Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows ME Registry Files

Author Topic: Windows ME Registry Files
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-01-2002 04:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Windows ME is having some problems. It won't recognize passwords for network logon, and it won't restore itself to a previous date. I would like to re-install the Windows ME without lunching out anymore files than necessary. I could do "Regedit", but for the most part, I don't know what to edit.

I tried re-installing ME once, but both problems still exist. I used the orginal Windows ME full install disk. Lately, the computer has been a little "flakey" but it is virus free.

The problems never existed before.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 10:27 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you trying to login to a network?
If not you may just remove you network adapter settings and reinstall them.
Also, are you using a "Firewall"?
That might be stopping you.

Also, if you want to try it there is a registry cleaner that I used to repair my XP problem I was having. Damn program worked great for me.
Here is the link here

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 10:59 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Having absolutely zero experience with Windows ME, I don't know what to tell you, except for this: If you do not know what you are doing, DO NOT edit the registry!! I'm sure you know this, but I just wanted to remind you, because if you mess with the wrong thing, you could quickly turn your computer into a fancy door stop.

If you have all your important data backed up, I would suggesting formatting the hard drive and start from scratch.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-02-2002 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, that is what I am going to do. My data base on that computer filled up a second 30 gig-drive. There was just "too many flakey issues" and I don't have time to fool around solving every problem. When I get home from the theatre tonight, I'm gonna format that thing and start from ground Zero.

The biggest pain is I have a whole flock of hardware and programs to re-install, one by one. I found in the past that if all the hardware is installed and the operationg system is re-loaded, there are just too many IRQ and DMA collisions of the hardware.

Doing it chunk by chunk seems to work better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: