges a joint promotion by the companies led customers to believe they would be receiving complimentary MSN service. Instead, it says, customers were billed for the Internet access if credit and debit cards were used to make a Best Buy purchase. A customer says he questioned a Best Buy clerk why a MSN compact disc he did not request was being scanned at check out. It was reported the store employee told the customer the disc was scanned for "inventory purposes." The plaintiff says Best Buy allegedly sent his debit card information to Microsoft without his knowledge and began billing him for the service he did not ask for.

My opinion is if the alligations are proved true, Microsoft and Best Buy should be hung by the balls from the highest yardarm. I mumble to myself when I hear of things like this.

What even is worse, some companies in our own industry try to screw the customers with bogus products. You know which company I am talking about. The members of the Motion Picture Industry such as the suppliers, technicians, and service providers are supposed to be a close-knit community. When some "shady" organizations are found, they are usually put out of business or forced into bankruptcy. My word to those slip-shod low-life bungholes is this: [Mad] [fu] [sex] [puke]

Jeeze, Brad. We need some more smileys to express ourselves. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in the next few weeks Best Buy is opening a brand new store at the Capital Mall here in Olympia. I have NEVER liked Best Buy because of their shoddy treatment of customers. Just go to planetfeedback.com and type in Best Buy for a list of the many complaints against them.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-09-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, at least there's still hope... you have to have a reason to mumble to yourself! I do it so much my wife sometimes makes me sleep on the couch!... sez she wishes I'd just snore like normal people... though I probably do that, too!

Gawd, it's great to be an old phart! [beer]

Ken's right. Best Buy seems to go out of their way to massage $$$ from your wallet, and they don't do as much to cover it up as other stores. I don't buy from them here because the whole experience is just a little slimey.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this Paul?

-

I hope it suits your purposes. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-09-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
"bungholes"...

Alright! It's Miller time! [beer]

>>> Phil

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They may not send your card information but here is my beef.

Save $XXX on your purchase at Best Buy when youy sign up for Y months of internet service at $$$$$.

Problem is that due to the damn term conditions, Microsoft ends up making more money than they paid Best Buy to subsidize the damn purchase.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that is so true, it makes me want to [puke]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken wrote:
quote:
Just go to planetfeedback.com and type in Best Buy for a list of the many complaints against them.
For even more interesting reading, go to the "movie theaters" category.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-10-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Problem is that due to the damn term conditions, Microsoft ends up making more money than they paid Best Buy to subsidize the damn purchase.
Hard to provide Internet service if you're not making any money. 3Com and Cisco gear isn't cheap. [Smile]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Best Buy, does anyone remember when they first opened that most if not all of their CD were priced around the $10.00 range? This price seemed to last almost as long as it took to put the local music stores out of business because if you go to Best Buy right now, the prices are pretty much the same as anywhere else.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: