Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My First Feature Length Motion Picture (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My First Feature Length Motion Picture
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can't call it a film. (can't afford that yet) And I'm not sure about calling it a feature (according to the slides (that, until recently, were non exsistent at my favorite theater) the film has to be at least 3000' long to qualify (no film and I don't think the videotape measures that long))

This summer I lens my first movie. Using one video camera which I own and 1 which I am going to borrow or rent.

The movie is 1/2 fictional game show and 1/2 3 Stooges short. (public domain, of course).

I already have 1 actor who has agreed to take a part (I'm playing the host of the gameshow, voice only.)

Hopefully it will be on DVD by fall.

... that and the vaccume cleaner broke at the music store (where I work).

|  IP: Logged

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[message deleted out of embarrasment]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and that didn't help at all

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-19-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and good luck! You'll have to have a FT sneak. [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-19-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I'll rent you a Mitchell BNCR, if you want to put it on 35mm film, and really do it up right!
[Wink]

Congratulations on your project, and good luck to you.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 01:21 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John, I'll rent you a Mitchell BNCR, if you want to put it on 35mm film, and really do it up right!
There are a few obstacles for this.
  • I have no idea how to use a 35mm camera.
  • For the sake of consistency I would have to rent 3 cameras.
  • I really can't afford 35mm film right now.
I'm actually going to rent at least 1 camera no matter what. Ideally I would have 2 cameras set up on closeups of the onscreen actors and a third camera set up on a mid-long shot showing both actors (they are both girls, but I hear this is the correct way to say/write it nowadays).
quote:
You'll have to have a FT sneak. [Smile]
Maybe. Don't know where this would take place. Any ideas? I can't afford to get a print made as of yet. So it would have to be someplace that can project DVD or someone would have to spend the extra money to get a print made. ($13500 for 35mm, $9000 for 16)

I'll be shooting widescreen (in camera 16:9) and windowboxing the short (Shemp Howard in "His First Flame") within the 1.85 area.

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Une procédure efficace et rapide cinema est présentée pour faire les moules transparents de substrats durs tel que les os, le rocher, les coquilles du translatte et le bois. La procédure est basée sur un de deux-pièce cela est surtout convenable subo titleed pour monter de rhume, de chaleur et pression qui évite qui pourrait endommager des substrats fragiles.

California Translation: I would gladly do the French translation for you when you release your film in France. Remember, the French love Jerry Lewis.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that so many of us are tech-geeks, tell us more.
-How are you planning on synching the 2-3 images in the editing process?
-How are you recording sound? one camera? all cameras? seperate?
-Don't forget lights! The more time you spend lighting for video, the better it will look.

Good luck with your project!!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 02:20 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
isn't widescreen on DV 1.78:1?

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 07:58 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16:9 = 1.78:1

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AltaVista Translation:
An effective procedure and fast cinema is presented to make the transparent moulds of hard substrates such as the bones, the rock, the shells of the translatte and drink it. The procedure is based on one of two-part that is especially suitable subo titleed to assemble cold, of heat and pressure which avoids which could damage fragile substrates. [Confused]

Before I answer the following questions, I will say that the set is going to be laid out something like this:
 -

The gameshow consists of 5 rounds in which the loser gets slimed (hence the cardboard).

-How are you planning on synching the 2-3 images in the editing process?
-How are you recording sound? one camera? all cameras? seperate?

I'll answer these 2 together. I will have unidirectional mics plugged into the 2 cameras on the closeups and use the 3rd camera to synch the images. Since I'm actively participating in the "visual effects" departmaent, I will always be close enough to be picked up by at least one mic and I may end up dubbing my lines (the questions) later.

-Don't forget lights! The more time you spend lighting for video, the better it will look.

I'm planning to shoot outside (my back yard, actually), so I will have daylight to work with. Apart from that, the look is going to be adjusted using various controls on the cameras and my editing software.

isn't widescreen on DV 1.78:1?

Yes, but when & if this movie is presented on film, it will most likely end up at 1.85:1. So I am putting the Shemp Howard short as 1.33:1 within the 1.85:1 area in foresight.

The way I plan on editing is as follows:

• Main Titles of Shemp Howard short "His First Flame"
  • Main titles of gameshow. (This works very well as the theme from the gameshow ["Gametime" from Clockwork, mp3.com, $7.99] is in the same key as the music from the short.
  • Round 1 of the game.
  • "His First Flame" from the fade in until the first fade out (there are bout 4 fade out/fade in transitions in the short).
  • 2nd Round of the game.
  • More of "HFF"
  • etc.
PS I KNOW that academy ratio is 1.37:1. But the source I'm using for the short has it cropped to 1.33:1.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-23-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The movie is 1/2 fictional game show
Hey, John. Since it's fictional, is there any reason you're shooting it with a 3-camera setup? That's normally used for something with action that you absolutely have to get in one take (like an elaborate stunt sequence); or for episodic television, where a live audience is present.

Judging from your description, it sounds like a project that could easily be shot with one camera, out of sequence. Then you could better use the money on something that would directly increase the production value (like lights/reflector boards, sets, costumes, etc.).
[Wink]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 01:21 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the gameshow sections I plan to have the actors actually play the game and videotape it live. This way the reactions/gameplay will be more realistic than if I were to script it and shoot it in multiple takes with one camera.

As far as a screening goes. My research on this has shown me that it will be somewhat less expensive to book the show into a movie theater (using a [puke] [dlp] digital projector) than it would be to release it directly to DVD.

The Newark Cinema Center is looking like the best choice right now.

PS. I know that there are places that will transfer video to film. I may actually have one of them transfer the trailer.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I would recommend against transferring a trailer to film. It will most likely set you back thousands, yes thousands, for a decent transfer. If you are going to do this, and want to do it well, I would follow Tim's advice and dump it into your production. Is the gameshow supposed to take place outside? It will most likely look, and sound, like it whether you want it to or not. If you have a budget for video to film transfer, I would highly recommend that you move indoors and rent some lights. The control that a quiet, indoor space affords is invaluable.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-25-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would recommend against transferring a trailer to film.
Joe's right. Video transfers look like crap (to put it mildly). No matter how well they're done, and no matter what manipulation is used to cover lines, you still end up with a picture of a television screen.

Any kind of transfer costs thousands. I am speaking from experience here... I haven't done video, but I do output high-res 35mm film files. On screens everywhere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: