Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Get out and vote (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Get out and vote
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-05-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is general election day again here in the United States. It does not matter what party platform you support. It is very urgent that you support the political party and candidates who shares your views by voting.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 12:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to vote, but am stuck at home, sick, and my polling place is a three hour drive because I am registered in my home county and procrastinated too long to request an absentee ballot. Shame on me. Oh well, I'm in Florida so maybe my ballot would have been lost in the trunk of some senior citizen poll worker's car for months, anyway!

=TMP=

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-05-2002 02:36 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame on you Thomas!

I myself went out of my way to make sure I could vote today. I have many friends that never vote because they say thier vote doesn't count. NONSENSE. Here in Utah we have nearly One Million people eligible to vote, and only about 300 thousand that do. If all of these "my vote doesn't count" would just get together, the face of politics would change.

It's time to make a difference.

Dave

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-05-2002 03:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Hawaii became a state in 1959, 85% of the registered voters went to the polls to tell the US congress they accept statehood as mandated by the recently bill passed by that body and signed by President Eisenhower. Hawaii's population at that time was much less than a million people. Our population today is 1.5 million. As reported by the media, the number of people who had taken the time to vote during our recent primary election was a national disgrace. only 35% bothered to vote! Nationally, political pundits are predicting that voter turnout is expecting to be low in most states that does not have close elections. As far as I am concerned, it makes no difference how close an election is. If you did not vote, you do not have the right to complain about how your state and our country is governed.

-Claude

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen claude !!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff on the ballot in Oklahoma! Residents get to vote on items such as putting retired Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Steve Largent in the Governor's mansion. He'll probably win when voters consider the two other choices: A crackpot who thinks the state's economy will improve just by abolishing the turnpikes and a blood-sucking trial lawyer that keeps Oklahoma's worker's comp insurance situation among the worst in the nation.

I guess it is a natural career path for football players. Either they become an announcer on TV or a politician in Oklahoma. We already had Oklahoma University quarterback J.C. Watts in the U.S. Congress.

Most entertaining item on our ballot: voting to keep cock-fighting legal or ban it. BTW, cock-fighting is two roosters fighting to the death for wagering and not sword fighting with dildos (or your own naughty bits).

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I voted.

I hardly knew anything about the candidates from the TV ads. All they did was badmouth each other and tell me nothing about what they planned to do when they get to Washington, or Raleigh (state capitol)

I read some reviews of the candidates in a local alternative newspaper that seems to be more in touch with the PEOPLE than the local 100+ year old traditional newspaper. I made my decisions this way.

Personally, I am glad that Jesse Helms did not run again.
There are many here in NC that feel this way.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 02:02 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Minnesota - home of same-day voter registration ... ever wonder how Minnesota posts 80% state-wide "voter-turnout"? Look at the individual precincts. The precinct I used to vote in (Mankato P-14), had 142% voter turn-out. Just so happens, I was across the street from Minnesota State University. Their "turn-out" is just a comparison of the number that voted vs. the number that were registered AS OF 7AM ELECTION DAY. All you have to do to vote if you're not on the list is bring in a utility bill.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-06-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I voted....but my vote for anything that involved a tax increase was "NO!" this time.

Washington State Government of the Evergreen (or Everstump) State seems to be nuts about the "Tax and Spend" philosophy.

Not associated with voting, but a "Stump Permit" is needed to haul off an old tree stump from your property up here. (I'm not kidding)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-06-2002 02:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God forbid you try to burn an uprooted stump in your backyard. You'll need a fire permit, still get fined for burning a stump, then still have to pay to have it 'deposited' in a 'stump dump'.

Actually my neighbors aircraft runway gets longer every year from his stump dump. The best part is, he makes enough money off of it that he can afford to pay someone to keep the grass on the runway cut.

IIRC you can use a utility bill here to vote too. Actually it's any piece of mail that is addressed to you.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada's question 9 on the ballot is to make it legal to own up to 3oz. of marijuana. The government will grow and sell marijuana and tax the living out of it and probably make a killing on it if it passes. After I post this, I will be heading to the news sites to see what happend on it.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question 9 was shot down by roughly 2:1. I guess the pot heads got lost at the 7-11 gathering snacks on the they to the polls.

On top of that, the people voted to have the government take over Nevada Power and that gay marriages are illegal. I swear the people here suffer from rectal cranial inversion. Why should the government care about if a married couple is gay or not?

The NV Power thing also confounds me as well. It will cost the tax payers here $3 billion. The reason for take over...to cut costs. Right, like that is going to happen with the state controlling it.

I am about to go on a major rant but I won't bore you. I will just blame the rednecks here in NV. I am surrounded by morons...

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 09:08 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Tennessee last night, we ended up with a new governor... who used to be the Mayor of Nashville, and we also ended up with a change in the state constitition to now allow the state to have a lottery.

Nothing really exciting.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 11:30 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 6 Amendmants and 5 Referendums to vote on this year ...

The most notable being 79-21 an amendment was approved that disallowed candidates in default on state, local, or federal taxes from running for public office. Oh, and now we have a new license plate program "Get your pet neutered"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-06-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christoper, Nevada Power taken over by the government? That'll screw it up for sure...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: