Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Beards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Beards
David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everybody

As you can see by my photograph I no longer have a beard. I would like to purchase a new one for the winter season here in Cambridge. I believe that most of the UK cinema industry personnel aquire their beards through the American Eyebrow Company. Does anyone have a telephone number for this company? I hear through my friends in New York that the projectionists at the Radio City Music Hall all have beards from this company and that the General Manager of the Cinerama Dome buys new sets of eyebrows from this source.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at this one David. I saved a lot of money on it....I grew it. Are you really that bored?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had a beard long ago (check out the century theatre canada photos it was sujested that it might be possible to get a home insulation grant based on it keeping me warmer [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-26-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I like mine. Although, it's shaved at the moment. Helps to start all over again sometimes, keeps the rodents out.
[Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-27-2003 12:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, your beard looks very nice. You look a bit like Sean Connery in "The Hunt for Red October".
David, I think you might find a nice beard right there in London. I lived in Wood Green for a while. All the oriental gentlemen there had beards. I think there must be some good beard shops in that area.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-27-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can barely grow a decent mustache. If I tried to grow a beard, I think I would just end up looking like Shaggy from "Scooby Doo." Zoinks!

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez..I just too lazy to use a razor...besides, North and South Dakota require face coverings this time of year!!!

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I must tell you I grew one when I turned 29, because I was still be carded all of the time. I turned 55 a couple of years ago and you guest it, I'm being carded again as nobody believes I'm a senior, which isn't a bad thing.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first stopped shaving on a student-class steamship to Europe when the water in the cramped dormitory cabin washbowl swirled menacingly as the ship rolled. On deck was an Italian with a black Svengali beard, nattily shaped, and I figured I could grow one on the ten-day crossing.
When I returned to New York City, I was puzzled when groups of youths across avenues would thrust their fists in the air and yell "VENCEREMOS!!" Apparently Fidel Castro had come to public attention, and they took me for a follower.
But you can't always dictate how a beard will look. In the photo on the left mine definitely needs a trim, but I am unable to imitate the neat Italian's whiskers. Mine turned white, while my head is still brown. Go figure.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-28-2003 08:09 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
nobody believes I'm a senior
Robert, that's funny! Sounds like the old George Carlin joke.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since there has been such a large number of responses to my beard post, I feel I should share an anecdote about a beard I once had. I began to grow a large beard back in 1975. It turned out to be a truly magnificent specimen, and one I will probably never be able to grow again. I owned and nurtured said facial hair for 2 years right up until the cinema that I ended up working in was built. It was on the opening night,in May of 1977, and Her Majesty The Queen and her husband Prince Philip were due to open the theatre. Time duly passed on the opening night and after a long tour of the other facilities on offer the Royal party duly arrived in my projection suite. Her Majesty was not that interested by my projection equipment, and duly left the box. However, His Royal Highness, Prince Philip turned out to be an avid fan of cinema equipment, apparently often operating a pair of projectors in the various Royal Households in the Empire at the time. He was very interested in the equipment, so I demonstrated how to lace up (we had an Ernemann VII and an Ernemann VIIB at the time). However, on lacing up and starting the machine, my beard became entangled in the intermittant and the majority became removed from my face, Very painful. His Highness remarked at the time that it was for this very reason he had never sported a beard.

I duly forgot about this incident until many months later when I was called by the Manager of the local film exchange (Rank Birmingham - long since gone) about an excess of facial hair lodged in reel 1 of whichever film it was (The Railway Children seems to ring a bell). Apparently the remains of my beard had found their way into the projector at the ABC Deansgate in Manchester, and caused them to lose a show!! Maybe had they checked their print correctly then this would never have occured. Does anybody else have such an unlikely story as this to share with other members?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-28-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had a newly built cinema in 1977 equipped with Ernemann VIIB? It is a good projector, but it dates from the 30s.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-28-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never could grow a beard. It always comes out in prickles....

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My latest look,
 -

Its been one month and 4 days since I went Kojak. [dlp]

[ 01-28-2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-28-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David! [Eek!] How embarrasing! [Embarrassed]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: