Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rock-Ola Jukebox trouble. Can anyone help????

Author Topic: Rock-Ola Jukebox trouble. Can anyone help????
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rockola jukebox that I am having trouble with. It used to work fine. Now when its turned on the turntable spins but the needle doesnt move and it wont change songs. I have never even looked inside a jukebox until yesterday so I dont really know what to look for. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
John

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-09-2002 09:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, what model Rock-ola do you have? I have serviced some many moons ago, but I can't recall the basic mechanical configuration. If it is similar to the old AMI's (I think it is) you might have a mechanical jam. Something didn't cycle through. The motor that does the cycling may have failed, or its fuse blew. Check your carriage hammers and timing. Check the pulse generator and pulse converter. If you like, send me some pictures of the inner mechanics, maybe it'll refresh my mind. It has been the better part of 28 years since I worked on one of them.

If the record flops on the turntable, the carriage electronics, pulse generator and converter are probably all OK. And, if the clamp snatches the record and puts it back in the rack, that will verify the same. So, I think it would be more than likely a cycling motor or its circuitry that drives the mechanics of the arm and mute switch. If the thing unmutes, that circuit may be ok also. The last thing that happens in the cycle is the machine unmutes the pickup. If it does unmute, just look for a simple jam that may be impeding the free movement of the arm.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it stopped working it put a record down and that was all it did. Now I cant make it pick the record up or anything. All that happens when the power is turned on is the turntable spins. I cant make it do anything else. Ill try and get some pictures of it tomorrow.
John

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-09-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look for a blown fuse or broken wire. It'll probably take a little time because in those machines, you scratch your head wondering which came first...the chicken or the egg. [Wink]

If you don't have a manual, try to get one. Unless you are completely familiar with a juke box, you'll need one. If you know the model number, there is some good Rock-Ola web sites. Here is one of them:

http://www.kuijs.net/rock-ola/

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where would the fuses be? I only see one in the front that is a half amp slo blo. I also see a couple relays.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John:

What model jukebox is it? I used to service many 45 rpm jukeboxes over the period of 1976 to 1989 before the conversion to CD jukes. You can order the service, parts, and operating manuals from www.victoryglass.com Victory Glass also bought the remaining New Old Stock Rockola 45 rpm machine parts from the Rockola factory a few years ago and they would be your source of parts, too. Ask for their catalog.

The internet newsgroup for jukeboxes is alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 05:39 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a Rock-ola 468 that was digital but electromechanical selection. (pre microcomputer) Every thing was working until the breakers inside started tripping. I never figuerd out if it was something with the record changer before it was trashed.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-10-2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days, you certainly don't want to trash any kind of vinyl disk juke box. They can be worth alot of money, working or not!

I have an old AMI 200 machine. The Model No. is JAH-200, Serial Number 375169. It still works. The face glass is shaped like a 1958 Chevrolet windshield. A service tag on the vacuum-tube amplifier indicates repair in 1956.

I bought that thing in 1975 and paid 125 bucks for it. The last appraisel I had about 10 years ago was about 900 bucks. I am sure it is worth much more now.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-10-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1971 Rockola 445 juke that is currently sitting in my brother's basement (no room for it in my current place) [Frown] I might loan it to a friend to keep it happy and dry [Smile]

-Aaron

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the model number today. Its a Rockola SuperSound2 Model #490-1

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy that's newer than the ones we had. The last model we had gotten was model 480 before we made the switch to Rowe-Ami CD jukeboxes. All the later model Rockolas had several circuit breakers on the mech control box/power supply. Look for some red posts sticking out of the control box on the back wall of the jukebox. Press the red button in to reset the circuit breaker. Chances are the breaker to either the "gripper" motor or the "magazine" motor has tripped.

Is the mechanism "Service/Scan/cancel/Off Switch" in the off position maybe?

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 12:29 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken if you need help on fixing Seeburg jukes try the Seeburg Jukebox Information Club in Yahoo groups.
The owner & moderator of the group is under the member name typed selectomatic in all lowercase no -'s or spacing.
The history of the Seeburg jukeboxes is as follows briefly.-
Melatone jukebox-a failed Seeburg first attempt-the record changer had a tendency to break the records & all Melatones were recalled.
Audiophone-Played 8 selections fron 8 records using a ferris wheel record changer. Selectophone-10 selections from 10 stacked records-
some had an annoyance of bending the turntable spindle.
Symphonolas-all-used a sliding tray record changer-WurliTzer changers had swinging trays-called a Freborg changer.
SICM-Seeburg Industrial & Commercial Music system-first to use
a record changer called the Select-O-Matic. M100A-last 78 rpm jukebox. M100B-first 45rpm jukebox. V200 first to use Tormat mag memory-short for TORoid MATrix. 220 & 222-first stereo jukes.
LS3-fist to use Microlog selection system. SMC1-fist microcomputer juke. SCD1-fist CD jukebox. SS160 Stereo Showcase-first to use dollar acceptor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: