Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is a bandsaw print? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is a bandsaw print?
Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw an auction on E-Bay for a bandsaw print of a feature length theatrical film. What is a bandsaw print and where do they come from?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-31-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One method of destroying old prints is they are wound on a core and then the roll of film is cut through with a bandsaw

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can read all about this on the 16mm forums. Basically it's a film (16mm most always) that's been sawed in half by a depot and tossed, then someone gets ahold of it and tries to sell it.

The buyer has to splice it back together. That's about a splice every second or so, yikes!! People who buy these say they look good on screen, I find that very hard to believe; not only would the view see a splice every second, there would be noticible audio issues from frames lost. [puke]

Seems like a lost cause to me; unless the film is free and something you really really want.

Danny

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-31-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount would take Reel 1's, from the prints they were destroying on the lot. NFS depots would take the heads & tails from each print. That they were destroying from Columbia/Tri-Star
Pictures in the early 90's.

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A ban*aw print is a print that h*en destroyed by placing it on a core and cutting thr*it with a bandsaw. Then, someone scoops the thousands *eces of film out of a film depot dumpster and painstakingly splices the wh*ng back together again, cutting out the damag*rames. This results in a loss of one or two fr*every few seconds at the start of the reel, increasing in speed to about one frame ev* second by the end of the reel. In general, th*icture is usually not strongly affected by the missing frames (although if the splic* done with non-clear tape the image will notica*darken as each splice goes by,) but the sound is drastically affect* missing and garbled words. Such a print may be useful for repla*amaged footage in another print, but is generally unwatchable (or rather unlisten* its own right. Cav*mptor

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-02-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF is with the asterisks?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-02-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to feel silly after you read this.

He is simulating what a bandsaw print is like with all of the splices (a frame missing here and there).

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-02-2003 01:02 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's where the bandsaw cut his post.

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-02-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we adopt Matthew Bailey's idea of reading/recording our posts, John can go ahead and cut out blocks of samples. But by his description, it should LOOK OK! [Smile]

AND, it doesn't look like they cut too straight with the bandsaw. The splices are all over the map!

Douglas Curry
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Douglas Curry   Author's Homepage   Email Douglas Curry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wonder if DTS would still function on a 35mm band-sawed print?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-03-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i wonder if DTS would still function on a 35mm band-sawed print?
Yes. 'skips' and all. The same should be true for SRD and SDDS too.

-Aaron

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if you get TWO bandsawed prints, find the best parts of each and swap footage to come up with a "clean" print, and then ultrasonically splice it all back together? Throw in the DTS discs and you just might have a decent print.

=TMP=

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there IS a reason distributors demand that used prints get chopped up and recycled. They do OWN the prints.

It's kind of like finding a torn up check in the garbage, pasting it together, and trying to cash it. [Roll Eyes]

http://www.fpchollywood.com/fscsalvage.html

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, ................wrote

(It's kind of like finding a torn up check in the garbage,        pasting it together, and trying to cash it. )

"Lets take a look at this analogy and see if it holds up, OK."

What if I didn't actually cash the pasted up check, and just kept it , in a scrapbook and occasionally showed it to a few friends,.....other people like me who collect torn up and re-pasted together checks. (Kind of like collecting autographs of famous people) What would be wrong with that?
The check has no reel value, except what it is worth to me as a collector of torn up checks.
And if I did take this check to a reel bank, after a close inspection by the teller (Ms. Wiggins), I doubt that they would even cash it, with out identification showing that I am the owner of the check.
(We are talking about a check that was cut into, lets say 50 pieces, so it is really obvious that someone was trying to destroy this check)

"point number two."

(You know, there IS a reason distributors demand that           used prints get chopped up and recycled.
           They do OWN the prints.)

So now I take the print out of the dumpster that has been bandsaw cut up and I decide to make a splice every time the reel makes one revolution, ...that will take quite a while I'd say, (Maybe 20 hours) and I will loose some frames on every splice, maybe 1 or 2 out of 24 per sec. And the sound will suffer a little as well.Then I project it, only because I love to watch a reflected projected 35mm film image and not a directly viewed crt image.
Now lets state the facts.
I don't own the film, (Never said that I did) and I don't plan on selling the film on E-Bay, and I don't charge my friends money to watch the film, and If the studio wants the film back, I will gladly mail it back to them so they can cut it up again, since it is their film to do with what they want. I will even pay the postage and insure it. Now, all I own is the bragging rights to this film, so I go to work and tell my boss that I watched "Shallow Hal" on 35mm at home last night, and he is supposed to be impressed, but he isn't cuz he doesn't know the difference between 16mm, 35mm or 70mm. and a Blockbuster video rental. (He doesn't have a DVD player yet) So again, whats it really worth to me.
Maybe I should be arrested by the "film pirate police" and put in a jail that doesn't have a theater as punishment, but I don't think so What do you think, Mr. Valenti?. [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another analogy:

Someone goes through your garbage, and pastes together photos of your family, old home videos, and copies of your tax forms and bank statements. They keep them just because they like to take them out and look at them occasionally, and share them with some close friends. Wouldn't you feel uneasy?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: