Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film-Tech's Worst Speller? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film-Tech's Worst Speller?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably me, judging from my recent posts in Feature Info & Trailer Attachments.

First, my apologies to Bill Gabel, who first posted Final Destination 2. Yours truely went by the enclosed title sheet: Final Destination II (Roman numerals). Naturally, a search turned up nothing on that when I posted.

Next, my thants to Steve Kraus, who noticed that I neglected to type the "a" in Shanghai Knights. Hence, anyone doing a search using the correct spelling would have turned up zilch on that one!

Finally, the current blunder on the "How To" print. This time I went by the official schedule sent to me by my company's Director of Operations at make-up time: "How to Lose". Guess I lost! [Eek!]

I'm just going to have to use the spell check more often. As the old saying goes "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." [Big Grin]

You may all begin the rant now.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-07-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate Gordon McCleod.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2003 10:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

When doing searches, it's best to pick one major word from the title so you don't have that happen. For instance, if you had searched for "destination", it would've turned up (along with possibly one or two others).

Also, it IS "lose", not "loose". The word "lose" could be used to describe a situation as if you lost your wallet. The word "loose" could be used to describe baggy pants. Hence my crack in the FITA forum about the lab not being able to spell.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your baggy pants are so loose you show your crack?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-07-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never a dull moment on FT....

Jeeze, when I have to start my emergency Diesel 35KVA generator just to fire up the computer so I can log in on FT, that shows how addickting it is. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It is an old 1945 US Army Surplus 3-phase generator with a 4-cylinder UD-9 IH Diesel engine, so it is gasoline start, Diesel run. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes to bring it on line... [Eek!]

...Had to do that because some klutz ran over a power pole on the highway tonight. [beer]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many (but not all) projectionists I know are poor spellers. I'd like to think the same gene that makes me a lousy speller also makes me a good projectionist. I'm very grateful for spell checkers! [thumbsup]

Since Joe mentioned Gordon, I will add that Gordon uses the absolute minimum amount of words to get his point accross. Good for us here, but he could never be a politician since if someone asked for his opinion on something,... he would tell them!

Paul, that's pretty interesting about your 'gas start - diesel run' generator. Is there a smaller seperate gas engine which is used to turn over the main diesel (we used to call that a 'pony motor')?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-08-2003 05:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not an issue for you guys, but I tend to mistrust spell checkers since they all go with American English (and not least because Microsoft once changed 'Hitchcock' to 'Hitler' in my master's thesis, which gave the lecturer marking it no end of amusement). You can install the Microsoft Word one to use British English, and I've done this on my own PC and laptop. But if you're using someone else's, the chances are that it will have been installed with the US dictionaries, especially if it is one bought off the shelf and pre-installed with a system disc image. Other programs, e.g. Eudora, don't have a British option at all and I just got so fed up with red lines appearing all over the place that in the end I disabled its spelling checker.

Also, Microsoft's grammar checker really pisses me off, specifically its refusal to allow the use of 'which' as a preposition.

I don't think my spelling is too bad: there are, I'd guess, about 5-10 words in English that I always have trouble remembering the spelling for.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-08-2003 07:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon`s style of writing without punctuation is obviously heavily influenced by James Joyce. Therefore, it has to be seen as literature and as such ordinary spelling and grammar rules do not necessarily apply.

quote:
don't have a British option at all and I just got so fed up with red lines appearing all over the place that in the end I disabled its spelling checker.
Leo, the difference between British and American spelling is not so big, if you have red lines all over, maybe you should leave the spell checker on [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-08-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John Walsh: ... I'd like to think the same gene that makes me a lousy speller also makes me a good projectionist. ...
You don't know how true that is!!

Dyslexia, as a matter of fact, can manifest itself in a whole bunch of different ways. Some people with a more mild case could simply have trouble spelling... like getting their "I"s and "E"s mixed up when writing out words. Other times it can show up as a sort of absent-minded forgetfulness.

Are you the kind of person who seems to get lost easily? Even in your own house? (rhetorical question)

Well it turns out that people who have dyslexia tend to have better ability at spacial relationships and constructing complex mental images. It is hypothesized that this "special ability" makes dyslexics tend to gravitate toward more technical professions like mechanics and machinists.

I know several "old time" machinists who are crackerjacks when it comes to running a lathe or a milling machine. I have actually seen a guy fabricate parts to fix a broken water pump in a matter of minutes. My father and I were chin-on-the-floor, aghast to see him do this. BUT... when it came to handwriting this same guy looked like he couldn't pass the sixth grade!

So, John, you are probably not THAT far off base!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-08-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J bn uif xpstu tqfmmes. [Smile]

To translate this comment - you have to go back one letter.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geezus Paul nice generator. I'd love to have one like that!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-08-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John and Greg, since both of you voiced interest in my generator, here is a picture:

-  -

The whole thing weighs about 4,000 lbs. The fuel tank in the shed holds 220 gallons of Diesel fuel. The UD-9 International Harvester engine is the same engine (with exception of a slightly different oil pump and oil pan) that was used in International Harvester TD-9 Cat.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and the left side of the brain is where most of the hardcore verbal processes take place. The right side of the brain deals with the bulk of visual references & spatial matters, and controls the left side of the body.

Statistically, left-handed people make more spelling errors than right-handed people.
(That statistic doesn't fit my household though, both my roommate are right-handed, and terrible spellers - I'm the geek that always fared well in spelling bees...)

...so, how many of Film-Tech's admittedly bad spellers are lefties?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe is the worst speller since he mispelled my last name [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-08-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael suggests that:

quote:
Leo, the difference between British and American spelling is not so big, if you have red lines all over, maybe you should leave the spell checker on
Actually I'm constantly surprised at just how many -our (UK)/-or (US) suffixes there are, and also the US English habit of turning nouns into verbs simply by adding the suffix-ize (e.g. 'burgle' in British English becomes 'burglarize' in US English). There are also several other instances of a British English 's' being a 'z' in US English. Over, say, a 10,000 word piece of writing that can make for a lot of red lines.

BTW, when you install the dictionaries in Word 2000, the English options are UK, US or Zimbabwe. Does anyone know what the specific differences are in Zimbabwean English? Is it just that the Zimbabwe English dictionary includes some proper nouns (i.e. surnames and place names) that are likely to be used in Zimbabwe but nowhere else, or are there more fundamental spelling and grammar differences?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: