Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Los Angeles councilwoman blocks Pearl Harbor Day screening (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Los Angeles councilwoman blocks Pearl Harbor Day screening
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-09-2002 11:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that Los Angeles city councilwoman has blocked a Pearl Harbor Day screening of Tora! Tora! Tora! at the city-owned Warner Grand Theatre in San Pedro because it might offend Japanese Americans.

Catch up with the ongoing story here.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 03:37 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't get it. It is a part of our history that cannot be changed. I am not too far from LA LA land here in Vegas. I can drive over and pull that stick out of her ass if somebody wants me to.

That is like an Isreali politician asking not to play Shindler's List because it may offend German people. Politcal correctness just plain sucks.

I feel like I am surrounded by morons.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 05:44 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forbid the release of a film? What kind of cultural dictatorship is that? No-one is forced to go and see the film if they don't like it!

This reminds me of religious extremists who set the fire at a Paris cinema playing The Last Temptation of Christ. Different method, same goal...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-10-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tora! Tora! Tora!" is one of the GOOD ones, too!

Some movies took a lot of liberties with the facts in order to make better wartime propoganda for the troops. Tora... is one of the films that told their stories in the most historically correct context.
(Well, as historically correct as a Hollywood action movie can be...)

Melanie, my Fiancé, who is in charge of the local historacal museum says, that when they have exhibits that contain material that some might see as offensive they just use the standard disclaimer to the effect of, "This is how people WERE back then."
The museum did a WWII exhibit a short while ago. It contained some pretty strong anti-German and anti-Japanese propoganda posters. They simply explained that this was the "sign of the times". Many people hated Germans and Japanese simply because they were "The Enemy" even though they had never before met one.

As far as "Last Temptation", that was a total let-down.
When that came out there was a lot of furor over the movie. Every time I walked by the theatre (The Cheri in Boston) there would be somebody outside protesting the film. One time, there was even a group of Nuns kneeling on the sidewalk and "praying"!
I went to watch it based solely on that and neither did I think it was as blasphemous as they made it out to be nor did I think it was a very good movie, otherwise.

(To be honest, I think it even makes Christ look MORE holy!)

I think one of two (or both) things was going on:

1) These people had never actually watched the movie and were just protesting on the say-so of others.

2) These protests were staged by somebody in order to drum up publicity for an otherwise Hum-Drum flick. (The old "Banned in Boston" thing! )

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-10-2002 10:30 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused. Is San Pedro a separate city or not?

Adam Martin

- posted 11-10-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
San Pedro used to be a separate city, but was annexed into the city of LA at some point.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats one of the few movies that actually played the japanese in a positive light...granted they were attacking, but the movie made them actually seem human, not facless, emotionless soldiers like many other movies. This councilwoman probably has her own adgenda she's working to.....

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-10-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Japanese-American, I agree 100% with Daniel. What a lot of people fail to remember or do not know is the Japanese segment of "TORA!TORA!TORA!" was filmed with top ranking Japanese actors by a Japanese film studio (Toho) in Japan from a script approved by both the US and Japanese filmmakers.

My late father refused to see the movie when it first played in a theatre because he was concerned that the movie will be very anti Japanese. He did see it many years later when we watched the movie together on a laserdisc at home and he was very pleased with the way the Japanese was portrayed.

-Claude

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-10-2002 03:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what her problem is.....

Christopher said:

quote:
"I feel like I am surrounded by morons."

How true...As days go on, I feel the same.

Adam Martin

- posted 11-10-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a good laugh when this picture of Paul came up on this thread.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should Photoshop a weenie over that microphone!

=TMP=

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-10-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam and Thomas, I was wondering how long it would take before someone noticed my new picture. That picture was taken while I was preparing for a political gig over the radio.

Neat, huh? Even the politicans liked it.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did they find a print with color?
Were they all "Color by DeLuxe or am I thinking of Midway?

Dennis

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 07:21 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the original release was Color by Deluxe. Doesn't mean there was never a newer print struck, though (doesn't mean there was one struck, either).

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-10-2002 08:06 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, If this is the way they think in the West Coast I would start heading back East as soon as possible. The next civil war will be the East against the West and we all know that the new West coast will be the Mississippi River and we will make sure all Western Politicians wear leaking life preservers.

Adam, Hurry Back...

P.S. I would love to wipe that smile off her face.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: