Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Uploading images??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Uploading images???
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2002 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
In the past several weeks I have uploaded several images that did not come through. To the best of my ability I followed the instructions and edited out any spaces I could see, but none of the images appeared. Why do we have to upload images this way when other web sites that use the same software do it directly, without having to do any after the fact modifications to the upload address? A good example of this is here in which you just select and upload a picture after down sizing it. In fact that web site rejects anything thats over the alloted size for images. The picture just appears after you refresh, or after you have uploaded it in your original posting. Is there any real pertinent reason we can't also do it this way?
Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you follow the directions step by step, it works fine. Direct me to an example so I can see what you are doing wrong.

I didn't see any upload feature on the site you linked to above. Even if it is hidden somewhere, they do not use the same forum software that I use here. I have many reasons for keeping this particular version and have no immediate plans to change.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, but I have had the same problems if the picture that I upload has more characters than can fit on one line with the code and the title, if I shorten the name it comes through though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2002 04:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actual file name of the image could be where some users are getting snagged and unable to upload their images. I don't know what the limits are on Brad's server, but many web servers will warn you to limit file names under 25 characters. Furthermore, they'll tell you to never have any spaces in the file name or use any unusual characters (like apostrophes or ampersands). Just plain letters and numbers with no spaces. This is in addition to the 500 pixel limit and file types being only JPEG or GIF.

I've uploaded several images over the past couple months and it has worked out fine for me. I uploaded two design examples in the "web development thread" just today.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last one I tried was this morning under the thread "2 projector Automation" Let me know what went wrong. Also why can't the whole thing be simplified like the other web sites that use this software?
Mark

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"just a thought":

Could it be because the Film-Tech uploading and renaming processes are a bit less than handy, that so few new pictures show up...?

p.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-09-2002 07:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, did the system respond saying the picture had been uploaded, and if so did you try taking that URL into another browser window to see if you could see the pic? Give an example file name--maybe as Bobby pointed out there is something about it the system isn't liking. Try renaming your downsized verson to something else like markpic1.jpg. I presume but do not know if the system will warn of duplicate file names.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, upload a picture of your choice, name it whatever you like and try to post it here. Your telling me to check the "2 projector automation" thread is useless, for there is nothing in your posts that hints you were even trying to post a picture. I need to see a failed attempt to diagnose. Specifically I need to see what you typed into your post, then I need to look at the files on the server, then I can see where you made your mistake to explain it to you.

I guarantee you that you are just making a simple mistake.

Also remember, I am not a computer programmer. As I have said before I fake my way through these code modifications to the forum program. But it's better to have something that does work with a few restrictions than not to have anything at all. In time it will get better. Things always do.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-09-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT - Deleted my re-written upload steps, since the procedure has changed some due to Daryl's new script.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-09-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Upload Instructions:
quote:
Do take special note that if you are viewing your pictures in a program other than Internet Explorer that the program may be shrinking them down to fit on your computer monitor.

By default IE6.0+ resizes pictures to fit the browser window if the file is opened directly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2002 10:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"By default IE6.0+ resizes pictures to fit the browser window if the file is opened directly."

Thanks for that tip. I did not know that. I have been trying to figure out a way to have the server check the image size and reject anything that is too large. If anyone is a super computer whiz programmer and is willing to assist, please contact me. Idiot proofing things is always a good idea.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2002 01:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Evans could help a little? He is a UNIX whiz, or at least I assume he is. He LOOKS like a UNIX whiz.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-10-2002 03:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The following script lists all of the .gif files in a directory and displays their width and height attributes. I'm sure you could use the formulas in it to serve your purposes. Note that it's only for .gif files. I wasn't able to quickly come up with any information on how image size is embedded in a jpeg file.

code:

#!/usr/bin/perl

# gifsize

open (OFN,">-"); # use standard output as default

if($#ARGV > -1) { # but allow redirection to a file name
close OFN;
open (OFN,">$ARGV[0]");
}

# print list header

print OFN sprintf("%-32s %-6s %-6s\n","Filename","Width","Height");

$w = "";
$h = "";

foreach $fn (<*.gif> ) { # list all .gif files
if ($fn =~ /\.gif/) { # redundant for now, until I figure out .jpg format
open (FH,$fn);
binmode FH;
read FH,$w,6; # skip first 6 bytes
read FH,$w,2; # width
read FH,$h,2; # height
close FH;
($wl,$wh) = unpack("CC",$w); # there is probably a more
($hl,$hh) = unpack("CC",$h); # elegant way to do this
$w = $wl + ($wh * 256);
$h = $hl + ($hh * 256);
print OFN sprintf("%-32s %6s %6s\n",$fn,$w,$h);
}
}

close OFN;

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-10-2002 07:18 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the JPEG code.

quote:
Even when the subject matter is depressing...

At least driving the carpool to the football game yesterday was relaxing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2002 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, re-naming the upload solved the problem. What I was doing was to save a copy at a smaller file size of the origial(I never alter the original shot and save it)and the name was a string of numbers fomr the camera and then copy after that to signify it was the copy. Just shortning it to lib.jpg1 and it came right up with no problem. I guess this was part of the changeover in digital cameras for me.
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: