Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theatre Recommendations For Upcoming Vacation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre Recommendations For Upcoming Vacation
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's vacation time!

Nearly a year ago I posted a request for some theatre recommendations and got a great response from many of you (and even met a couple of you film-techers along the journey, as well). I'm getting set for another vacation, so here's another request.

My question is if anyone is familiar with the movie theatres in the cities of Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, and also Washington, D.C.? I'll be on "vacation," but in the event I elect to take in a movie in any of these cities, or wish to visit any famous or noteworthy places, are there specific theatres that are worthwhile, are old-style palaces, or are highly-regarded for having outstanding presentation quality? And are any to be avoided at all cost? In addition, if anyone can recommend any non movie-related spots worth checking out (museums, historical places, tourist spots, bars/clubs, etc.) that would be highly appreciated, too.

Thanks very much!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are interested in railroads there is the old union station in Cincy. THere are many theaters in Cincy mostly National Amusements.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-05-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Cincinnati doesn't have crap anymore. Everything worthwhile is long gone. Make sure you visit the Uptown in DC, though.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Chicago area:

Loews Cineplex River Oaks #9, the D150 house , located in Calumet City, a lower middle class suburb south of Chicago.

Downtown:
The Chicago Theater is now primarily a live event venue. Ditto the Oriental, and the Palace (now the Cadillac Palace). The latter was the 3 strip Cinerama house. The Harris and Selwyn (one time small live theaters), later the Cinestage and Michael Todd movie houses, had their facades saved and incorporated into a new Goodman Theater (live) complex. The Cinestage had been the 70mm Cinerama house. One or the other was the home of Smell-O-Vision.

On the north side the Music Box Theatre is a well known art house and runs 70mm occasionally. It's an "atmospheric" style theatre, not too large (and not particularly ideal for widescreen). On the northwest side the Gateway is now home to a Polish cultural association; it's a large atmospheric on the interior. They run films on occasion such as last summer's silent film series. The Uptown Theatre on the far north side is a 4300 seat movie palace, closed for a couple decades now, awaiting restoration. The Tivoli in west suburban Downers Grove is a 1040 seat 1920's sub-run house that ran 70mm on a subrun basis during the 80's.

That's what comes to mind just now.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews Cineplex River Oaks #9, the D150 house , located in Calumet City, a lower middle class suburb south of Chicago.

Be sure to have your M-16 with for self defense!!!
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-06-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out: the Uptown and AFI in DC, the Senator in Baltimore, and the Byrd in Richmond (yes, it's worth the drive).

And, I'd strongly suggest making a special trip to the Princess II in Watseka, IL! [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-06-2003 07:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're traveling through upstate New York, don't miss a visit to the George Eastman House, with its equipment collection, film archive, and Dryden Theatre:

http://www.geh.org/

http://www.eastman.org/

In Auburn NY, visit the Theodore Case Research Lab Museum, the "Birthplace of Talking Films":

http://www.tourauburnny.com/case.html

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am between Cincy & Cleveland, I would welcome a visit from a fellow Film-Tech junkie. I won't even charge you for a tour [Big Grin] .
www.thestrandtheatre.net

Also, in Akron, just south of Cleveland is the Akron Civic, they just went thru at 22million renovation. Just beautiful, it is a John Eberson design.
www.akroncivic.com

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleveland
Great Lakes Science Center OMNIMAX Theater

Madstone Centrum
The Centrum and its neighborhood are described (~1941) by author Harlan Ellison in the introduction to "Harlan Ellison's Watching" (1989) (ISBN 0-88733-067-3) pp. v-xvi.

Case Western Reserve University Film Society

Cleveland Museum of Art has variable speed controlled Century projectors.

Cleveland Cinematheque

Akron
Akron Civic Theatre

Columbus
Wexner Center for the Arts

Dayton
John Harvey, Mr. CINERAMA.
I don't know what happened to the New Neon Movies post CINERAMA.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-06-2003 09:53 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Neon update:

http://dayton.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2002/10/21/story5.html

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And when you make it into the Pittsburgh area, give us a call.
Besides my single screen [Smile] I really like the Loews Waterfront Theatre in Homestead.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 07:26 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also vacationing, this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for Charlotte, NC? Only there for a couple days and not likely I'll do a lot of looking around, but what little I do look at I would like to have some interesting quality to it. Will also be heading from Boston to Centerville, OH in June, any ideas on theaters or other attractions along the way? Thanks! [Cool]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre Historical Society of America
York Theatre Building, 2nd floor
152 North York
Elmhurst, Illinois 60126-2806
here

Great American Movie Theaters, (c)1987, ISBN 0-89133-127-1

Google Directory

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visit the Manor Theatre in Charlotte, NC. Built in 1950, it was twinned ats ome point and plays mostly art movies. If you're interested in closed theatres, the Center in Monroe, NC just east of Charlotte still has a pretty interesting marquee and was undergoing some kind of renovation last time I was there. It was a local arts group, so I don't know if the project ever got finished.

In Cincinnati, the art museum is pretty good and it's worth your time to take in a live show at the Taft Theatre. I saw Alice Cooper there earlier this year and it was a hoot! Nice theatre with a balcony.

Downtown Cincinnati is also the home of the "Hustler" store, which Larry Flynt maintains purely to aggravate the rather-conservative city fathers of Cincinnati.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 02:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffry Johnsons' suggestion to check the THSA site is good.
Click on the THEATRE LINKS link at the bottom left to go to a page with states listed albphabetically in the left frame.

I'd post a link, but the THSA site is corrupted with the evil of frames -- but fortunately it has no java, javascript, flash, or music which plays when you load the site, any of which would commit it to the service of Satan & condemn its administrators to hell.

Did Michael say he was going to Chicago, or is Steve just shilling for onion-land? The Tivoli in Downer's Grove is still running pictures, & has a Wurlitzer theatre organ played regularly
http://www.organman.com/tivoli.sht

and if you're around Chicagoland you've got to visit the Rialto in Joliet
http://www.rialto-square.com/
The site is down right now, but theater is truly a kick upside the head.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: