Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Richard Harris dies

Author Topic: Richard Harris dies
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-25-2002 03:53 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say it but actor Richard Harris has died in a london hospital after a bout with cancer.

His presence on the stage and screen will be sorely missed.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-25-2002 04:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences to his family and friends.

From the news:

The 72-year-old Irish actor has had chemotherapy sessions after being diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease.

Harris, who has been in hospital for two months, is expected to be able to work on the third Harry Potter film, "The Prisoner Of Azkaban."

His agent told the BBC: "He has responded very, very well to treatment and he should be out of hospital soon."

The veteran Irish actor fell ill in August after filming the second Harry Potter film, "The Chamber of Secrets," and went to a hospital suffering with a severe chest infection.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-25-2002 04:48 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Harris was one of the greats.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-25-2002 05:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Harris has been in many great films in decades past and in recent years. Most know him now as Professor Albus Dumbledore from the two completed Harry Potter films. And people have not forgotten him as Emperor Marcus Aurelius in "Gladiator," the 2000 winner of the Best Picture Oscar. Harris played English Bob in the Best Picture 1992 Oscar winner "Unforgiven," which, IMHO, is one of his best recent supporting actor efforts.

If I recall right, he was nominated for Best Actor in "The Field" back in 1990. His only other Best Actor Oscar nomination came for "This Sporting Life" in 1963, but he did win the BAFTA award for Best Actor on that film.

My parents identify Harris most by his performance in "Camelot." I think my father also has "The Guns of Navaronne" and "A Man Called Horse" in his video collection. To look at Harris' filmography on IMDB, it is very impressive. Perhaps the only truly embarrasing film on Harris' list is the 1981 bomb, "Tarzan, the Ape Man" (Harris earned a Razzie award as Worst Actor on that one). Harris made up for that with good work in other movies. I almost forgot he was in other films like "Orca" and "Patriot Games". Few actors can find themselves in so many popular films spanning four decades.

It is really a shame Richard Harris passed away. I was certain he had at least another decade of film work left in him.

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember enoying his performances since I started enjoying film. Alomst three years ago I stopped watching commercial TV -- but one of my fondest memories of TV is how Richard Harris lit up any talk-show on which he was the guest. The man could tell a story . . . .

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-25-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again!

Remember "MacArthur Park"?

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-26-2002 12:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remeber him best as Cromwell

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-27-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If all the Harry Potter 2 prints are not already struck, it would be nice if they could slip in an "In Memory Of" tribute to Richard Harris.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-27-2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To NYC's most infamous film technician.......

...... There is a chuckle, in Heaven today.

Those were the days.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-27-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay bob give us the details I think I know it might be the same as the JohnWayne/Liz Taylor one in Toronto

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2002 09:12 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me Richard Harris was one of the greatest. My favorite role was as King Arthur in Camelot. The Brits, in my opinion, are far superior as actors compared to what Hollywood turns out. In fact, I believe most British films (which contain actual STORIES and don't depend on sex, special effects violence and vulgar language to generate boxoffice) rank high over most of what Hollywood pumps out. Yes, Richard will be missed, but thankfully we have his films.

------------------
Bob
The Old Showman

Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2002 11:57 PM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hats off to his career! Richard Harris, you will be missed Good Sir.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to Film-Tech in a couple of weeks so I'm a little late posting on this thread. In 1979 while he was filming "Ravengers" on the USS Alabama in Mobile, Al, I was fortunate enough to have gotten Richard Harris's autograph. He was very business like, talking to a director or someone as he walked along scrawling his signature, but at least he was considerate enough to give a kid an autograph.
At the same location I also got Ernest Borgnine's autograph. He was very friendly and outgoing, very much as he appears in film. I never did see the film though. It was either never released or was not released in my area.

Rick

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a wee bit late to add a shout-out in the end credits of Harry Potter 2.

However, it's in plenty of time to give him an Oscar. You know, it's his "Definite Last Role" -- just like Peter Finch.

"MacArthur Park" became a classic thanks to WABC/New York. WABC was a pop music station from 1960-82. Every Tuesday was survey day -- the station held a meeting that morning to decide what songs would be heard on 77 that week. Program director Rick Sklar heard "MacArthur Park" in one of those Tuesday-morning meetings in 1968. He labeled it a smash and had it put on the air that week. The record just took off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: