Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Optical / wireless mouse

Author Topic: Optical / wireless mouse
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This evening I tried for the first time an optical wireless mouse. There are optical mice and wireless mice, but I opted for both. I am noticing that sometimes there is a delay in the movement as well as sometimes small moves do not move at all. However the worst part is that the same movement of one inch of this mouse moves the cursor MUCH farther than a regular mouse does, so I am constantly overshooting everything.

My question, is the overshooting issue is the fault of the optical or the wireless part? Or could this be the particular manufacturer. Also, can anyone verify if all wireless mice have the delay and occasional failure to recognize a small move?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried to slow the pointer movement. I have an optical mouse on our other computer it is not wireless but I think I may of had to slow the pointer down a bit to keep from over shooting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha, I had forgotten about that control. That definitely helps, however this "stalling" I am getting is quite annoying. Would repositioning the receiver make much difference? The manual said...oh wait what am I thinking, the manual was useless.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad
Yes i had to change the speed. I have the wireless optical made my "Logitech" I have 2 of them. I had to slow the one down for windows 98 more then the one i use on XP.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-02-2003 03:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cordless mice and keyboards suck!

Corded optical mice rock!

The problem with some wireless keyboars and mice are that they don't deal well (if at all) with interference caused by many radios/cd players, some computer monitors, some unshielded or 'crappily' shielded computer speakers and the actual computer itself. This causes delays while the device repeatedly tries to send its data from its buffer and receive an 'OK' response from the receiver.

Some of my customers have experienced good results by duct taping the receiver to the bottom of their desk, directly below where they normally operate the device (mouse / keyboard).

The major disadvantage (besides the fact that you now have to buy batteries for something you normally wouldn't need to): having no cord makes it harder to find on your messy desk. [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-02-2003 03:54 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least the wire on a moose or keyboard breaks the fall of those units when you accidently knock them off your desk. [Big Grin]

...even in a raging fit, the wire will probably stop the keyboard or mouse from slamming against the wall when it is picked up and given a mighty heave... [Smile]

Daryl, I can relate to that...just grab the cord, give it a yank, and see what moves......and there it is. [thumbsup]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've played with a real slick (corded) optical mouse (not my gizmo or machine), and I do remember that slowing down the pointer certainly helped.
It was nice and ergonomical, for someone's right hand… Which sucked for me, being extraordinarily left-handed.

…and you know what? It can be mighty tricky to find a nice mouse that can function 'ambidexterously'. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-02-2003 04:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a corded optical mouse (Microsoft) for my Mac and it rocks. I have a cordless optical mouse (also Microsoft) for my Win2KP PC and it also rocks. No lagging and it is VERY precise. The receiver is about 2 or 3 feet away. It can be placed up to 6 feet away.

The worst problem I can see with cordless mice is battery drainage.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-02-2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, Joe. [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-02-2003 12:01 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was nice and ergonomical, for someone's righthand? Which sucked for me, being extraordinarily left-handed.
I have mice by Microsoft and Logitech, optical and with balls (haha) which are completely symmetrical. Maybe one of these would work for you. I like my optical mouse because the wire doesn`t get in the way and I don`t need to have a pad on the table. I also like the red light coming on when I move it. The mechanical one is just a tiny bit more precise.
More important to me is the wheel. Life without it is very sad.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree, but I have used them in certain theatres that had no access to get the R-2 cable into the booth. Hence I set up the analyzer and computer just on the outside of the booth window, on a ladder and controled the computer with a wireless keyboard. Fortunately the windows are large...one reason I won't remove them. I've had several woreless mice here and none of them have lasted for what ever reason....perhaps the neighbors figure out the frequency and jam the mouse:).
The better corded mice are much more reliable.
Mark

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the microsoft optical corder which I absolutely love, especially when I was still internet gaming. It seemd to respond a lot better and with greater accuracy. I do believe I adjusted the speed down. I have only tried a wireless keyboard, at my friends house while using his WebTV to check my email and I HATED it. I have a pretty good typing speed (thanks to high school classes) and the thing could not keep up with me AT ALL. I ended up typing like a ninth grader. When I switched from my Logitech "ball" mouse to the optical I thought about wireless but could not see the advantage. My computer is on a desk with keyboard/mouse "drawer" so the wires are not in my way and I only have a 15" screen so I could not type from my couch or anywhere else away from the desk. Maybe when I get a 42" plasma tv and want to hook the computer through to it as well as my home theater that would be useful, otherwise I see no point to wireless.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mouse I use is a symmetrical one (from Logitech), and it has a scroll-wheel. It works well, and I like, but it's nothing fancy.

I openly admit to having a strong dislike for track-ball types of mice! Carpal tunnel is nothing I want to deal with! [Razz]

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the "mouse" that I use
 -
Logitech Trackman Marble FX

It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but the control for graphics design, video editing, etc is amazing. (also no carpal tunnel to worry about Gracia, it is about as hand friendly as you can get. Only for right-handed though, sorry)
Jonathan

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-03-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using an "Logitech" optical wireless mouse when I do power point presentations for groups. I have never had a problem and it has worked since the get go. Using with XP, also.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: