Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wart removal techniques (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wart removal techniques
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-24-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll make this rather brief for I can only utilize one hand for the next week. What are various wart removal techniques BESIDES LIQUID NITROGEN!! The nurse at the hospital got a little carried away with the N2 on tuesday an I have had a 3.5cm blister on my hand. After I passed out tonight when the doc had to "deroof" it, I don't think I'll be using that technique again. I have heard of using duct tape. any other home remedies?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-24-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some say model glue. I like SuperGlue myself. Basically you need to starve it for air.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-24-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the doctor could excise it in various ways.

After numbing your hand with an injection of Lidocaine (or whatever) he can simply use a scalpel, a pair of scissors or even an electro-cautery unit (set for maximum power) to literally burn the affected tissue away.

If you just plain don't want to see a doctor about it you could use an O.T.C. preparation called "Compound-W". Obtainable at most drug stores, the stuff comes in a bottle with a dropper. You put a few drops of the stuff on the wart every day for a few weeks and the wart will usually disappear.

A similar home remedy I have used is the sap of a milkweed plant. Break off a leaf and daub the sap onto the wart in the same way as the "Compound-W" above. Good luck getting milkweed sap THIS time of year! [Wink]

Finally, you could put your finger into a bucket of ice water until it gets numb and then take a sharp pair of scissors and, "SNIP!"
No! Don't really do this! I have done it and it hurts a lot. The wart usually grows back worse than before if you don't get every last bit of it, roots and all.

As a kid, growing up, I have had warts on my hands and feet. (Plantar warts SUCK!) I have tried (or have had tried ON me) just about every one of these treatments.

I rank them:

1) Liquid Nitrogen. (Far away the best!)
2) Electro-desiccation. (Smelly!)
3) Manual Excision. (Bloody/messy! Takes a longer time to heal.)
4) OTC preparations. (OK for mild cases but takes a long time to work.)
5) Milkweed / Home remedies. (Doesn't really work.)
6) Scissors and an ice bucket. (Just don't!)

I don't know why the Nitrogen didn't work unless the person doing it really fucked up! It's usually quick and painless.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-24-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a prescription medication called Condylox® (podofilox topical solution 0.5%) that I used in conjunction with the liquid nitrogen to remove a very stubborn wart with great success! [Smile]

See your dermatologist again and ask.

-Aaron

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask me the origin, as it was passed on to me by someone else [Embarrassed] , but try urinating on it.

Preferably while in the shower! [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-25-2003 02:35 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Tamolie, Josh! By the way you described it to me, you better keep a close eye on it.

I pryed out a little one many years ago with a can opener. [Big Grin]

(Nah...Just kidding)... but seriously, watch for any kind of infection.

Randy, that's how they pryed a hunk of skin cancer off my face several months ago. The doctor took a hunk of my hide that was about 2.5 inches long and an inch wide. When I saw it dangling in a specimen jar, it looked like it was at least a half-inch thick.

I have to admit, my face felt like it was tighter than a bullfrog's rear end that was stretched over a rain barrel for a few weeks.. [Eek!]

But that's OK, it smoothed out a few wrinkles...Maybe I should have the doctor do the same thing to the other side of my face to balance it out. [Smile]

Chris, pissing on a wound is something I heard that was helpful in killing infections, since it has some very good antiseptic qualities. However, I would rather not "Field Test" that theory....for obvious reasons...

[ 01-25-2003, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1: Get a new dermatologist. Dangerous office staff are the #1 reason to get a new doc.

Before freezing, there was hyfercation. Warts were burned off electrically with a device that looks like a little arc welder. ZZZZzzztttttt....for 10 minutes or so while the room filled with the smell of burning flesh and the wart was burned away from the top down in a haze of smoke & spark like a special effect in a 1950s sci-fi movie. Hyfercation usually leaves scars in the shape of the outline of the wart; look at older folks' elbows.

Plantar warts especially would respond to preparations of salicylic acid. These were often available at local (independent) drugstores, cream preparations made locally from some "family" or professional recipe.

Laser treatments are now said to be recommended for genital warts. I dunno, it makes me think of Goldfinger. Still, it almost certainly would beat hyfercation. ZZZZZzzzzzttttt....

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 06:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,

Guaranteed 100% best way to rid of it. Soak it for 2-3 Hours a day with Aloe Vera Juice. After about 2 weeks it will be gone.

Just get a cotton ball and soak it in the juice and then tape it over the wart.

I was dubious also, but it worked perfectly for me.

regards
Steve Brown

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently there was a blurb in the news about how Duct tape could be used for wart removal, by covering the wart with a piece of duct tape and keeping it covered. Something about the acid in the adhesives or something. Supposedly it works

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm --- maybe cover the wart with a piece of acetate film that's begun to have "vinegar syndrome" (acetic acid)? Or a wet aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid)? [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take an aspirin, wrap it up in a piece of acetate film, piss on it, strap it to the wart with a piece of duct tape and then seal it with super glue? [Big Grin]

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo... never a dull moment here on Film-Tech [Big Grin]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that is what makes this board so great.

Let's start a topic about other personal hygiene issues.

Yeah.. that's the ticket....

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am surpised no one as suggested the use of a .357 Magnum [Wink]

Blow the damn thing away [evil]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could 'FilmGuard' help? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: