Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » June trip to Bay Area

Author Topic: June trip to Bay Area
Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I will be visiting family in the SF Bay Area during the 2nd and 3rd week in June, hoping to get up as far as Mendocino. Any thoughts on theatres to visit? (hint, hint). Thanks in advance,
Chris

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-09-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my goodness, can we plan a whirlwind tour for you! [Smile] Send me an email about your trip and we'll get a group together.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
go to the castro, castro & market in sf. (a little too) baroque interior w/ pipe organ, rep programming.

also, the paramount, broadway & 21st(?) in oakland. they sometimes screen classics on fridays. huge gilded deco interior, seats thousands. pretty lousy sound, but check out the bathrooms. i could live in those bathrooms. a couple blocks away is the closed fox oakland. it's gone to seed but they still light the marquee.

carl

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-12-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [sex] [eyes] [thumbsup]

I saw "Private Parts" at the Paramount and it's got tons of atmosphere. The sound was kind-of on the lame side but I totally missed out on the bathrooms. Who knew?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take Adam up on the whirlwind tour. He has deep knowledge. Stop by the Rialto Cinemas Lakeside in Santa Rosa on your way to Mendocino and I'll give you a free t-shirt.

There are many Film-Tech sites in the Bay Area.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-12-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tour the Fisherman's Wharf area. Lots of good stuff to see. [Smile]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oakland also has the Grandlake theatre, a beautiful theatre whose #1 screen features the stage curtain of the long-demolished SF Fox Theatre, and an organ!

Actually, I WAS scheduled to be in Sacramento for a meeting in June, but that has been cancelled. It may in SF or SD instead.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2003 10:41 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to concur on the bathrooms at the Oakland Paramount. As well as the rest of the place... it's the most magnificent theatre I've ever been to. They offer guided tours on some Saturday mornings and they're well worth it. Oakland Paramount website.

Manny, when did they run "Private Parts"? I can't imagine why they would do so there. The only stuff I've seen them run is classics.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Private Parts? NOT a classic? Surely you blaspheme! [Big Grin]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 04-14-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the Paramount... we Bay ?Areans? need to go to the Saturday tour of that place. Such a beautiful theatre and I've yet to go.

But yeah Chris... definitely work it out with Adam or with myself. I can give you some great recommendations or just drive you there myself. But ask Adam first... I gave him the tour once and I think I might have bored him to death showing him all the Century Domes that I think are really cool... but then again he wasn't too specific as to what he wanted to see.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that the Paramount only does the regular tours on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month. Maybe we could get enough people together to do a private tour on June 16th or so. I'm up for checking out a variety of places, and will have a car while I'm there.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-14-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday the 15th would probably be best to get enough people together for a private tour. Your email said that you were heading to Oakland on that day, though. If necessary, I'm sure one of us could take you where you need to be if your friends aren't interested in joining us. Otherwise, I can work on getting us a Monday or Tuesday tour.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the trip is starting to come together. I've set up a private group tour of the Oakland Paramount for Friday the 13th of June at 2PM. So far there are about six people going; there's room for 30 maximum. All Film-Techers welcome. Let me know by e-mail if you can make it.
Hopefully Monday and Tuesday the 16th and 17th I'll be checking out Davis, Sacramento and some of the Gold Country; Wednesday and Thursday the 18th and 19th doing a loop up to Mendocino/Fort Bragg and back down to Oakland. Back to Hawaii on the 20th, at least for a while.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up. The tour's still on. Anyone interested, we'll be meeting in front of the Oakland CA Paramount (2025 Broadway) a little before 2pm Friday. The tour should take about 2 hours. All Film-Techers with some free time are welcome.
Chris

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 05:55 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, the booth was off limits, but otherwise a great private tour of a really fantastic movie (well, multi-purpose) palace. nice to meet you, chris. thanks for setting it up.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: