Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Booth Hauntings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Booth Hauntings
Nathan Davidson
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Nathan Davidson   Email Nathan Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you deal with ghosts in your projection booths even if there just the manegers trying to scare while your threading up a movie?

p.s i have a hamack completly made of throw away film from my work

|  IP: Logged

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask Todd Parr's brother, Lance. When he services my booth, he brings at least a dozen chocolate covered donuts to make Walter happy. Or a fresh Snicker bar. Walter died in the booth in May of 2000 while showing the first reel of CASABLANCA. Before that, maybe 30+ years ago, an old time operator named Charley died there. Walter seemed to get the creeps up there as he would see things move that shouldn't. Walter's funeral was in the theater.

Walter used to have a hiding place for his Snicker bars so that visiting spot light operators wouldn't find them. I usually keep them in the same spot.

Now he is there keeping an eye on me.

John

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-08-2003 09:03 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Hollywood, the Vogue Theatre's Booth is haunted. Its of a
former projectionist that worked there, his name was Fritz. He had been there for 40 years. Also in Hollywood, the old Warner Theatre is haunted by one of the Warner Bros.. He died back in 1927 [eyes]
The old GCC Sherman Oaks 3-5 booth was also haunted. And downtown
Los Angeles at the old Tower Theatre the projectionist died in the big easy seat in the booth. The union had to send a replacement operator to get them back on screen. So when the other projectionist got to the booth. He found the died projectionist still seated in the easy chair, but was covered
with a blanket. [Eek!]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-08-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oooOOOOoooo! I like haunted booths. It makes for an interesting "Evening with the carbon arc lamphouses." [Big Grin]

Never a dull moment. [Eek!]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're that worried do a cleansing ritual in the booth! [Wink]

One easy and effective ritual:
Pyschically empower some salt to your purpose (clearing off negative energy)
Scatter the salt around the perimeter of the area, let it stay there for several hours (overnight works well), then sweep up the salt, and bury it, or cast it to the sea. Don't forget to thank the appropriate element (earth or water), for dispersing the energy.

Or you could try talking to whomever is haunting your booth. Some spirits just want to see how much they can intimidate people, or just keep pushing to find out what they can get away with, some are just plain confused. Sometimes it helps to state that life belongs to the living, and you are certainly entitled to be in the space that they haunt.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a projectionist who insists that our booth is haunted. She says she hears noises and projectors levitate and the undead occasionally walk through and begin changing trailers or whatnot. Nothing ever happens to me because the ghosts know that I will kick their ass. I am sure that many, many people have probably died in our theater. It would just be wrong for many people not to have died here. Died of boredom.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you, your booth, & your projectionists seem stupid. There are no ghosts up there, it's just me playing with your lovely projectionists mind. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Actually, I worked at a theatre in St. Paul MN that most felt was haunted. Very large locked doors would randomly open, voices could be heard from the main auditorium whenever the theatre was empty, and footsteps from the basement were also heard a lot. I only knew of one person that died there, and I don’t think he would have haunted it.

Now, a woman I worked with is convinced that Marvin Mann, the original owner of the theatre, is the one haunting it. Making sure that everything is running smooth. Seems like a possibility if you believe in that stuff.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2003 02:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your theater had a basement? Is that where you hid the marquee stretcher and/or the squeegee sharpener? I think a theater basement would be a great place to put people who died in the auditorium overnight so you can get out early. Or just let the janitors take them out with the rest of the trash.

p.s i have a new car completly made of throw away film from my work

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe -- Of course my theatre had a Basement! Only the coolest theatres have basements! Where else are the giant rats going to live? Plus, the staff smoke room & staff bathroom!

-

-

-

(Edited to include pictures in post [Smile] )

[ 05-09-2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Nate Lehrke ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2003 04:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please use the upload feature on this website rather than linking. Your files and that specific URL will not be around forever.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah man I saw those pictures and I thought I was looking at my theaters basement.I will try to post some pics.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate,

I would like to see a picture of your basement reader [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-09-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a pic of another theatre basement. That huge thing on the left is part of a Carrier Model 1 air conditioner, circa 1933. It still worked very well when this pic was taken in 1999, though it has since been removed.

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate- The flag painted on the wall of your theater basement has NO stars. Traitor!

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my assistant managers swears she saw a little, blonde haired boy go into the booth one day, but no one was there when she went in to find him.

Tony R.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: