Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Satellite Internet Connection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Satellite Internet Connection
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here use there Satellite for internet connection?

I have a Direct TV & am considering using it for my internet connection. I am wondering if anyone has it/had it & if it has any problems with signals reception & speed.

Also compared to a basic broadband subscription, which is better?

Please note that I only use the internet for basic surfing & music downloading but my MSN only likes to connect at 24.0 kbps, I just want something faster.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-14-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it. Download speed is in the neighborhood of 150K, but upload speed is only 56K or less (we were getting 30K). We had ours here at the theater through Dish Network and dumped it as soon as our ticketing system was up and running on DSL.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam said:
quote:
Don't do it. Download speed is in the neighborhood of 150K,

150k !! Right now were downloading at 5k. I cant imagine 150k! [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Satellite is also very laggy. Meaning while the download speeds seem "quick" by the time they are going, it may be awhile from the time you actually click on a link until anything actually happens.

Adam Martin

- posted 01-15-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that download speed also depends on upload speed in that your computer has to return a checksum for each packet received. So, if you have a really crappy upload speed, it will adversely affect your download. And you're also uploading when you send emails, etc., but you probably already knew all that. [Smile]

Dish Network actually contracts to Starband for satellite access. Starband booted us off the network a couple of times for someone with our IP address trying to "hack into their system". Um, yeah, whatever.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-15-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DirecWay satellite internet is ludicrously expensive compared to cable and DSL. Avoid it like the plague!

-Aaron

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-15-2003 02:24 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24.0kbps! I wish I could connect at that speed when using dial-up during the summer. [Frown]

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 03:41 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also curious if it's affected by weather. For example: when it's a bad storm I always get a less than perfect DirectTV signal, So am I right assuming that the internet connection would be affected too?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-15-2003 05:03 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen of it, the Directv picture is far less than perfect even in good weather. The compression artifacts drive me nuts, especially for sports programming.

Adam Martin

- posted 01-15-2003 05:36 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the weather also affects the Rx/Tx of your internet connection. Ironically, every time Starband thought we were scanning their network, we were in the middle of a big storm. And the satellite connection would drop out for hours in the middle of the sunniest Northern California day, too. All of this was happening with no noticable difference in the television signal coming in for the lobby monitors.

Now we get 192k up and down on the cheap DSL connection in the box office. At home, I can get a DSL line with 384 up and 1.5Mb down +/-.

You mentioned "5k" earlier and compared it to my 150k. You're likely seeing 5 kiloBYTES there and I'm seeing 150 kiloBITS. Multiply your number by 8 to compare properly.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad satellite is the only option for those of us who live in the country. No cable, no DSL, and very very crappy dial up. I think I will be biting the bullet and buying satellite as soon as we move into our new house in about a month. BTW, the theatre has satellite to maintain the website and seems to very pretty stable and fairly fast.. but no comparison to a T1 or anything like that.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered satellite internet, but always choked at the expense and limitations. I would want to use it for hosting my own web site but the last time I checked you couldn't do that. So then I think to myself "how fast do I really NEED to surf the net?" Right now my connect speed is 26.4 rarely I get 28.8. Would it be worth the money? I keep answering no to that question.
The phone company says we're do for an upgrade to "DSL capable" in 12-24 months (sure)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Satellite internet should be your "last resort". It's expensive, and it has technical limitations due to lag time transmitting & receiving. And yes it can be interrupted by weather. DirectWay specifically mentions (or at least they did 6 months ago) that satellite is not good for online gaming or other real-time 2-way uses due to latency or delay issues. If I lived in the country and had no other options, I would do it, but if you can get DSL, cable, or wireless, those should be your first choice.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to our location being on the fring area of Bell High Speed we recently installed LinkSat for our internet at the office. Download and Upload is from the dish.

As Joe mentioned earlier it is very laggy. For surfing it is just a bit better than dialup. Downloading is great and extremly fast(for us that just finally come out of the dial up world.)

The only other problem is that whenever it snow's someone has to make the climb to the roof and use our trusty satelite repair tool. (Broom)

I belive the LinkSat uses a Hughes Satelite.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in an area that can't get anything except satellite service,(besides dial-up) is it worth the extra cost or should I just settle with the dial-up?

Kris - About how much do you pay monthly?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: