Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Password remembered by Opera

Author Topic: Password remembered by Opera
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-23-2002 08:44 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I get Opera to remember my password so I don`t have to type everytime? Can this or an other browser be personalised so that I don`t have to type in anything, that means that my user name and password appear automatically when I open the reply mask?
Michael

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I downloaded a free program called Gator Wallet. My daughter deleted it saying it spies on its users, causing them to receive advertising based on their online experience. When you install, you can avoid checking the boxes indicating your interests or "make my address available to receive stuff", Anyway, she wiped out my business usernames and passwords for a half-dozen websites, but fortunately I was able to recover them, and re-installed Gator on one computer.

MSN used to remember my passwords as well, but apparently she disabled that as well, and I don't know how to enable it again.
Anyone know how?

If you search "Remember Passwords" you will find many such programs, many free. Probably free ones all have some commercial ties to banner, pop-up or email advertising. Any recommendations?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-23-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really want your browser (or any other piece of software) to store your passwords? This leaves you vulnerable to two potential issues: someone else using your machine could login as you or anyone with the ability to read files on your machine (perhaps through the latest MS-Windows bug-o-the-week) would have access to your passwords.

Admittedly, Film-Tech passwords aren't exactly highly-guarded secrets (and are transmitted in cleartext across the net with every post--which is one of several reasons why no one should be using the same password for forums [fora?] like this as for "sensitive" accounts like ISP or office accounts), but there's no reason to put them at risk, either.

(To answer another question before someone asked it: yes, we could use SSL--I've already configured it on the web server--to avoid transmitting passwords in the clear, but it would reduce performance and might cause problems with some browsers; SSL is an important part of security for online transactions and such, but is really overkill for something like Film-Tech.)

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-23-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested in finding out just what spyware exists on your PC right this very minute, try a program called here. It's FREE!

Edit: The software is called Ad-Aware. Apparently, we're not allowed to specify link text anymore.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-23-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard,

Make sure you delete ALL of that Gator stuff. That crap will screw up your computer and actually ADD popups to various sites that don't even have advertisements (like this one). Be forewarned, just because you delete one Gator program, there is usually a couple of other hidden ones still lurking on your computer that will self-initiate from time to time and yes they do spy on what you do on the internet. They have a few nasty tricks that fool users into downloading their crap that mimic Windows screens. It's not just popups either, you'll be put on every spam list in the universe, as they will profit from your personal info. That company should be burned to the ground.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, Adam and Brad!
And I thought my daughter was over-reacting!...
Gerard

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: