Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Heston Stepping Down As President Of The NRA. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Heston Stepping Down As President Of The NRA.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-24-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly he is making his last appearance as president of the NRA this weekend.

I wish him a nice retirement....

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-25-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he's decided to leave some other poor sucker in the firing line (OK, bad pun) when Michael Moore decides to make a sequel! [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-25-2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this feeling that Mr. Moore and Mr. Heston are really "not that great of friends." [Big Grin]

According to the Seattle PI, The NRA got more bad publicity last year in Michael Moore's Oscar-winning documentary "Bowling for Columbine." The NRA currently is championing an effort to revoke the Oscar for Moore, who interviewed a strident but feeble-looking Heston after using a star map to get to his house.

To me, this is playing "Dirty Pool."

Mr. Moore was in the Greater Seattle area on April 16th and gave a speech. I wanted to attend, but the event was sold out.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/117758_michaelmoore16.html

I have a suspicion that this thread is going to turn political. Brad, can you put it in an appropiate place, such as the arena or the trash? [Big Grin]

[ 04-25-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2003 08:21 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly how does the NRA think it can change the results of Academy voting? And why should they care if he won the Oscar? I frequently disagree with the winners, but it just doesn't seem that important considering the various aspects of this entire episode.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-25-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary, your guess is as good as mine. NRA got egg on its face and should just deal with it and accept it. [Frown]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quit the NRA (I was a member of rifle and pistol clubs, and a summer camp riflery counselor) after the assassinations of
Robert Kennedy and Martin L. King. The NRA refused to support any kind of gun legislation that might reduce crime, and after my letter went unanswered, I resigned my membership.
I felt Heston was used as a "good old boy" figurehead, (like Ronald Reagan) to preserve the status quo.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-26-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, it was the same for me. The only difference is that I never was a member of NRA nor do I ever become a member. I have four pistols locked up in my safe (combination lock instead of some stupid $1.98 padlock.)I believe the legalization of assult rifles should not be. They are designed to do one thing, and that is to kill humans. I would never own one, period!

Seems like a catch 22....if all forearms were illegal, only the outlaws that use them to rob, plunder, or kill. That leaves you and I defenseless. No law will ever stop the shady character from having them. However, I do believe in gun control up to a point.

Everyone knows that if someone wants a weapon of some sort, they will have that weapon in their possession in 15 minutes or less. And it does not matter if they are 14 or 104 years old.

Guns appear to be a weapon of choice because they are so easy to get.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Paul . . .

I read the link you provided about Michael Moore. I think he's a little cocky too. Yeah, only a handfull of pro-Bush / pro-troops people show, but take into account the probably hundreds of thousands in this country alone who believe his comments are wrong, and thats a fairly serious group he alienated.

Kinda reminds me of Nixon's "Silent Majority" [Wink]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past Thursday, in a nearby middle school, a 14 year old shot and killed his Principal, and then shot himself in the head. I wonder if the NRA will hold a rally here in the near future. Seemed like Heston had a habit of that kind of timing.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having run "Bowling for Columbine" a number of weeks, I began to get irritated at Moore's biased tactics and smug style, which were especially evident during the Heston interview. They really undermined Moore's credibility during the emotionally weighty moments.

However, I also doubt Heston could have fared any better with another interviewer. His complete lack of serious thought about the social and cultural aspects of gun issues is pretty disturbing for the head of what must be the world's largest gun advocacy group.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-26-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, I also doubt Heston could have fared any better with another interviewer. His complete lack of serious thought about the social and cultural aspects of gun issues is pretty disturbing for the head of what must be the world's largest gun advocacy group.
Agreed, and Moore cynically milked that for all it was worth.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that it is understood that Charlton Heston does have parkenson's diease and when he gave that "interview" with Michael Moore, he isn't/wasn't exactly in a very good state of mind. Now in somewhat defense of Moore, Heston was still the acting head of the NRA and therefore a legimate target. However, I would have like to have seen Moore try something like this ten years ago. I am pretty sure that Heston would have had no problem holding his own against Michael Moore.

Now also not to get too political, I am pro "right to bare arms" but not pro NRA. I also believe that assult rifles should be illegal. Other than that I really don't think that there should be more and more new laws for gun control. Law Enforcement Agencies can't even enforce the ones that already on the books. To use Columbine as an example, it was found that 13 different gun laws were violated in order for Klebold and Harris to obtain their guns. If any new gun laws had been on the books then, it just would have added to that total. Criminals are not going to obey the gun laws no matter how many there are.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-27-2003 04:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope that it is understood that Charlton Heston does have parkenson's diease and when he gave that "interview" with Michael Moore, he isn't/wasn't exactly in a very good state of mind.
No, I didn't know that - IMHO, that makes Moore's exploitation of him even more cynical and further reduces his film's credibility.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 08:23 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I dont get is if Mr. Moore is in to making the NRA look like asses than why is he an active member? sounds kind of two faced to me.(No Batman reference intended)

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 08:28 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the time of the release of "Bowling for Columbine," it was announced that Heston was suffering from Alzheimer's. Once again, I find the timing of that announcement rather cynical to throw sympathy towards Heston. Since the announcement came after Moore's interview, he was not aware of Heston's condition. But since he WAS still president of the NRA, and officiated at those rallies held so closely after the Columbine and Flint school shootings, Moore's questions weren't unduly harsh. His heavy-handed manner is another thing entirely. Chasing after Heston with that photo woudn't have come across very well if he were going after Moses himself.

There were strong indications that Reagan was experiencing the early stages of Alzheimer's while still in office, and Heston isn't there yet, so in respect to the NRA issue and the Moore interview, I don't feel too sorry for him. But I feel very sad for what he'll have to go through now.

So this doesn't veer too political; Regardless of his activism (I also advocate the right of gun ownership within reason), his films will stand, and should always be enjoyed for what they are.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: