Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » OT: Controlled-Access Webcams

Author Topic: OT: Controlled-Access Webcams
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to help someone whose kid wants to have a webcam but they want to closely control access to it. I've googled this and come up empty. Does anyone know of a commercially-available webcam package that would require viewers to have a login and password before they can get in? I know this functionality can be thrown together if there's enough motivation, but I'm wondering if there's an off-the-shelf solution already available. Just point me in the right direction if you have any info. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-28-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious solution would be to put the webcam access page in a password-protected directory on the server. Just like access to the sneak preview pages. Note that I'm not saying that it would be easy to maintain the permission list, but hey.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 04-29-2003 08:35 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for a standalone webcam on a PC, other than if you use the Yahoo chat program that you can control who sees it - by invitation only, anyone, etc... But I have a webcam that runs full-time on my website, and can offer both streaming video or a frame every 30 seconds. I have the ability to require a login and password to see my webcam, or I can restrict it so that certain IP addresses can be blocked. I don't use any of the security but it is there.

The program I use is called Webcam32, by Surveyor Corp. and it gives you several options. You can stream to the web, ftp an image every so many seconds, or send your webcam image to a special host they have set up so people can log into that page. If you are reasonably computer literate you can set it up relatively easy, although setting it up for the web is a tad more challenging. They have an excellent help section on their website. If you want to see it in action, go to my website and click on either the video link or the webcam link - web page

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-30-2003 08:45 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting...
http://www.axis.com/products/cam_2100/index.htm
It allows controlled access, but how much control do you want? Anyone with one of the accounts & a password would get in. I don't know how complex the server is and if it will log access.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-30-2003 09:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I gotta say after looking into this, 1) If I had a kid, I would be very hesitant about permitting a webcam; and 2) Assuming I permitted one, its use would be very closely controlled by yours truly. I'm afraid my kid would hate me. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: