Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Random Questions Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Random Questions Thread
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For short little questions that don't need a thread of their own. [Smile]

1. Why are UK Cinema posters called 'Quads' are they 4 times the size of something? What?

2. IMAX sound is digtal. Does it have analog backup?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-16-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

1. Why are UK Cinema posters called 'Quads' are they 4 times the size of something? What?

I should know the answer to this one, but I can't remember. There used to be a lot of strange British paper sizes with odd names; they have largely been replaced by the metric 'A' and 'B' series sizes, but for a few purposes, such as posters, the old sizes survive.

quote:

2. IMAX sound is digtal. Does it have analog backup?

Dick Vaughan can probably give a fuller answer than me, but I'll have a go. Imax sound isn't always digital. The film print carries no sound track or time code. in the original system the sound was carried on a six track 35mm magnetic film running on a separate follower. Mounted on a shaft in the projector is an encoder which workes very like the devices inside a ball type mouse. This produces an output which represents the movement of the shaft, and therefore the number of frames run from a fixed starting point can be calculated. The sound follower is locked onto this signal, and the sound therefore stays in sync with the picture. Later IMAX installations have digital sound, but are often equipped with the analogue magnetic system as well. The digital sound is stored on a computer hard disc, onto which it is loaded from DVD-ROM discs supplied to the theatre. It is syncronised to the picture in the same way as the magnetic sound, i.e. basically by a frame count, and therefore, unlike DTS, is is not possible to remove damaged frames from the print, or the sound would be out of sync. Although many IMAX installations have both sound systems, only one of them would normally be in use at one time, the film would have either an analogue or a digital track, not both, so there is no backup.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-16-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the film Everest use DTS for it's sound source?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 12:18 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a person who projects film is a projectionist, and a person who works with and sells concessions is a concessionist, then why is not a race car driver called a racist?

=TMP=

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-17-2002 03:31 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because "projection" and "concession" are Latin loan words which are usually combined with the suffix -ist to denote a person which is connected to the noun while "race" is a Germanic word and those are combined with -er for the same purpose. The word "race" in its biological meaning derives from Latin "radix (root)" and the word race meaning to move very fast comes from Old Nordic "rais". Hence "racist" for a person who judges people on the basis of their "race (radix)" and "racer" for someone who moves really fast.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 09:41 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they called concessions?
As far as i know, in australia it's just called candy, which is purchased in the candy bar.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-17-2002 10:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just assumed they were called concessions because the theatre was allowed to keep the revenue from it. That is, it was a concession made by the studio in an agreement a long time ago.

It would be interesting to know the real answer.

Anyone..? Anyone..?

By the way, Michael S., that is a very intriguing answer to what seemed like a non-serious question. Wow.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-17-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I happen to be a hobby linguist [Wink] I don`t have any deeper linguistic knowledge but it is a subject which I find hugely interesting and so even a fun question like Tom`s makes me seriously think. By the way, "radix (root)" is also the word behind "radish", "radical", and there are even usages of "radix" in English which I didn`t know. But I have the Deluxe Edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica on CD and it provides answers for almost everything.
Except for why the candy sale in cinemas is called "concession".
It must be either what Manny suspects or maybe cinemas had to obtain a special license or concession from the state to sell edibles?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Michael. That was great! I certainly learned something. [Smile]

=TMP=

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-17-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The American Heritage dictonary has "4a. The privilege of maintaining a subsidiary business within certain premises. b. The space allotted for such a business. c. The business itself: had an ice-cream concession in the subway station.." That doesn't really speak to the etymology, but it makes one suppose that it's not specific to theatres.

The OED has nothing useful to say.

--jhawk

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, from the FAQ in the tips section:

9.10 Why are `trailers' called `trailers' when they are spliced after the `leader' of a movie?

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've had a question nagging at me that is %50 film and %50 television, not sure if anyone will have the answer. Why is it when watching some movies on television I will notice an occasional black scratch but only during one shot. Not even the whole scene, just one shot. Since I have no idea what the process of getting film-television I really cannot speculate, and since it is only one shot instead of the scratch starting/ending "normally" (without pattern) it sounds more like it came from the negative. Any ideas?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-17-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers are called trailers because years ago theaters always ran double bills consisting of cliffhanger films you had the first feature followed by a news reel, some cartoons and trailers for upcoming films. Films also ran a lot of times continuously without intermission. They called the previews trailers because they trailed the feature.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" RADIX MALORUM EST CUPIDITAS "
said the cunning linguist. [evil]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-17-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't that how the (German) Emcee described the American showgirl in "Cabaret"?

"She's a very cunning linguist..."

Why are British posters referred to as "quads"? They are not 4x the size of a 1-sheet, so I'm guessing the name comes from the printing term "quadrat" which is also how certain printing machines got the nickname, too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: