Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » PC USB-to-Serial adapters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: PC USB-to-Serial adapters
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-16-2003 06:20 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking about buying a new notebook. Many attractive new ones come without the serial connector we all know is needed for such favourite tools as Dolby and SDDS setup programs. We have already widely discussed running those programs on a Mac under Virtual PC using such an adapter. I know that there are similar adapters available for PCs which plug into the USB port and have a serial connector on the other side. Is anybody familiar with them? Do they work for cinema applications such as hooking up the notebook to a Dolby or Sony processor?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-16-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory you shouldn't have any problem with the USB <-> Serial adapter with applications that run under Windows 98 and later, like the SDDS software.

You'll probably have problems with software that runs under native DOS or a DOS4G / DOS4GW if you don't have a DOS device driver to 'make it happen'. [Smile]

If I can find my USB <-> Serial adapter I'll try it out. I think I left it up north though, so it'll be awhile.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These puppies can get expensive. I'm running Windoz XP on a laptop and had a real headache getting my adapter to work. Apprently XP is not real friendly to IO. The unit I bought was a pcmcia Ruggedized Dual IO Card by Socket Communications. It took sometime and a few phone calls (and one exchange) to get it to work. It works now but what a pain. They are constantly improving these things and I would imagine they've figured it out by now, but who knows. I should also mention that this same card apparently worked fine under Windoz 2K
The ones I hear are better than others are the Quatech DSU-100 and the EdgePort 421.
You can also get a variety of these adapters really cheap, but they have a variety of problems, and getting them to work them same way every time can be difficult

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can always go with a docking station, if the machine supports one, but that doesn't look so cool does it. [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-16-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XP doesn`t allow programs to directly access the hardware. SDDS setup does not work under XP. It runs, but it doesn`t communicate with the serial port. WinDRAS works under XP. It would be nice if such an adapter came with a driver that emulates direct hardware access for the programs and then passes the data on to the USB port. Then there should be no problems. I am not familiar with the signal structure on the USB port. Does anyone know if the conversion to serial data takes places in the adapter or if it is done by software?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's generally a software emulated serial port.

The software converts the serial data into a dataform compatible with the USB interface. The adapter itself converts the 'USB data' back into RS-232 compliant serial data. The same works in reverse.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-17-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had an opportunity to try it with a DA20/500/650?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-17-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No but if I can find the darn cable I'll try it out with a CP-500.

Normally I just use my Dell Inspiron that has a serial port but carrying around the lighter Latitude would be a lot nicer. [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-09-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried it with a Toshiba notebook and an adapter from Belkin to a DA20. Of course, it didn`t work.
What can be done about that? I imagine a lot of you out there also have newer notebooks without a serial port, so what adapters are you using?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 01:23 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USB to Serial adapter that I have been using has an FTDI (Future Technology Devices Intl Ltd. - http://www.ftdichip.com/FTApp.htm) FT8U232 chipset. I've been using it with Windows 2000 but there's no reason why it wouldn't work the same under XP.

Anyway, WinDRAS locks up when it's used with the USB to Serial adapter but DRAS10 and Load500 work fine.

Here's a picture of the (gray / silver) cable hooked up.
 -

Here's a blowup of the serial port end.
 -

[ 06-10-2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Daryl C. W. O'Shea ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-10-2003 02:13 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WinDRAS locks up when it's used with the USB to Serial adapter
That sounds very promising!
[Frown]
There doesn`t seem much that one can do except for trial-and-error testing of various adapters. Still, what is it that makes it so complicated for a variety of adapters to work? Under normal circumstances, the OS would hand the data to the serial port. I understand the adapter software emulates the port, but how can it be so difficult to make it work when the reversion from USB data back to serial data is a mirror process?
What could be won from playing with the COM port settings? If any, which would be the settings most likely to reach a solution (data rate, parity, stop bit etc)?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 08:26 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
USB to Serial this shows a few tests. I have tried a Belkin F5U103 and it is a piece of junk. It is a little box that both cables plug into. It locked up my laptop when hooked to either a CP-650 or a Media Matrix. When I was in Canada last month, I found an adaptor that looks like the one that Daryl has, and it works fine with the equipment. There isn't a brand name on the cable, and the device comes up as a Prolific USB to Serial adaptor. Hope this helps,
Rick

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More ane more laptops are comming with out serial port on them as they are generally considered part of a "legacy" system. The USB-Serial adapters should work, in theory. However I haven not seen much success in getting them to actually work on true serial devices. About the only thing that I've seen work successfully on a USB-Serial adapter is a PDA.

I believe the problem lies in that is not true UART but emulated. Anything emulated never works as well as the real thing.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used a Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor to hook my iBook to several things: Dolby Digital (DRAS 10 & WinDRAS)... U.S.L.'s DSP-60... Sony SDDS... Sync-ing Palm Pilots.

Every one of them worked fine once I got the driver for the dongle installed properly and got the software that I am using to know where the drivers are located.

When I used this dongle for Dolby, I had to run DRAS under Virtual PC and that's where the beauty of the thing lies. The emulator takes care of handling the dongle and its drivers. The "guest" software doesn't even know that it isn't running on a real PC, nor does it even know that it isn't talking through a real serial port.

When run with an emulator like VPC, the guest OS and the guest application(s) run slower than they normally would but when you're talking about doing the kinds of things we do, speed isn't critical as long as the thing is fast enough to get the software to run.

Now, even when NOT running under VPC and using Mac OS 9 or OS X I have not had very many troubles with the thing once I got it set up in the first place. The only thing I ever had happen was under OS 9. When I accessed the modem, the OS would switch the I/O stream away from the Keyspan adaptor and to the modem port. When I wanted to use the adaptor I would have to remember to put it back. Once I got updated to OS X this ceased to be a problem. OS X just "knows" what to do with the adaptor. When you plug the thing in, the Kernel Extension(s) for the thing load automatically. When you unplug the thing, the KEXTs unload. It seems to happen auto-magically! (Unless you listen for the sound of the HD when the software loads. [Wink] )

I know that Win-95 (via VPC), DOS 6.6 (via VPC), OS 9 and OS X handle it well on the Mac. As to how other computers or OS-es handle the Keyspan (or other brands of) adaptors I can't attest.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FTDI chipset based adapters are actual hardware UART chips. Probably why they seem to work 'better' than other adapters.

Hmmm... maybe you could run the Dolby software under Virtual PC under BasiliskII on your PC. [Smile]

Mike, try running DRAS10 and Load500 using the adapter you have. I haven't had time to play with settings to get WinDRAS to work... if I do I'll let you know.

If anybody wants one of the cables I have, I could mail you one. They cost about $80 CDN.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: