Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New 70mm print of RYAN'S DAUGHTER (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New 70mm print of RYAN'S DAUGHTER
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will be a screening at the Motion Picture Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Los Angeles November 15 of a new 70mm print of David Lean's Ryan's Daughter.
here

Despite the lack of any new films in 70mm, the format sure seems to be enjoying a "comeback" of sorts lately. Between the new prints of Lawrence Of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Play Time, as well as the American Cinematheque's recent screenings of Lord Jim, Patton, and Hello, Dolly!, the El Capitan's run of Sleeping Beauty, and now this new print of Ryan's Daughter, there has been plenty of opportunities to see some 70mm. The great thing is that these have all been genuine large-format productions (rather than blow-ups) and some of these new prints have been made directly off the original negatives resulting in very impressive image quality.

There is a new 70mm print of Baraka floating around right now, too. I've been told that a new print of The Sound Of Music has been considered, as well.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 02:48 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Acording to the Krikorian Theatres website<krikoriantheatres.com> They'll be showing Lion King in 70mm in December. Note how they describe 70mm as "technologically advanced", put that one in your pipe video projector folks.

Danny

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-04-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WRT Lion King in 70mm: is that a reference to the IMAX engagement, or will they actually be showing a 5-perf print in a 'normal' theatre?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WRT Lion King in 70mm: is that a reference to the IMAX engagement, or will they actually be showing a 5-perf print in a 'normal' theatre?

Five-perf? I'll believe it when I see it.

The plan is to release The Lion King as they did with Beauty And The Beast. That is, 8-perf and 15-perf "special venue" 70mm prints (arguably a different type of 70mm than conventional 5-perf 70mm). The image will be printed letterboxed at roughly 1.66:1.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-04-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Krikorian has a Ballantyne 8/70 projector. The Lion King opens "in IMAX and other Giant Screen theatres" December 25.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 03:16 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"in IMAX and other Giant Screen theatres"

IMAX = 15-perf

Giant Screen = 8-perf

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 04:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael wrote"IMAX = 15-perf

Giant Screen = 8-perf"
Not allways Iwerks and World Odessey 15 perf are usually refered to as giant screen

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST had several non-IMAX runs using 15 perf IWERKS projectors and were advertised as GIANT SCREEN. Same print format, different projector system (aren't these projectors basically IMAX clones?) Most non-IMAX Giant Screen runs of BATB used 8-pef vertical projection though. Although with the new Regal contract, the 8-perf machines are going out of the Edwards So. California theatres with the IMAX projectors going back in.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-04-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember if it was American Cinematographer or some other movie-tech magazine, but the world premiere engagement of "The Lion King" at Radio City Music Hall in New York did feature a 5-perf 70mm print. Audio was in Dolby Digital via an interlocked 35mm print with DD soundtracking.

The same method was used on four 70mm prints of "Pocahontas" for its world premiere in Central Park.

The new, upcoming re-release of "The Lion King" will feature some IMAX blow up prints.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to Disney's penchant for perfection at special screenings, they used 8 70mm prints for the Central Park showing. Only 4 prints were shown on the four screens, but 4 other prints were running in sync on projectors with the dousers closed in case of a breakdown. I think (if memory serves) only 4 of these prints were sounded.

Here's a link to the Radio city Music Hall's experience with The Lion King:
here

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby wrote:
quote:
I don't remember if it was American Cinematographer or some other movie-tech magazine, but the world premiere engagement of "The Lion King" at Radio City Music Hall in New York did feature a 5-perf 70mm print. Audio was in Dolby Digital via an interlocked 35mm print with DD soundtracking.

My mention of believing there was/is a 5-perf 70mm print of The Lion King when I see it earlier in the thread was in reference to the upcoming re-release, not the original release.

"Some other movie-tech magazine?" Come on, Bobby...you know damn well which magazine it was that mentioned all of this.

Sure, the audio for the Radio City run was from interlocked Dolby Digital, but the prints were still striped and sounded for future (and backup) use.

quote:
The same method was used on four 70mm prints of "Pocahontas" for its world premiere in Central Park.

I'll need to double-check, but I don't think they used the same method for Pocahontas. The sound was from one of the striped prints, intentionally mis-synced to compensate for the huge venue. And there were more than four prints. The Special Edition laserdisc is one source that went into detail on this.

quote:
The new, upcoming re-release of "The Lion King" will feature some IMAX blow up prints.

Really? Isn't this what has been discussed during the past six or seven posts??? And technically, these new Large Format prints aren't blow-ups since the footage was derived from computer files.

Gordon wrote:

quote:
Not allways Iwerks and World Odessey 15 perf are usually refered to as giant screen

You're correct. There are exceptions. I overlooked this exception. My comment was made in response to Adam mentioning the advertising blurb "In IMAX and other Giant Screen Theaters" in which the Krikorian 8-perf presentation would fall under the "Giant Screen" category. The blurb, of course, allows studios to get around the fact that not all of the theaters running these movies will be "IMAX"-brand and more than one Special Venue format may be used. But you're right; "Giant Screen" is a generic term that can include both 8- and 15-perf 70mm formats.

I realize these forum threads often drift, but what's with this discussion becoming all about The Lion King and Special Venue? If I would've known that was what would end up being discussed, I wouldn't have posted the Ryan's Daughter info. I thought (maybe I guessed wrong) that some of you might be interested in discussing these classics resurfacing in 70mm.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some info from the Pocahontas Central Park run. here

this information was compiled by William Kalley and Michael Coate for the in 70mm and Widescreen Review websites and magazines.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of soundtrack on Ryan?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of soundtrack on Ryan?

Not sure yet. I'll try to confirm.

Warner Bros. is handling it, and they did the recent 2001 prints in mag. The recent DTS-70mm prints have been from Fox and Columbia.

Steve,
Do you have a preference? Can you run both?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Coate wrote:
quote:
If I would've known that was what would end up being discussed, I wouldn't have posted the Ryan's Daughter info. I thought (maybe I guessed wrong) that some of you might be interested in discussing these classics resurfacing in 70mm.

I think maybe as far as most people are concerned, these repurposed IMAX films are as close to 70mm as many parts of the country will see again. As for me, I am really happy to have seen four of the 70mm film classics revived in Los Angeles (and such a change from having to view only blow-ups). Now if a way can be found to have more than a one night showing of Ryan's Daughter (undeniably slow on the small screen) or Lord Jim or Patton, then I'll be happy. It was a great day for me last month to catch LOA, 2001: a Space Odyssey and Hello Dolly. It's just the one day showings make it a bit difficult to see all three in one day.

Baraka is truly a beautiful film that I got to see in 70mm at the Showcase in Hollywood during it's intial run. I hope anyone who cares about cinematography gets the chance to catch it on this re-release.

Interestingly, some of these films (Patton, Hello Dolly) were made of the ON's and not from IN's or seperation masters. I think the inherent quality of the prints should lay to rest the myth that negatives of old films aren't capable of achieving just as good, or even better results than when they were new. I see no way Hello Dolly could have looked better in 1969 (except for the duped credit sequences) and may not have even looked as good as today.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: