Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Intermittent unit DP70

Author Topic: Intermittent unit DP70
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg:

You once asked, how much i had to pay for a replacement Intermittent Unit for the DP70 (Norelco). -Now, i have had one for projector #2, and therefore also have the actual price, which was 1.360 Euro - almost exactly the same in US $. (The old unit in return to Kinoton) -And now, both oldies are running as they did 43 years ago [thumbsup]

btw:
Funny, as nicknames spread: I've been using the all-time cliche for years "DP70 - The Rolls-Royce of movie projectors" - everywhere; -on stationery, in adds, even on my tickets.
Last week, my neighbour cinema opened after three months of refurbising, telling the local newspaper, they had now the Rolls Royce in their booth. I hadn't heard of any DP70's being on sale in Denmark, so i paid hem a visit, to find an Ernemann 15 up there... [Confused]

p.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy that seems reasonable. I have heard stories about prices in the $4k range. [Eek!]
I wonder if it varies according to the parts needed?
So now you are set for another 43 years!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,
I think its pretty cool that Kinoton still has someone over there to repair them!! The good old days are still present to some extent I guess. Thats also a reasonable price as well.....

But, they're not all that hard to repair either, just a bit heavy to deal with....

I think the prices of these were inflated back when Kinoton was run by others...then along came Arriflex USA who distributed them and who charges you 100.00 just to allow you to blow your nose next to your nice film camera. Since American Optical originally distributed them years ago many price hikes have taken place and its all added up. These movements don't fail very often so demand is low and usually a slight adjustment in the cam will keep things in GRO for a long, long time. I've only seen one movement that had stripped gears...due to a film stripper being taken off the trap(dorks!)!! I have had to adjust several movements though that were running noisy...and I mean this was an extremely slight adjustment to the cam and thats it!!

Mark @ CLACO

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They call an Ernemann 15; "The Rolls-Royce of projectors?!" I worry for that cinema and for Denmark.

Ernemann 15 would be more like a older Jaguar; you know, the kind where you buy another just like it, hoping buying parts in bulk like that will be cheaper. Or maybe an old Chevy Corvair. How about a mid-1970's Chrysler where you look at the floor and find loose parts rolling around. A Yugo.. only more expensive... No, wait.. like a Fiat, except it leaks so much it can't turn back into iron ore.... A 1960's MG with Lucas electrics.. "What are the three settings for an Ernemann 15? Off, flicker and dim..."

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 04:58 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe i should add, that the cinema referring to Ernemann as the next generation Rolls is run by a get-together of about 100 people, who did not want their local cinema to close. So far so good. To avoid stress between the staff, which is all working free when off-duty at their real jobs, about 30 of them share the booth, giving each of them just enough experience to (with a little bit of luck) remember till next watch, where the start-button is. One watch a month is not good for man or projector.
Local television visited the booth on opening night, and let us all see, how much film you need to thread a Rolls. The first 20 feet were on the floor, and the number "3" of the leader was seen in take-up reel when the projectionist was ready.
Also interesting is the fact, that this projector was installed by the company, who last year was travelling with the story about norwegian cinemas dismounting Kinoton FP30E in big numbers, which showed up to be the propoganda fairytale of the year. Guess, they were the ones to hand over the nick-name as well. Besides that, the theatre is extremely beautiful with great new chairs in stadium-seating - and they've built a baffle-wall, that really started my interest in woodworks.
I've allways learned, the name was electro-noise, but those ev's and that wall made a pretty good job.
As for the Rolls-Royce, I'll keep my signs, stamps, adds and all, and go on sending a little prayer once a day to the fathers of the DP70 ! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,
We have well customers committments for well over 30 rebuilt DP-70's going back into service in the next 2 years!! That would bring the number of DP-70's in the Mountain States to around 65 at that point.
Mark @ CLACO

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby rename those Mountain States SHANGRI-LA

Way to go, man [thumbsup]

Remember to give Thomas Hauerslev numbers and adresses !!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: