Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » George Lucas' TV Camera is Now Obsolete (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: George Lucas' TV Camera is Now Obsolete
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2003 12:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this new camera designed for moviemakers. Better than HD. Who woulda thunk that cinema could ever be better than HD? [Smile]

Clicky Here

With a resolution of 4000 x 2000 and a 35mm image sensor, I'd definitely like to see the results of this. But part of me wants to wait and see what they develop next week that makes THIS obsolete. Filmmakers (moviemakers, actually) should wait for the 65mm image sensors. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ho-Hum:

Kodak 16-Megapixel Sensor

Kodak 11-Megapixel CCD Sensor paper

Kodak Sensor Applications

Kodak Sensor R&D

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-29-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
DALSA claims that their camera is for filmmakers and NOT broadcasters ... but I'm sure that they'll have at least one on display at the upcoming NAB convention (National Association of Broadcasters).

I would really like to see that 4000x2000 resolution coming back out of a DLP projector.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John, I offer YOU this reply:

Ho hum.

The Kodak sensor is definitely better, but no cameras use it yet! [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 11:09 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Redifer wrote: "The Kodak sensor is definitely better, but no cameras use it yet!"

Lots of cameras use Kodak digital sensors. [Cool] The Kodak 16-megapixel camera backs have been on the market for over two years. Kodak 22-megapixel sensor technology is already being commercialized:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/corp/pressReleases/pr20020924-24.shtml

The DALSA site says "Coming Soon" -- so we'll see if it's real or "vaporware" at NAB.
[Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motion cameras? I'm not talking still cameras.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-29-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting with great anticipation. (heh-heh)
[Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, higher rez video cameras will produce moving images far greater than the capacity of HD broadcast to deliver. One might ask, "why bother and not just settle for 1920 X 1080?"

Why? Computer based video, for one thing. Viewsonic and a couple other manufacturers have 23" monitors displaying the new 3840 X 2400 pixel standard. Resolution specs will probably go way higher than that. Graphics card makers are doubling and quadrupling the performance of their adapters every year, which would lead to demand for high rez motion video for gaming and other forms of entertainment. New advancements like OLED displays may make for giant, wall sized TV screens one can simply roll up out of the way.

If the telcos can get out of their financial slump they might propel forward new, much higher bandwidth network connections.

Overall, I think over-the-air broadcast is ultimately doomed. Newer video storage, playback and transmission formats will see to that.

But you need very high rez video cameras to capture the footage (unless of course you simply want to get as good/better of a result by using film).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 09:25 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For motion cameras, the best choice are those Kodak 12-megapixel sensors attached to 35mm rolls of clear durable plastic. [Cool]

We also sell them in higher resolution 65mm size, and more compact 16mm size. [Smile]

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 03:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, but I don't see anything on the site about how they handle the I/O requirements. That image sensor, if it really is outputting the kind of data they claim, is going to need some very high speed, high capacity storage. What does their camera record to? Tape? A hard drive array? Is the output compressed? If so, in what format?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Haney wrote: "Sounds interesting, but I don't see anything on the site about how they handle the I/O requirements"

Correct. The devil is in the details. [evil]

Digital cinematography requires a SYSTEM, not just a chip or just a camera. And any practical recorder today will involve quantization and compression, with their associated artifacts.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 10:06 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Henderson wrote: "New advancements like OLED displays may make for giant, wall sized TV screens one can simply roll up out of the way."

Kodak has led the way in developing OLED technology: [Cool]

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/index.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/kodakAndOEL.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/overview.jhtml

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--------------------
any practical recorder today will involve quantization and compression, with their associated artifacts.
--------------------

Not quite. Many of these new cameras involve transfer of non gamma corrected RGB data direct to hard disk recorders with dual HD-SDI links, at rates of 2.978 Gb/s. (the theory being that the gamma elements will be reconstructed by post production colorists). This allows 1920/1080 to be recorded with absolutly no compression or quantization whatsoever. One of these cameras, the 9 megapixel native 2:35 CCD Thomson Viper, has been on the market for over a year.

http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/cameras/viper/

The most interesting camera that is currently in the rumor stage isn't the Dalsa, but a joint effort planned by Ikegami and Arriflex. They are said to be bringing out a HD back for the Arri 35mm camera, that is, instead of loading a film magazine on the back, you'll be able to snap on an HD optic block with a megapixel imaging system and asscoiated processing.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HD back for the Arriflex 16SR is reportably to be shown at NAB
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Ogden wrote: "One of these cameras, the 9 megapixel native 2:35 CCD Thomson Viper, has been on the market for over a year."

What movies or HD television shows have been shot with that new camera during the last year? [Confused]

(AFAIK, the camera was introduced at NAB in April 2002.)

I did say "any PRACTICAL recorder today will involve quantization and compression, with their associated artifacts."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: