Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What some videographers will do for attention (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What some videographers will do for attention
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/russian_ark.html

Yes this is indeed impressive, but how exactly do they reload the camera? I know that a Steadicam can be passed off to another operator (not easily, but it can be done) to keep a long shot going, but what a pain this must've been to shoot.

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 02:28 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the production notes, there was no reloading of the camera.
It was recorded onto some sort of hard disk system instead of film or tape.

It also says the director was not interested in setting records or creating something new, but just didnt feel like editing.
I guess they just decided afterwards to market the movie that way.

Id like to see it to see how it all turns out.
Too bad it wont look that good.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it appears I have poorly chosen a subject title for this thread. Allow me to correct this to remove the word film, since it is NOT a film.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if nothing else this will show those jokers who like to cut off an ID frame at the beginning and end of each reel. [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-14-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't fathom what a staging and rehearsal nightmare it must've been! [Eek!] Imagine getting a couple hours into the take and then picking up a light stand or microphone!

Joe, that's funny!! [Big Grin]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 06:03 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the ad for this in the fall issue of FILMMAKER, I could only imagine the logistical nightmare involved.

BTW, maybe it's time they change the name of the magazine to something more all-encompassing.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of using the Hermitage as a setting for showing the history of the palace and of Russian history with emphasis on its royal patrons of the arts, with brilliant costuming and thousands of extras,
should make for a grand entertainment. After reading the New York Times condensed review, my wife can hardly wait to see it.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 07:19 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen and shown a fair amounf of Sokurov's work. It is unlike anything else I have seen, but the comparisons to Andrei Tarkovsky are fitting. Sokurov's films tend to unfold slowly and deliberately. People seem to either love or loathe them.

The Russian Ark looks to be a bit of a departure for him, but I'm sure it will be quite beautiful. I'm looking forward to it.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This video played as a film at the Telluride Film Festival and was very well received. I heard that they rehearsed for 6-weeks to do the film. The filmmaker only got access to the Hermitage Museum for 6-house to do the film. That meant that they only had 6-hours to stage, block and video the whole thing.

The critics love this film. I think it might bore the tears out of our audience but I have been wrong before. I might like to see it on television.

I thought our audience would be bored by Rivers and Tides but there was a tremendous call for the film and it made good money, albeit at another theatre.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, Ian...it's not "filmmaker". Shame on you.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he is a filmmaker and now a videomaker as well [Razz]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2002 03:30 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's a filmmaker as the final product is film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No Mr. Ian, i don't think so. With respect to this production, it is videomaker.

I guess Spielberg is a videomaker according to your reasoning, Ian. Since all Spielberg movies end up on video, that would only make sense. That Saving Private Ryan sure was a good videomovie!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-15-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian- So how did it play at Telluride? You would have to make frame accurate changeovers which even the mighty Steve Guttag cannot do every single time (he called and told me this--- and then hung up!). I assume it looked like a few frames were missing at each changeover.

A platter would be the only acceptable way to run the film version of this movie, leaving 100% of the frames intact for 100% of the times its shown. Well unless you cue it up like the mighty Brad Miller does and let the automation do the changeover! [Smile]

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2002 03:20 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must see this film, just imagining the filming logistics is incredible. This could never be done in Hollywood without "cheating" a shot here and there. Plus they could never leave a film like this, unedited,

The title of the film is briliant, Russian Ark.

The ark of a scene is a term used by screenwriters to describe the point at which the character, plot and story elements come together in a formulaic way in the development of the plot/story line. It has, I think, seven points.
The broader explanation of a story arc or (ark) is that a story arc exists when the hero of a plot has strong similarities to heroes and/or plotlines used in fables and older works.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: