Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film Editor Margaret Booth passes away

Author Topic: Film Editor Margaret Booth passes away
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-31-2002 04:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Editor Margaret Booth passes away at 104 years old.
She began her career cutting silent film with D.W. Griffith.
But she spent most of her 70 year career as a Film Editor
at MGM from 1930 to 1968. She got a Oscar nom for the film
"Mutiny on the Bounty" 1935. After MGM, she was Rastar's
supervising film editor till she retired in 1986.

Just imagine all the film history , she got to see and work with.
During that time she saw all the great film directors work.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-31-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realizr that she was still around and lived to 104. Thats really amazing. I also remember her as one that liked to teach the new generation of editors as well.
Mark

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Mark.
Margaret and Vera Fields came to class when I was in Film School.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-01-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

What a period to be alive in and to love film! You got to see it practically from film's birth to it's demise. To go from silent to sound, from B&W to color, from mono to stereo, from small halls to movie palaces to multiplexes, from optical to mag to digital...from nitrate to bitrate from 8mm to IMAX...

I mean this is an impressive career span and a top person to boot!

WOW.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 08:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic but related; I wonder how long Riefenstahl's going to last. There are at least two pretty devastating biographies just waiting for her to pop off (their publishers don't want to risk lawsuits), so I guess she'll spite us all and go on for a good while yet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: