Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another Tornado Hits Oklahoma City

Author Topic: Another Tornado Hits Oklahoma City
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-08-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just days after the 4th anniversary of the May 3, 1999 F5 tornado disaster, Southern areas of the Oklahoma City Metro Area were hit once again by another powerful tornado. This time a GM auto plant was hammered, as were businesses along I-240. Tinker Air Force Base also received damage from the storm. The tornado passed over I-35 near Crossroads Mall. I haven't been able to determine if the fairly new Regal 16-plex was affected.

The extent of damage doesn't look as severe as that from the twister four years ago, and there's no word yet on fatalities. At least 100 or more people have been injured. Portions of I-240 are closed and many buildings have been leveled. One helicopter pilot claimed to see an entire mobile home being carried through the air by the tornado.

I watched these storms fire up just east and northeast of Lawton around 4:00pm (kinda reminiscent of the May 3 F5 tornado that originated over Fort Sill and Medicine Park). It's too bad we couldn't have had at least one minor funnel come down and damage the crappy Wallace Cache 8 theater here in town. OK, that's not a nice thing to say even for a dump of a theater. I'm running on little sleep, having been kept up much of last night by my NOAA Weather Radio and all its tornado watch / tornado warning alarms.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I feel bad about all the wrecked GM cars, but I do feel for the people there. I can't believe anyone still lives atround there. With all the tornadoes, humidity, and bugs, I can't see it as a desrable place to be....
What on earth was a copter pilot doing in the air to begin with...?
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-08-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I read about it. So far, the toll is 118 people have been injured, 20 critically.

I hope Manuel and his theatre are OK. Manuel is a good dude.

Mark, the Helo's are such an ugly machine, they are just naturally repelled from the earth. The pilot may have had not too much of a choice. [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News 'copter pilots are some keewaaayzeee people!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-09-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, isn't Tinseltown (Manuel's Theatre) located off the junction of I-35 and I-44? Even though I have been there, I cannot recall the exact location.

After looking at the map, I guess most of the damage was in the southern part of Okie City.

Has anyone heard from Manuel? Has anyone heard anything about the new Regal house?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemark Tinseltown in Oklahoma City is at the MLK Blvd. exit of I-44 on the northern side of OKC. I watched "X-Men 2" there just this past weekend.

The Regal 16 at Crossroads Mall sits near the I-240 / I-35 interchange and near the tornado's damage path. Regal's Fandango listings are showing show times for the place, so I assume it didn't get any damage. I'm tempted to drive up to the city to take some photos around Moore and southern OKC this weekend.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-10-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, I see by the news that Oklahoma City got plowed by another major tornado late today (Friday). What the hell is going on down there? Did someone piss somebody off? [Confused]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-10-2003 01:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think God just has a hard-on against anything and anyone living in Oklahoma. Enough is enough. Move some of this shit down to Uraguay or some other country like that. Give us folks in Oklahoma a break already! Does God want some kind of vengeful Al-Quida anti-weather terrorist group to start up here or what?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2003 02:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,
Don't feel like you're the only one...its been raining here in Salt Lake City for 12 days straight!!
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-10-2003 03:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, did the the "cocoon" in Temple Square develope a roof leak yet? I hope not...it is one of the most acoustically perfect buildings in the world, and yet it was built in the 1800's. In those days they did not use nails and screws. They used wooden dowels instead. [Smile]

If any of you guys and gals ever get to SLC, please attend the organ recital....you will be amazed and delighted. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: