Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie theatre urban legends?

Author Topic: Movie theatre urban legends?
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 04-28-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been made curious now by a story I've now heard from NUMUROUS sources about the existence of theatre specific urban legends.

Being an auditor, I've heard this story now from many old time employees I've come into contact with and it makes me wonder... IS IT TRUE?

The story is about an audit at the Cress Theatre in Reno, NV. Then being operated by Fox West-Coast. It's all about how the company auditor was wrapping up his audit. (each time I hear the story, I hear the SAME name for the auditor and for the manager) The auditor is packing up his things, complimenting the manager on another audit well done when he opens the office door and standing there is the janitor with a box full of used cups and popcorn tubs and asks the manager by name "Will this be enough Mr. so-and-so?" And so the auditor turns around and sets his things down and says something along the lines of "Well I guess the audit ISN'T over."

First off -- is this story TRUE? Or is it just a humorous little anectode passed down the ranks. Either way, are there other similar stories you've heard that make you question whether they're real or not?

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A former partner at the Victory theater once told me about a purchase that ended his appetite for theatre popcorn. At another theatre he once looked at his popcorn container and saw the name "O'SULLIVAN" spelled backwards on the box.

[For non-US readers: O'Sullivan heels were in wide use on US made shoes.]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-28-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every theatre I've worked for has claimed to have at least one haunted auditorium where unexplained accidents tend to recur moreso than in other places.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly urban legend material, but an acquaintance who used to be an asst. mgr. told me how popcorn tubs were being "recycled" by a couple of industrious employees before being caught. They also had a regular customer who always took a dump behind the screen in their THX house. They were pretty sure it was the same person every time (I didn't want to ask HOW they knew that).

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 02:13 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he liked corn?
[Big Grin]

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our theater the older employees swear thet the place is haunted.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly our Theatre #6 is haunted by an electrician who died of electrocution while installing the spot lights. Appearently the other electrician installed two of the breakers incorrectly.

normal:

[_] wall scances

[_] spotlights

in #6:

[_] spotlights

[_] wall scances

So when he was installing the spots, he went up and cut the bottom breaker (which was supposed to be wired to the spots) and went back down to install the lights. He was shocked and fell 20ft onto the back row of seats. To this day, he haunts #6. I have never seen him personaly, but I know of one employee who absolutly refuses to enter 6 because of an experience she had cleaning the theatre by herself that she doesn't want to talk about. In any case, I like to blame projection problems on him. [Big Grin]

To this day, the breakers are still wired backwards. [Eek!]

------------------------------------------------------------------
*DISSCLAIMER: THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE (AT LEAST THAT THE AUTHOR IS AWARE OF) TO SUGGEST THAT ANY OF OUR AUDITORIUMS ARE HAUNTED.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much truth there is to this one, but I hear there is an auditor who if the management doesn't cordially offer to buy him Chick-Fil-A on his inspections will slap the theater with all sorts of marks on the report.

Anyone else heard of that one?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 12:06 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Oddly enough I used to work for a manager that, the story you told wouldn't be too far off from. Just subsitute floor staff for janitor.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a place that had a haunted auditorium. The story was that there was an elderly patron watching a movie who had a heart attack and died, and was found by the employees when they came in to clean.

During the time I worked there, the auditorium was always cold, no matter what we did. The projector/platter would also haphazardly damage film (often in odd ways) regardless of how many times the tech found nothing wrong. We always seemed to have problems with the dimmers, too. [eyes]

=TMP=

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Warner Theatre in Hollywood (aka:Hollywood Pacific) is
haunted by one of the [eyes] Warner Bros. And the Vogue Theatre down the street is haunted by a former [eyes] projectionist. An usher fell thru the [eyes] ceiling over at the Egyptian Theatre across the street. (about a 45 foot fall) He fell during a show in the front right side of the screen. And a usher killed himself [eyes] backstage at the Chinese Theatre. An the old GCC Sherman Oaks theatre 3-5 is also was [eyes] haunted.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 07:28 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard writes:

quote:
At another theatre he once looked at his popcorn container and saw the name "O'SULLIVAN" spelled backwards on the box.
I heard of a similar one, at a central London first-run cinema. Very simply, a customer asked for a bag of popcorn at the concession stand, which was duly served. As he took the container, a (live) rat emerged from within the contents, looking somewhat startled! I've always hated popcorn with a passion anyway (because of its smell and the noise caused by someone sitting next to you eating it), and this story has sure reinforced my prejudice...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: