Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Galaxy Quest: "The Movie"??

Author Topic: Galaxy Quest: "The Movie"??
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was over at a friend's house watching TV when a commercial for the Network Television Premiere of Galaxy Quest:The Movie was scheduled to air. I forgot the network and the day/time, but that's not important.

When this movie was in theaters, it was simply called "Galaxy Quest." I just find it odd that the television version had to distinguish that it is indeed a movie. Now I know the movie is supposed to be about the characters of an old fictional sci-fi TV show (Galaxy Quest) are taken aboard by aliens to command a real ship. But did the network really think their audience is that stupid, that they would assume it's the Galaxy Quest TV show that was going to air, so they had to indicate that it is indeed "Galaxy Quest: The Movie"?

Any thoughts on this? Have other films had their titles changed for the sake of TV? Will theaters ever run "The Simpsons: The TV Show"?

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think that's rather clever, just a joke of a title to further "spoof" the concept.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any thoughts on this? Have other films had their titles changed for the sake of TV?

It's not uncommon for movie titles to be changed for TV broadcasts or video releases. Some of the ones I can think of include 3-D movies with "3-D" in their original title.

Jaws 3-D became Jaws 3.

Amityville 3-D became Amityville: The Demon.

Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan became Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan upon its video release.

Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend became Dinosaur: Secret Of The Lost Legend.

And one that is sure to confuse some, Manhunter has been broadcast on TV under the title of the book in which it was based, Red Dragon (not to be confused with the latest entry in the Hannibal Lecter series of the same title).

Anyone remember the TV series Happy Days being changed to Happy Days Again when it went into syndication? Even its spin-off show Laverne & Shirley had a different syndicated title (though I forget what it was...I think Laverne & Shirley & Company).

Sometimes a title change is simply done for promotional purposes and isn't reflected in the on-screen title. The dumbest one here I can think of would have to be having Raiders Of The Lost Ark changed to Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

I agree with Paul that the title change for GalaxyQuest was likely an attempt to squeeze one more joke in.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-05-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about movies in theatres with 'Movie' at the end of the title?

Like:

Hey Arnold! The Movie
The Transformers: The Movie
The Brady Bunch Movie
The Wild Thornberrys Movie
Rugrats: The Movie
Rugrats in Paris: The Movie
Spin and Marty: The Movie

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget..

Jackass: The Movie

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-05-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they should all be called ': The TV Show'. Just to avoid confusion.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this is a nice little joke. It's a spoof of "STAR TREK: THE MOVIE", a movie that came from a TV show. They want us to assume that GALAXY QUEST is a real TV show.

A surprisingly nice movie...and Sigourney Weaver waited FAR too long to go blonde. Gives those of us in my age group some hope!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: