Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CP500 Easter Eggs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: CP500 Easter Eggs
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-01-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heared that the Dolby CP500 has easter eggs built into the software (hidden features, games, etc.) Is this true? If so , how are they activated?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2003 08:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You are familiar with the numbering scheme of the soft keys (SK), right? The left side is SK1-4 from top to bottom and the right side is SK5-8. Assuming you know how those buttons are named...

MENU
SK1
SK6 and 8 together
OK
SK4 and 8 together
OK
SK1
SK4
SK1
...at this point you will have a pop up screen that will want an access code. Dolby didn't put much thought into it. Just enter a string of "8" in a row (their backdoor password) using the fader control coupled with SK3 (up) and SK4 (down), then press
MENU

...then you will be at a screen where you can select between various games. It's been a long time since I played any during a movie, but I think there is Tetrice, Lemmings, a really crappy version of Pac Man, some elevator game, asteriods and a few others. I recommend you do this between intermissions though (in the event you hit a wrong key you don't want to screw up the sound).

Somewhere on the Dolby site there is supposed to be a hidden link where you can download additional games that can then be uploaded into the CP500 via laptop. I've never bothered to look for the link though.

Bear in mind these games have no color or sound, and they are extremely low resolution. Also be forewarned that when you have to do the "double" SK entries that they have to be hit at EXACTLY the same instant. If one of the two is pressed even just slightly before it's counterpart, the CP500 will just sit there and do nothing.

SK3 and 4 are your "up/down" buttons and "menu/ok" are your left/right buttons. The "format" button is your firing button.

There is also a combination of keys to press to have the password displayed on the lcd screen, but I don't think that is a good idea to post publicly. Only qualified techs have that sequence. The games are no big deal though. Someone must've been bored when they programmed those games in. I know the CP650 certainly doesn't have any!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-01-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...that is par for the course with software programmers....figure a way to sneek some sort of game onto anything that has a screen.

In the case of the CP-500...I'm surprised since it is so maxed out that they would have allowed those games to exist and take up valuable space.

Steve

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the only "they" who knew about the easter eggs in the CP-500 were the programmers themselves. Having worked in the game biz for the last 10 years, I know first-hand that software developers LOVE to put in easter eggs. A lot of thought goes into it. I'm into pinball machines, and many digital pinball machines have easter eggs in them. "Star Trek: The Next Generation" pinball has always been rumored to have a breakout-type game in it as an easter egg, and a few people claim to have seen it, but nobody knows how to intentionally invoke it. It just comes up when it wants to, which is very rarely. [Cool] Some DVDs supposedly have easter eggs in them. I think "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" has at least one, although I haven't researched it... [will google it right now though]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-01-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How to put this.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ...

Okay now that thats out of my system,
DVD Easter Eggs

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2003 03:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - Don't go telling everybody about the games! They'll just get addicted like we did. Remember that Thursday night at the Chinese in #16 where we kept having Tetris (proper spelling) battles against each other? I remember kicking your ass at it, that's for sure! But the next thing we knew it was 4:15am and we still hadn't screened or moved any prints! That was a hellacious evening.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's it. Now I have to save up to get a CP500 so I can play these games! Games in the theater's sound processor should be a must, anyway. Dolby should retrofit the CP50, 55, and 65 to have games, too. [thumbsup]

Better yet, DTS should figure out a way to get games on their DTS 6AD, and have these games stored on the movie CDs. That way, you could get a new game each week!!

=TMP=

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the 6D or 6AD but you ought to be able to play on a DTS6 with the addition of a video card, monitor, keyboard, and suitable software on a CD-R mislabeled "dts.exe." I'm surprised no one has written to say they are posting to F-T via their DTS box. Going online would be a cool challenge.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-02-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT'S IT! We should build a new chat server using a DTS-6AD. With the 6AD we could use the LCD display for server load status, etc.

Anybody got a DTS unit that they want to donate? The sound processing boards and CD-ROM drives don't need to be working.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Was you SK sequence a joke? [Wink]

I was told by some friends that the sequence is not working.
The software was 1.61 and 1.52

Bye
Antonio

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio

The games are only accessible if Ver1.61 or 1.61EX are installed on the processor. The cunning part about having 1.61EX is that all the enemies firepower is disabled - a nice touch on the part of the Dolby software engineers. Has anyone beaten my Hi score yet of 30785424899 on Tetris? I must admit, we had no one in the theatre that day! I am also lucky enough to have a CP650 with Version 2.1.9.0 software on it. If you have this, then along with the laptop software Version 2.1.9.5. then the original game of Doom, Gorf and Resident Evil is stored on the cat.794. Has anyone finished Resident Evil by playing only with the front panel controls? First to do so wins a weekend in Cambridge, UK!!!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Oh, I see!!

I believe that SDDS players have a limited version of Unreal Tournament 2003 too....

[thumbsup]

Bye
Antonio

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-03-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be an Easter egg for drive-in owners who get the Screen Attractions Demo DVD. The entire digitally-remastered "Showbiz" intermission clock can be played "in the clear" -- without superimposed logos or lower-third messages.

It's a chapter that doesn't display on the menu screen. You access it by entering "7"... unless the mastering facility disables it somehow when they make the copies.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, I might have something backwards in the SK sequence. I know it works with all CP500 firmware. The 1.61 has extra games I think, though I've honestly never tried with that firmware. I'll have to check around here at Shoest and see what all I can find out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: