Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Coming Soon To A Theater Near You: Attack of the Cliffhangers

Author Topic: Coming Soon To A Theater Near You: Attack of the Cliffhangers
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the success of the Lord of the Rings series and the probable sucess of the Matrix sequels, does anyone else see a possible trend developing (we all know the lack of original ideas in Hollywood)? I am a little worried of an onslaught of movies coming out with cliffhanger endings with sequels do out soon. Not all of them going to be good enough to carry over to two films. Anybody else worried about this?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 03:05 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this will be a problem. I think it IS a problem, and has been so for quite some time, but especially since the mid-to-late 90s. It seems that very few films come out that have no chance whatsoever for a sequel, and the ones that do often have sequels developed from them anyway. Father of the Bride 2 jumps into my mind for some reason.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2002 05:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the up and coming prequal...Dumb and Dumberer

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-23-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood will keep cranking out those sequels so long as the cattle, drones, automatons or whatever else you want to call the public in general is silly enough to keep paying to see them.

Basically, we get the movies we deserve. Want better writing, more original ideas, more courageous performances, etc.? Supporting independent film is one of the best ways to do it. The public needs to be enlightened. Too bad I cannot force many people to watch the Independent Film Channel once in awhile. It would be even better if I could convince more people to read books. We might get better quality movies if that were to ever happen.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 01:53 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the recently announced "Vega Brothers"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-23-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can visualize it now...."Attack Of The Eight Legged Freaks II"...Jeeze...

Some of the movies coming out today don't even qualify for a "B" rating.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell don't they just "admit it" and revive the old movie serials like they used to have?

Just get it out in the open, do it and be done with it! On top of that, they just might get some credit for an "original idea"... Bringing back an old genré and giving it new life!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-23-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don`t think it would be possible to produce serial movies as such again. The general moviegoing behaviour has completely changed. People don`t go to cinemas every Saturday afternoon. They watch serials on TV. The average movie production is too big and too expensive to start whole series of movies before it has been proven that a certain concept works.
The sequel thing started in the late sixties or early seventies I think. When the old genres had played out, producers did not know what might work and were happy if a movie proved successful. Of course they wanted to follow up the success of that movie then.
What I do not quite understand is why so many sequels are so bad. There are many very professional people in the movie business. Why does it seem to be so difficult to successfully develop a proven concept?
Personally I have no problem with sequels as such. It can be a lot of fun if cherished characters return to the screen. Also, I don`t think that we are experiencing a general lack of creativity from film makers. If you look back to any given period, most of the movies produced then were rubbish. Only that we tend to remember just the good ones which were as rare as they are now.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-24-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago a young screenwriter approached the networks with a great idea that was met with success. His idea was to create a show that had the elements of a continuing story, yet each weeks story stood on its own merits. Each weeks story would be written, produced and directed by entirely different people, giving a very broad spectrum of presentation from week to week, keeping the show fresh and never growing stale.

That show quickly became a show with staff writers, the same producer and only a couple of directors, none of which was the original intent of the show.

The show was cancelled after three very unwatched seasons.

However, Star Trek became a very successful franchise many years later, only to be killed again by the same sterile problems that plauged the first productions back in the late 60's.

The problem with movies is studio producers. They sterilize EVERYTHING. Playing it safe is the name of the game. No broad strokes of genius anymore.

I believe that the MATRIX and its sequels will be much better than most, primarily that the directors are left alone to create by their own valition. Problem with Trek and Bond, the series owners are too protective of the long term goals and refuse to be broad and creative, in other words, inventive and fun, and even possibly mentally challenging.

This is why Independant film, whether it cost fifty dollars or fifty million, is so much more fun. No studio involvement to dilute the process.

Dave

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here comes another one...

Pirates Of The Caribbean Planning Back-to-Back Sequels

To join the ranks of Back to the Future, LOTR, and Matrix..

Disney is considering filming two sequels for Pirates of the Caribbean back-to-back, then releasing them at seperate dates. The Lord of the Rings trilogy did this, as did The Matrix sequels.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski, and stars Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley are all set for the first sequel, but have yet to sign on for the second sequel.

Credit: Variety

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't fo'get about Kill Bill.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: