Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » PDA's

Author Topic: PDA's
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for info on the various PDA's on the market. I might entertain the idea of getting one for a side job I picked up. My
needs will not be that great, I'd just like to have one to make notes, keep client/contacts, a datebook feature with alarm perhaps...

Would require some sort of interface to allow sync'ing with PC to swap files/databases etc.... Mainly out of Access and Peachtree.

Any recommendations?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

I used a Franklin planner for years and had to fill it with new pages at the end of each year and that used to be a royal pain in the ass. I have been using a Palm IIIc PDA since February 2001 and what a joy it turned out to be. The IIIc at the time was Palm's top of the line unit and was the most expensive because of a color display which I think was the only one on the market. Beside Palm, there are many other brands that are good but I will still stick with Palm when it comes time to replace my current unit.

-Claude

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Closest thing I ever had was a Timex/Motorola pager/watch combo from www.beepwear.com It was great because I couldn't afford a cell phone, so my friends could page me. Wasn't much thicker than a regular watch and accepted numeric and text pages and also stored 99 phone numbers (transmitted via computer screen read by infrared sensor on watch face). Only thing it didn't do was appointments/addresses and notes. I've been thinking about a PDA as well, but will probably go top of the line with digital camera and cellular capabilities, just so I don't end up carrying 3 or 4 devices someday. Anyone have good experience with something along this line?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-04-2003 06:57 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Palm Vx that was great for the first two years but this year it's been a nightmare. It constantly loses all the information stored. I get it back by hot sync with my computer but it is very unreliable at this time.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here Is the Palm Pilot for the dummies, and mine of course! [Big Grin] [IMG]
 - [/IMG]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-04-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Palm m505 here. Love it.
The new Clie is absolutely amazing too! Go check them out

Also - cool piece of projectionist software for palm here

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob
Your storing it to close to your pocket. [Eek!]
That's why your losing all your information. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: