Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Michael Larson, Press Your Luck!

Author Topic: Michael Larson, Press Your Luck!
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 11:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a documentary about this man on the Game Show Network. Amazing, amazing person. I think I have found my new hero!

Find out more about Michael Larson here.

"Back on May 19, 1984, history was made at CBS by a man who showed how successful you can be if you just pay attention.

Having watched Press Your Luck since it premiered, Michael Larson, then an unemployed ice cream truck driver from Ohio, came to the conclusion that the swift, seemingly random flashing lights that bounced around the Press Your Luck board were hardly random at all. By taping the show religiously and pausing the tapes, Larson discovered that there were just six light patterns on the board. With this bit of knowledge, he practiced at home while watching the show and realized that he could stop the board wherever and whenever he wanted, if he just had patience."

-----
I also found out that the giant "Press Your Luck" board was actually 18 slide projectors in the back projecting the cash, prizes, and of course Whammys! Sometimes the contestant would hit the plunger right as the slides were changing and it was time to edit in post. [Cool]

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one point, there was supposed to be a movie version of Larson's story made, with Bill Murray in the lead. Apparently, it's bounced around a couple of studios and hasn't moved past the script stage. A tiny bit of info on it can be found here.

NO WHAMMIES! NO WHAMMIES! [Smile]

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of couse I read about the time the slide projectors blew up on the board. I don,t know if I should mention about the Press Your Film-Tech Luck Game or Film-Tech Whammy!:the all new Press Your Film-Tech Luck. Try winning 110,237 feet of film!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: