Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Uptown Theatre showing "Lawrence"

Author Topic: Uptown Theatre showing "Lawrence"
George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2002 11:14 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Uptown theatre in Washington DC will be running "Lawrence Of Arabia" in 70mm for one week starting November 1. It will be a mag print. Mag sounds incredible at the Uptown

|  IP: Logged

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched this at the Arclite in L.A. I was really looking forward to it as I've only run this on reels and never been able to sit and watch it - and I love the film.

A couple things bothered me - one was the light. There was a hotspot down towards the lower left side and the right quarter of the screen was pretty dark. The sound was nice, (A THX house) but missing that 'warmth' I'm used to hearing from 70mag - though I'm sure this was a mag print as there was some hiss and I could hear the splices in advance in a couple places.

I was expecting this to be in "the dome" but it was in one of their regular houses with no curtain. Apart from those two things and the odd scratches in part one, I was thoroughly engulfed in the film and enjoyed the presentation none-the-less which was otherwise nearly flawless.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's playing in the Dome? It must be something really good if they had to stick Lawrence in a curtain-less house.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-26-2002 11:12 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 50th anniversity restored 3 panel print of "This is Cinerama" which has no other place to be moved into

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2002 12:11 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Dome is currently showing THE RING. And many L.A. theatres that have curtains aren't using them today, including Loew's and Landmark, so they may as well be curtainless.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark's Cecci Gori Fine Arts are using their curtain and Landmark's Regent in Westwood uses theirs (currently being re-installed as the mounts were coming out of the ceiling).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: